(games) Pachisi & Ludo –_pc_games,_hi

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

History, rules and list of pc games to the board game Pachisi & Ludo.

http://home.no.net/vkp3/index.html

The site lists 12 online, 36 freeware / abandonware and 25 commercial games.

Pachisi = 'Twenty-five'. Descendants include Ludo (England) and
Parcheesi (USA). Ludo is also known as Mensch Ärgere dich nicht
(Germany), Mens-erger-je-niet (the Netherlands), Parchís or Parkase
(Spain), Le Jeu de Dada or Petits Chevaux (France), Non t'arrabbiare
(Italy), Fia med knuff (Sweden), Parqués (Colombia).

Feedback always appreciated ;-)
regards from

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

My sites:
Solitaire MahJongg: http://home.halden.net/vkp/vkp/
Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire: http://home.halden.net/vkp/
Freeware Logo & symbol: http://home.no/buffy2/
Chinese Checkers: http://home.no.net/vkp/
Pachisi & Ludo: http://home.no.net/vkp3/
My fishy site (fishing games): http://home.no/vkp32/
a.c.f.g information: http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acfg/acfg.php
18+ - Adult Solitaire: http://home.no.net/rachel12/
18+ - Fishy Pictures: http://home.no.net/rachel12/fishy/
Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb: http://www.fredrikshald-havfiske.no

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

On that special day, Vegard Krog Petersen,
(vegard_krog_petersen@hotmail.com) said...

> http://home.no.net/vkp3/index.html
>
> The site lists 12 online, 36 freeware / abandonware and 25 commercial games.

That's an impressive collection.

Some remarks (I only looked at the freeware section)

"Platt!" just means "flat". If something is run over (eg by a car) and
suffers, we do a bit exaggerate and say "that one is flat" (as it
usually happens to Wile E Coyote in Tex Avery Cartoons)

The "official" game is published by Schmidt Spiele, which nearly went
extinct only a few years ago, probably 1997. At least this is the year
when the descendants of the founder stopped managing it. Then they
somehow revived the publisher, and now it seems to be well and running
again.

Currently there is an exhibition in the German Games Museum in
Nuremberg; because the game has celebrated its 90th birthday.

http://www.museen.nuernberg.de/spielzeug/index_spielzeug.html

"Mensch ärgere dich nicht" ist das mit Abstand beliebteste Spiel der
Deutschen. Als der Münchner Spielefabrikant Josef Friedrich Schmidt im
Kriegsjahr 1914 die ersten 3000 Schachteln an Militärlazarette
verschenkte, ahnte er wohl kaum, welcher Siegeszug seinem Spiel
bevorstand. Doch das geniale Rezept aus kinderleichten Regeln und
unwägbarem Würfelglück fand rasch Millionen von Anhängern.

(translated)
"Man don't anger" is by far the most popular game of the Germans. When
the Munic game publisher Josef Friedrich Schmidt presented the first
3000 boxes to the military hospitals in the year 1914, he probably had
no idea about the triumphant success that his game would have. But this
ingenious recipe of simple rules and uncalculable dice luck quickly
found millions of followers."

The museum at least mentions that there is an Indian predecessor;
www.schmidt-spiele.de does nothing like that.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

[Cut and paste from Google Groups since Gabriele's message never
apparead in my newsreader!]

Gabriele Neukam wrote:
>> Vegard Krog Petersen wrote:
>> History, rules and list of pc games to the board game Pachisi & Ludo.
>> http://home.no.net/vkp3/index.html
>> The site lists 12 online, 36 freeware / abandonware and 25 commercial
>> games.
>
> That's an impressive collection.

Thank you! :)

> "Platt!" just means "flat". If something is run over (eg by a car) and
> suffers, we do a bit exaggerate and say "that one is flat"

Thanks! I did wonder what Platt! meant.

> The "official" game is published by Schmidt Spiele
> "Mensch ärgere dich nicht"
> The museum at least mentions that there is an Indian predecessor;
> www.schmidt-spiele.de does nothing like that.

Thanks Gabriele, for this information. I did not research the history of
"Mensch ärgere dich nicht" in Germany, because it almost 100% similiar
to the standard english Ludo game.

Something "funny" - I launched three new websites January 2nd - the two
adult ones were so swamped I exceeded the allowed bandwith at once - but
not the Pachisi & Ludo site - I do wonder why... ;-)

Regards from Vegard