Dell did ok with this

As you've seen from my posts, we are having problems with the graphics in IE on a new Inspiron 6000. And we received no disks at all. This was bought thru the EPP/FSS program, student. I ws told that if I had bought thru small business I would have received the disks. I called, explained the situation and they sent out a disk on Friday which includes the OS, drivers, software, everything according to the customer service. I just received it.

I also got a call from customer service to let me know that the new laptop that they decided to send out per my call Friday night, will be shipped tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest, built per my original specs, another new one and not a refurbished one. I told them if it had the same trouble as the first, we would just keep the first one since we've had a work around to make it better. She said no problem, just let us know which one you want to return and we will put in an order for them to come pick it up.. But not everyting has worked perfect. The tech that we spoke with Friday night said their computers were down, he couldn't give us a case number but gave us his name and badge number. Said he would call Monday morning with the case number and new order number. When I called this morning, the new person I spoke with said she found the call but also found that he had never placed the order, so she did.......

Per the Dell Forums, a lot of 6000 are having the same problems with the graphics in IE and they have posted workarounds that haven't worked yet the way we want, but there was a new one this morning we will try. In fact, on Dell's automated phone service, there is a message that if you have recently downloaded all the new critical updates and have problems with your graphics, the only way to solve it is to go down to a 1024 resolution. So they are aware of problems too.

--
Cyndi

Cyndi--

I think what may be happening here is that IE's non-standard coding is
(finally) catching up with it. One of the big complaints about IE is
that it does not use standard HTML, but rather a variant that M$ uses.
Since IE is so pervasive, many developers only write code for IE, thus
causing trouble for those browsers that use standard,open-source
HTML...like Mozilla, Firefox, etc. The result is that pages that look
OK in IE may not look OK with another browser unless the developer has
coded the site so that it works well with browsers other than IE.

Kinda like what one of the other posts said about your son developing
sites for IE...IMHO he needs to code for more than just IE.

Tom S.
Houston, TX

In article <RmXve.329$cb6.308@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>,
Tom Simchak <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote:
>Cyndi--
>
>I think what may be happening here is that IE's non-standard coding is
>(finally) catching up with it.

I think some of this is IE trying to be a little too helpful. The UseHR
flag's purpose in life is to disable IE's attempt to resize bitmaps to
better fit higher resolution dislays. Since bitmaps don't scale up very
well, they look blurry. I think the choice boils down to blurry, big
bitmaps or too small bitmaps. I don't know how UseHR impacts fonts.

Oh, I just thought of something else worth playing around with. MSIE has a
zoom capability that doesn't appear to be very well documented. I don't
know how to get at it on an i6000's touchpad, but holding down the control
key and using the scroll wheel on a mouse will adjust a zoom setting.

-Mike
--
http://www.mschaef.com

yep, and he does agree now too, after seeing evidence of this.
--
Cyndi

"MSCHAEF.COM" <mschaef@eris.io.com> wrote in message news:NfadnWMDZLyi2l3fRVn-1w@io.com...

> Oh, I just thought of something else worth playing around with. MSIE has a
> zoom capability that doesn't appear to be very well documented. I don't
> know how to get at it on an i6000's touchpad, but holding down the control
> key and using the scroll wheel on a mouse will adjust a zoom setting.

FWIW, later versions of IE also support a zoom attribute which
one could trigger via bookmarklet (google). As an example, enter
the following in your address bar after loading a page:

javascript:(function(){document.body.style.zoom="125%";}())

Which, again, performs low quality image scaling and I've read
that there are some other issues, but whatever. If one is really
motivated they could use page/site specific bookmarkets to adjust
this and/or other attributes of specific elements to tune appearance,
or if they are really really motivated they could write a BHO or
what have you to automate things, probably even higher quality
image scaling.

Personally, I'm bearing with non-native & 96 DPI until I see what
Longhorn, Avalon, IE7, etc bring to the table.

As an aside, it kinda sounds to me like Dell screwed the pooch on
this one. One can only wonder how much support time has been
consumed and how many replacement systems were sent out...
for nothing. A higher DPI setting on Windows = issues, and that
has always been the case. One piece of paper in the box and/or
a FAQ type thing thrown up when the machine is first powered
on would have gone far.

We found that out last night. Great idea in websites, really works good.
--
Cyndi
"MSCHAEF.COM" <mschaef@eris.io.com> wrote in message news:NfadnWMDZLyi2l3fRVn-1w@io.com...
> In article <RmXve.329$cb6.308@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>,
> Tom Simchak <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote:
> >Cyndi--
> >
> >I think what may be happening here is that IE's non-standard coding is
> >(finally) catching up with it.
>
> I think some of this is IE trying to be a little too helpful. The UseHR
> flag's purpose in life is to disable IE's attempt to resize bitmaps to
> better fit higher resolution dislays. Since bitmaps don't scale up very
> well, they look blurry. I think the choice boils down to blurry, big
> bitmaps or too small bitmaps. I don't know how UseHR impacts fonts.
>
> Oh, I just thought of something else worth playing around with. MSIE has a
> zoom capability that doesn't appear to be very well documented. I don't
> know how to get at it on an i6000's touchpad, but holding down the control
> key and using the scroll wheel on a mouse will adjust a zoom setting.
>
> -Mike
> --
> http://www.mschaef.com

I agree.........

--
Cyndi
"User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:ifmdnffaDsNGBV3fRVn-og@comcast.com...

> [...]

> that there are some other issues, but whatever. If one is really
> motivated they could use page/site specific bookmarkets to adjust
> this and/or other attributes of specific elements to tune appearance,
> or if they are really really motivated they could write a BHO or
> what have you to automate things, probably even higher quality
> image scaling.
>
> Personally, I'm bearing with non-native & 96 DPI until I see what
> Longhorn, Avalon, IE7, etc bring to the table.
>
> As an aside, it kinda sounds to me like Dell screwed the pooch on
> this one. One can only wonder how much support time has been
> consumed and how many replacement systems were sent out...
> for nothing. A higher DPI setting on Windows = issues, and that
> has always been the case. One piece of paper in the box and/or
> a FAQ type thing thrown up when the machine is first powered

I agree with your response, however 95% of computer users *NEVER* read any
of the drop sheets, owners manuals, or screen warnings. Most computer
buyers can't even tell you where the owners manual is 1 week after
purchasing the computer. You could literally print it in full color, attach
it to the CPU in such a manner that you would have to physically remove the
paper in order to use the CPU, and 90% would still not read it, and then
would swear that they never saw it at all.

Bobby

....and they would call anyone who told them to simply read the manual a
"Dellbot." Same mentality.

Ted Zieglar