Legal Power Output by Country

Is there a resource that lists the legal power output (mW) of an Access
Point, by country?
12 answers Last reply
More about legal power output country

    I'll start the ball rolling.
    Australia follows

    Frequency Band (MHz)
    Maximum Equivalent Isotropically Radiated Power (EIRP)

    915 to 928
    1 watt

    2400 to 2483.5
    4 watts
    (devices other than frequency hopping devices with a bandwidth greater
    than 1 MHz)

    2400 to 2483.5
    500 milliwatts
    (frequency hopping devices with a bandwidth greater than 1 MHz)

    5725 to 5875
    1 watt

    "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a resource that lists the legal power output (mW) of an Access
    > Point, by country?

    I'm talking about consumer use of 802.11g, for example. Surely the output
    levels you quoted are for special use, because they seem way high to be
    legal. These would be considered multiple times over what the FCC allows in
    the US.

    "BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'll start the ball rolling.
    > Australia follows
    >
    > Frequency Band (MHz)
    > Maximum Equivalent Isotropically Radiated Power (EIRP)
    >
    > 915 to 928
    > 1 watt
    >
    > 2400 to 2483.5
    > 4 watts
    > (devices other than frequency hopping devices with a bandwidth
    greater
    > than 1 MHz)
    >
    > 2400 to 2483.5
    > 500 milliwatts
    > (frequency hopping devices with a bandwidth greater than 1 MHz)
    >
    > 5725 to 5875
    > 1 watt
    >

    > "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Is there a resource that lists the legal power output (mW) of an Access
    > > Point, by country?

    IIRC the US is based on EIRP (Effective Radiated Power) which takes into
    account the loss of the coax and the gain of the antenna rather than a pure
    wattage figure - not sure what the maximum EIRP is here in the US though.

    Don Woodward

    > I'm talking about consumer use of 802.11g, for example. Surely the output
    > levels you quoted are for special use, because they seem way high to be
    > legal. These would be considered multiple times over what the FCC allows
    in
    > the US.
    >

    > "BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I'll start the ball rolling.
    > > Australia follows
    > >
    > > Frequency Band (MHz)
    > > Maximum Equivalent Isotropically Radiated Power (EIRP)
    > >
    > > 915 to 928
    > > 1 watt
    > >
    > > 2400 to 2483.5
    > > 4 watts
    > > (devices other than frequency hopping devices with a bandwidth
    > greater
    > > than 1 MHz)
    > >
    > > 2400 to 2483.5
    > > 500 milliwatts
    > > (frequency hopping devices with a bandwidth greater than 1 MHz)
    > >
    > > 5725 to 5875
    > > 1 watt
    > >

    > > "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Is there a resource that lists the legal power output (mW) of an
    Access
    > > > Point, by country?

    I believe you can find maximum EIRP tables in the 802.11 standard on the
    IEEE.org web-site, as well as on the Cisco web-site.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm talking about consumer use of 802.11g, for example. Surely the output
    > levels you quoted are for special use, because they seem way high to be
    > legal. These would be considered multiple times over what the FCC allows
    in
    > the US.
    >

    > "BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I'll start the ball rolling.
    > > Australia follows
    > >
    > > Frequency Band (MHz)
    > > Maximum Equivalent Isotropically Radiated Power (EIRP)
    > >
    > > 915 to 928
    > > 1 watt
    > >
    > > 2400 to 2483.5
    > > 4 watts
    > > (devices other than frequency hopping devices with a bandwidth
    > greater
    > > than 1 MHz)
    > >
    > > 2400 to 2483.5
    > > 500 milliwatts
    > > (frequency hopping devices with a bandwidth greater than 1 MHz)
    > >
    > > 5725 to 5875
    > > 1 watt
    > >

    > > "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Is there a resource that lists the legal power output (mW) of an
    Access
    > > > Point, by country?

    In the USA it depends on whether one is using a directional antenna or an
    omni. For an omni the max EIRP is 1 watt.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    "News Account" <none@none.com> wrote in message
    > IIRC the US is based on EIRP (Effective Radiated Power) which takes into
    > account the loss of the coax and the gain of the antenna rather than a
    pure
    > wattage figure - not sure what the maximum EIRP is here in the US though.
    >
    > Don Woodward
    >

    > "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm talking about consumer use of 802.11g, for example. Surely the
    output
    > > levels you quoted are for special use, because they seem way high to be
    > > legal. These would be considered multiple times over what the FCC allows
    > in
    > > the US.
    > >

    > > "BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I'll start the ball rolling.
    > > > Australia follows
    > > >
    > > > Frequency Band (MHz)
    > > > Maximum Equivalent Isotropically Radiated Power (EIRP)
    > > >
    > > > 915 to 928
    > > > 1 watt
    > > >
    > > > 2400 to 2483.5
    > > > 4 watts
    > > > (devices other than frequency hopping devices with a bandwidth
    > > greater
    > > > than 1 MHz)
    > > >
    > > > 2400 to 2483.5
    > > > 500 milliwatts
    > > > (frequency hopping devices with a bandwidth greater than 1 MHz)
    > > >
    > > > 5725 to 5875
    > > > 1 watt
    > > >

    > > > "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Access

    For North America, the 802.11b/g standards state limits of 1 watt, for
    Europe 100 mW. Transmitters capable of more than 100 mW are required by the
    standard to provide the ability to limit the power to 100 mW or less.

    "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
    > I believe you can find maximum EIRP tables in the 802.11 standard on the
    > IEEE.org web-site, as well as on the Cisco web-site.
    >
    > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
    >
    > "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm talking about consumer use of 802.11g, for example. Surely the
    output
    > > levels you quoted are for special use, because they seem way high to be
    > > legal. These would be considered multiple times over what the FCC allows
    > in
    > > the US.
    > >

    > > "BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I'll start the ball rolling.
    > > > Australia follows
    > > >
    > > > Frequency Band (MHz)
    > > > Maximum Equivalent Isotropically Radiated Power (EIRP)
    > > >
    > > > 915 to 928
    > > > 1 watt
    > > >
    > > > 2400 to 2483.5
    > > > 4 watts
    > > > (devices other than frequency hopping devices with a bandwidth
    > > greater
    > > > than 1 MHz)
    > > >
    > > > 2400 to 2483.5
    > > > 500 milliwatts
    > > > (frequency hopping devices with a bandwidth greater than 1 MHz)
    > > >
    > > > 5725 to 5875
    > > > 1 watt
    > > >

    > > > "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Access

    Anyone know the maximum EIRP in the USA for directional antenna on
    802.11a/b/g devices?

    Don Woodward

    gary <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    > For North America, the 802.11b/g standards state limits of 1 watt,

    I doubt that very much AFAIK the max in the US is also 100 mw!

    --
    Groeten,

    Antonio (Voor email, verwijder X)

    PrismDom.ini ...

    [DOMAINS]
    DomainName16=FCC
    DomainName32=IC
    DomainName48=ETSI
    DomainName49=Spain
    DomainName50=France
    DomainName64=MPHPT

    [US]
    DomainName=FCC
    GroupA=FCCA
    GroupBG=FCCBG

    [CA]
    DomainName=IC
    GroupA=ICA
    GroupBG=FCCBG

    [AT]
    DomainName=ETSI
    GroupA=ETSIA
    GroupBG=ETSIBG

    [BE]
    DomainName=ETSI
    GroupA=ETSIA
    GroupBG=ETSIBG

    [DK]
    DomainName=ETSI
    GroupA=ETSIA
    GroupBG=ETSIBG

    [FI]
    DomainName=ETSI
    GroupA=ETSIA
    GroupBG=ETSIBG

    [DE]
    DomainName=ETSI
    GroupA=ETSIA
    GroupBG=ETSIBG

    [IE]
    DomainName=ETSI
    GroupA=ETSIA
    GroupBG=ETSIBG

    [IS]
    DomainName=ETSI
    GroupA=ETSIA
    GroupBG=ETSIBG

    [IT]
    DomainName=ETSI
    GroupA=ETSIA
    GroupBG=ETSIBG

    [CH]
    DomainName=ETSI
    GroupA=ETSIA
    GroupBG=ETSIBG

    DomainName=ETSI
    GroupA=ETSIA
    GroupBG=ETSIBG

    [NO]
    DomainName=ETSI
    GroupA=ETSIA
    GroupBG=ETSIBG

    [NL]
    DomainName=ETSI
    GroupA=ETSIA
    GroupBG=ETSIBG

    [SE]
    DomainName=ETSI
    GroupA=ETSIA
    GroupBG=ETSIBG

    [GB]
    DomainName=ETSI
    GroupA=ETSIA
    GroupBG=ETSIBG

    [HU]
    DomainName=ETSI
    GroupA=ETSIA
    GroupBG=ETSIBG

    [PL]
    DomainName=ETSI
    GroupA=ETSIA
    GroupBG=ETSIBG

    [SG]
    GroupA=GP03A
    GroupBG=ETSIBG

    [HK]
    GroupA=GP02A
    GroupBG=ETSIBG

    [KR]
    GroupA=GP01A
    GroupBG=ETSIBG

    [AU]
    GroupA=ICA
    GroupBG=ETSIBG

    [NZ]
    GroupA=ICA
    GroupBG=ETSIBG

    [ZA]
    GroupA=GP01A
    GroupBG=ETSIBG

    [CN]
    GroupA=ETSIA
    GroupBG=ETSIBG

    [JP]
    DomainName=MPHPT
    GroupA=MPHPTA
    GroupBG=MPHPTBG

    [TW]
    GroupA=FCCA

    ;******************************************
    ; FCC 802.11 B and G
    ;******************************************
    [FCCBG]
    Channel1=1
    Frequency1=2412
    Power1=1000
    Db1=30

    Channel2=2
    Frequency2=2417
    Power2=1000
    Db2=30

    Channel3=3
    Frequency3=2422
    Power3=1000
    Db3=30

    Channel4=4
    Frequency4=2427
    Power4=1000
    Db4=30

    Channel5=5
    Frequency5=2432
    Power5=1000
    Db5=30

    Channel6=6
    Frequency6=2437
    Power6=1000
    Db6=30

    Channel7=7
    Frequency7=2442
    Power7=1000
    Db7=30

    Channel8=8
    Frequency8=2447
    Power8=1000
    Db8=30

    Channel9=9
    Frequency9=2452
    Power9=1000
    Db9=30

    Channel10=10
    Frequency10=2457
    Power10=1000
    Db10=30

    Channel11=11
    Frequency11=2462
    Power11=1000
    Db11=30

    ;******************************************
    ; FCC 802.11 A
    ;******************************************
    [FCCA]
    Channel1=36
    Frequency1=5180
    Power1=50
    Db1=17

    Channel2=40
    Frequency2=5200
    Power2=50
    Db2=17

    Channel3=44
    Frequency3=5220
    Power3=50
    Db3=17

    Channel4=48
    Frequency4=5240
    Power4=50
    Db4=17

    Channel5=52
    Frequency5=5260
    Power5=250
    Db5=24

    Channel6=56
    Frequency6=5280
    Power6=250
    Db6=24

    Channel7=60
    Frequency7=5300
    Power7=250
    Db7=24

    Channel8=64
    Frequency8=5320
    Power8=250
    Db8=24

    Channel9=149
    Frequency9=5745
    Power9=1000
    Db9=30

    Channel10=153
    Frequency10=5765
    Power10=1000
    Db10=30

    Channel11=157
    Frequency11=5785
    Power11=1000
    Db11=30

    Channel12=161
    Frequency12=5805
    Power12=1000
    Db12=30

    ;******************************************
    ; IC 802.11 A
    ;******************************************
    [ICA]
    Channel1=36
    Frequency1=5180
    Power1=50
    Db1=17

    Channel2=40
    Frequency2=5200
    Power2=50
    Db2=17

    Channel3=44
    Frequency3=5220
    Power3=50
    Db3=17

    Channel4=48
    Frequency4=5240
    Power4=50
    Db4=17

    Channel5=52
    Frequency5=5260
    Power5=250
    Db5=24

    Channel6=56
    Frequency6=5280
    Power6=250
    Db6=24

    Channel7=60
    Frequency7=5300
    Power7=250
    Db7=24

    Channel8=64
    Frequency8=5320
    Power8=250
    Db8=24

    Channel9=149
    Frequency9=5745
    Power9=1000
    Db9=30

    Channel10=153
    Frequency10=5765
    Power10=1000
    Db10=30

    Channel11=157
    Frequency11=5785
    Power11=1000
    Db11=30

    Channel12=161
    Frequency12=5805
    Power12=1000
    Db12=30

    ;******************************************
    ; ETSI 802.11 B and G
    ;******************************************
    [ETSIBG]
    Channel1=1
    Frequency1=2412
    Power1=100
    Db1=20

    Channel2=2
    Frequency2=2417
    Power2=100
    Db2=20

    Channel3=3
    Frequency3=2422
    Power3=100
    Db3=20

    Channel4=4
    Frequency4=2427
    Power4=100
    Db4=20

    Channel5=5
    Frequency5=2432
    Power5=100
    Db5=20

    Channel6=6
    Frequency6=2437
    Power6=100
    Db6=20

    Channel7=7
    Frequency7=2442
    Power7=100
    Db7=20

    Channel8=8
    Frequency8=2447
    Power8=100
    Db8=20

    Channel9=9
    Frequency9=2452
    Power9=100
    Db9=20

    Channel10=10
    Frequency10=2457
    Power10=100
    Db10=20

    Channel11=11
    Frequency11=2462
    Power11=100
    Db11=20

    Channel12=12
    Frequency12=2467
    Power12=100
    Db12=20

    Channel13=13
    Frequency13=2472
    Power13=100
    Db13=20

    ;******************************************
    ; ETSI 802.11 A
    ;******************************************
    [ETSIA]
    Channel1=36
    Frequency1=5180
    Power1=50
    Db1=17

    Channel2=40
    Frequency2=5200
    Power2=50
    Db2=17

    Channel3=44
    Frequency3=5220
    Power3=50
    Db3=17

    Channel4=48
    Frequency4=5240
    Power4=50
    Db4=17

    Channel5=52
    Frequency5=5260
    Power5=200
    Db5=23

    Channel6=56
    Frequency6=5280
    Power6=200
    Db6=23

    Channel7=60
    Frequency7=5300
    Power7=200
    Db7=23

    Channel8=64
    Frequency8=5320
    Power8=200
    Db8=23

    Channel9=100
    Frequency9=5500
    Power9=1000
    Db9=30

    Channel10=104
    Frequency10=5520
    Power10=1000
    Db10=30

    Channel11=108
    Frequency11=5540
    Power11=1000
    Db11=30

    Channel12=112
    Frequency12=5560
    Power12=1000
    Db12=30

    Channel13=116
    Frequency13=5580
    Power13=1000
    Db13=30

    Channel14=120
    Frequency14=5600
    Power14=1000
    Db14=30

    Channel15=124
    Frequency15=5620
    Power15=1000
    Db15=30

    Channel16=128
    Frequency16=5640
    Power16=1000
    Db16=30

    Channel17=132
    Frequency17=5660
    Power17=1000
    Db17=30

    Channel18=136
    Frequency18=5680
    Power18=1000
    Db18=30

    Channel19=140
    Frequency19=5700
    Power19=1000
    Db19=30

    ;******************************************
    ; MPHPT 802.11 B and G
    ;******************************************
    [MPHPTBG]
    Channel1=1
    Frequency1=2412
    Power1=100
    Db1=20

    Channel2=2
    Frequency2=2417
    Power2=100
    Db2=20

    Channel3=3
    Frequency3=2422
    Power3=100
    Db3=20

    Channel4=4
    Frequency4=2427
    Power4=100
    Db4=20

    Channel5=5
    Frequency5=2432
    Power5=100
    Db5=20

    Channel6=6
    Frequency6=2437
    Power6=100
    Db6=20

    Channel7=7
    Frequency7=2442
    Power7=100
    Db7=20

    Channel8=8
    Frequency8=2447
    Power8=100
    Db8=20

    Channel9=9
    Frequency9=2452
    Power9=100
    Db9=20

    Channel10=10
    Frequency10=2457
    Power10=100
    Db10=20

    Channel11=11
    Frequency11=2462
    Power11=100
    Db11=20

    Channel12=12
    Frequency12=2467
    Power12=100
    Db12=20

    Channel13=13
    Frequency13=2472
    Power13=100
    Db13=20

    Channel14=14
    Frequency14=2484
    Power14=100
    Db14=20

    ;******************************************
    ; MPHPT 802.11 A
    ;******************************************
    [MPHPTA]
    Channel1=-16
    Frequency1=4920
    Power1=250
    Db1=24

    Channel2=-12
    Frequency2=4940
    Power2=250
    Db2=24

    Channel3=-8
    Frequency3=4960
    Power3=250
    Db3=24

    Channel4=-4
    Frequency4=4980
    Power4=250
    Db4=24

    Channel5=8
    Frequency5=5040
    Power5=250
    Db5=24

    Channel6=12
    Frequency6=5060
    Power6=250
    Db6=24

    Channel7=16
    Frequency7=5080
    Power7=250
    Db7=24

    Channel8=34
    Frequency8=5170
    Power8=200
    Db8=23

    Channel9=38
    Frequency9=5190
    Power9=200
    Db9=23

    hannel10=42
    Frequency10=5210
    Power10=200
    Db10=23

    Channel11=46
    Frequency11=5230
    Power11=200
    Db11=23

    ;******************************************
    ; GROUP1 802.11 A
    ;******************************************
    [GP01A]
    Channel1=149
    Frequency1=5745
    Power1=200
    Db1=23

    Channel2=153
    Frequency2=5765
    Power2=200
    Db2=23

    Channel3=157
    Frequency3=5785
    Power3=200
    Db3=23

    Channel4=161
    Frequency4=5805
    Power4=200
    Db4=23

    ;******************************************
    ; GROUP2 802.11 A
    ;******************************************
    [GP02A]
    Channel1=149
    Frequency1=5745
    Power1=1000
    Db1=30

    Channel2=153
    Frequency2=5765
    Power2=1000
    Db2=30

    Channel3=157
    Frequency3=5785
    Power3=1000
    Db3=30

    Channel4=161
    Frequency4=5805
    Power4=1000
    Db4=30

    ;******************************************
    ; GROUP3 802.11 A
    ;******************************************
    [GP03A]
    Channel1=36
    Frequency1=5180
    Power1=100
    Db1=20

    Channel2=40
    Frequency2=5200
    Power2=100
    Db2=20

    Channel3=44
    Frequency3=5220
    Power3=100
    Db3=20

    Channel4=48
    Frequency4=5240
    Power4=100
    Db4=20

    Channel5=149
    Frequency5=5745
    Power5=100
    Db5=20

    Channel6=153
    Frequency6=5765
    Power6=100
    Db6=20

    Channel7=157
    Frequency7=5785
    Power7=100
    Db7=20

    Channel8=161
    Frequency8=5805
    Power8=100
    Db8=20

    antoniongXXX@zonnet.nl (AnToNio) wrote in news:1getx5q.1dm6zsc1bh0rauN%
    antoniongXXX@zonnet.nl:

    >> For North America, the 802.11b/g standards state limits of 1 watt,
    >
    > I doubt that very much AFAIK the max in the US is also 100 mw!

    I believe 1W is the maximum output the FCC allows on the 2.4ghz band. You
    can find legal high-power equipment easily online such as
    http://www.netgate.com or http://www.rflinx.com

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    "AnToNio" <antoniongXXX@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    > gary <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >
    > > For North America, the 802.11b/g standards state limits of 1 watt,
    >
    > I doubt that very much AFAIK the max in the US is also 100 mw!

    From IEEE Std 802.11b-1999, clauses 18.4.7.1, 18,4,7,2m and table 115:

    "The maximum allowable output power, as measured in accordance with
    practices specified by the appropriate regulatory bodies, is shown in Table
    115. In the USA, the radiated emissions should also conform with the ANSI
    uncontrolled radiation emission standards (IEEE Std C95.1-1999).

    Table 115-Transmit power levels
    Maximum output power | Geographic location | Compliance document
    1000 mW | USA | FCC 15.247

    100 mW (EIRP) | Europe | ETS 300-328

    10 mW/MHz | Japan | MPT ordinance for Regulating Radio Equip

    18.4.7.2 Transmit power level control

    Power control shall be provided for transmitted power greater than 100 mW. A
    maximum of four power levels

    may be provided. As a minimum, a radio capable of transmission greater than
    100 mW shall be capable

    of switching power back to 100 mW or less."

    Most commodity devices are 100 mW (typically a lot less). For one thing, it
    permits the same hardware to be sold in North America and Europe. For
    another thing, if you put more than 100 mW into a laptop adapter, it gets a
    lot harder to comply with the ANSI radiation requirements, which specify
    maximum human exposure times for various power densities, as a function of
    frequency.

    > --
    > Groeten,
    >
    > Antonio (Voor email, verwijder X)

    According to http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1428941, if
    the antenna is less than 6 dBi (omni) then the EIRP may be 1 watt. If the
    antenna is 6 dBi or greater (directional) then the EIRP may be 4 watts.
    Page 233 of the 802.11 spec confirms the first, and
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080101c27.html
    confirms the latter.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    "AnToNio" <antoniongXXX@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    > gary <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >
    > > For North America, the 802.11b/g standards state limits of 1 watt,
    >
    > I doubt that very much AFAIK the max in the US is also 100 mw!
    >
    > --
    > Groeten,
    >
    > Antonio (Voor email, verwijder X)

Wireless Power Internet Wireless Networking