I built this computer about six months ago and everything worked fine until
yesterday. It froze up and when I rebooted, I got a system root32/hal.dll
error was missing or corupt. I went through the recovery commander and did
chkdsk and bootcfg /rebuild and now it goes to the welcome screen and
freezes, but does not say welcome, just windows xp. It is win xp prof. w/
sp2. I tried f8 and any mode (even last know good config) I get that error
still except if i go with just safe mode it goes to the same welcome screen
and freezes. The keyboard still works and so does the mouse. Could I just
reinstall windows and keep all my data? It is all on one partition. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.
ps I would just wipe the drive and reinstall but I use this particular
computer for my point of sale and quickbooks and dont have a seperate
backup.(i know, im dumb)

fivestarjt wrote:
> I built this computer about six months ago and everything
> worked fine until yesterday. It froze up and when I
> rebooted, I got a system root32/hal.dll error was missing or
> corupt. I went through the recovery commander and did
> chkdsk and bootcfg /rebuild and now it goes to the welcome
> screen and freezes, but does not say welcome, just windows
> xp. It is win xp prof. w/ sp2. I tried f8 and any mode (even
> last know good config) I get that error still except if i go
> with just safe mode it goes to the same welcome screen and
> freezes. The keyboard still works and so does the mouse.
> Could I just reinstall windows and keep all my data? It is
> all on one partition. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> ps I would just wipe the drive and reinstall but I use this
> particular computer for my point of sale and quickbooks and
> dont have a seperate backup.(i know, im dumb)

Take a look at this article:

If you're concerned about your data files, you might want to
consider taking the hard drive out of the problem computer and
installing it as a slave drive in a working computer. You could
then backup QuickBooks and any other important files. If you do
this, you will probably need to refer to these article in order
to access your files:

"Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Thanks for the advice but I did a repair install yesterday and now my
quickbooks point of sale will not load up. It says not installed on a
validated computer. There is only one logon name on the computer but it seems
some info is hidden somewhere else. Also, my computer runs alot slower now. I
look around and try to find a solution.

fivestarjt wrote:
> Thanks for the advice but I did a repair install yesterday
> and now my quickbooks point of sale will not load up. It
> says not installed on a validated computer. There is only
> one logon name on the computer but it seems some info is
> hidden somewhere else. Also, my computer runs alot slower
> now. I look around and try to find a solution.

It sounds as if you may need to reinstall QuickBooks. Make sure
you've backed up your data files first.

Quickbooks Help and Support
http://www.quickbooks.com/support/

As for the speed issue, you might want to defrag the hard drive
to see if that speeds things up. Also, take a look at the
startup tab of msconfig to see what programs are running in the
background. Turn off any that aren't needed.

Nepatsfan