64MB more on Ti200 worth the money and the hassle?

I'm going to build my first computer with the intentions of playing flight sims and ordered all components from newegg.com. Will receive them soon.

AMD Athelon XP 1900+
Soyo K7V Dragon+
Gainward/Cardexpert GForce3 Ti200 64MB vid card
Crucial 512MB PC2100 DDR RAM
etc.

I was looking at neweggs site this morning and they now offer the exact same vid card with 128MB for $40 more. My question is this. Would the hassle of returning the 64MB card for the 128MB card, and paying the $40 (plus 15% restocking fee) make the flight sim perform considerably better? Thank you for all replies.

Jack
9 answers Last reply
More about 64mb ti200 worth money hassle
  1. No, but for $40 more, you can get a Radeon 8500 retail or GeForce3 Ti500, which WILL significantly improve your performance in flight simulators.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
  2. Yes it will help, but since you already bought a 64MB version you should just overclock it for better performance(overclock to at least Geforce 3 speeds and at most Geforce3 TI500 speeds)

<A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2491699" target="_new"> 3DMark 2001 Score </A>
  3. An extra 64MB of RAM will make almost no difference to the cards performance.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."
  4. I have been told that this card will use its additional memory similar to the way the alleged 64mb voodoo 5 used half of its memory. Comments?
  5. Thanks all. From the info I gathered, I believe I'll just
    keep the card when it arrives, oc it, and call er good.

Jack
  6. I personally would get the 128 meg version and overclock THAT ONE!

Then you would have a 128meg gf3 ti 500 W00T!

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
    No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
  7. Matisaro, 128MB makes no difference in today's games as textures are rarely (if ever) over 64MB in the average game with Texture Compression enabled.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
  8. A: it is still cheaper than both the radeon and the gf3ti500
    B: it cant hurt
    C: there will be some performance gain I assure you.
    D: it will be much more future proof

4 good reasons to get the extra ram.

Any reasons against?

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
    No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
  9. Quote:

A: it is still cheaper than both the radeon and the gf3ti500

No, you can probably find the retail Radeon 8500 for the same price if you look hard enough.

Quote:

B: it cant hurt

True

Quote:

C: there will be some performance gain I assure you.

Sure, you're looking at a 1-2% gain.

Quote:

D: it will be much more future proof

By the time games need all the 128MB, the GF3Ti200 won't be able ot handle them even at Ti500 speeds. I doubt games will use 128MB textures in at least 2 or 3 years.

Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics