When trying to open Automatic Updates "Run a DLL as an App..

Karen

I did a search of this thread and found two similar problems but neither
fixed my problem.
When I go to System Properties and click on the Automatic Updates tab I
get the following error msg "Run a DLL as an App has encountered a
problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
I ran SFC /SCANNOW and it did no good. I also deleted my system restore
and turned it back on, that also did no good.
Can anyone help?
Thanks

Hello Karen,

Turning off System Restore removed the restore points, and removed your ability to go back to a known-good-working restore point.
Learn from this and do not do that in the future. (trying not to preach, but hoping I'm straightforward).

Now then, do you have a backup of this system?
If you do, use the backup to restore just the Windows folders.

Does this error message only appear when looking at Automatic Updates (only)?

By any chance, have you or anyone else dis-abled any Windows services? or made any significant changes lately?

Let's see about turning off (for the time being) the Automatic Updates service. From start menu, select RUN, type in
MSCONFIG <Enter-key>

Select the Services Tab. Look for Automatic Updates. Click the box to un-check it.
Apply changes, & OK.

Doing this means you will have to run manually the menu option for Windows Updates, which you need to do to keep up with security & critical updates.

Post back.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Karen wrote:
> I did a search of this thread and found two similar problems but
> neither fixed my problem.
> When I go to System Properties and click on the Automatic Updates tab
> I get the following error msg "Run a DLL as an App has encountered a
> problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
> I ran SFC /SCANNOW and it did no good. I also deleted my system
> restore and turned it back on, that also did no good.
> Can anyone help?
> Thanks

Karen

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:48:27 -0500, "Maurice N ~ MVP"
<maurice@mvps.org> wrote:

>Hello Karen,
>
>Turning off System Restore removed the restore points, and removed your ability to go back to a known-good-working restore point.
>Learn from this and do not do that in the future. (trying not to preach, but hoping I'm straightforward).
>
>Now then, do you have a backup of this system?
>If you do, use the backup to restore just the Windows folders.
>
>Does this error message only appear when looking at Automatic Updates (only)?
>
>By any chance, have you or anyone else dis-abled any Windows services? or made any significant changes lately?
>
>Let's see about turning off (for the time being) the Automatic Updates service. From start menu, select RUN, type in
>MSCONFIG <Enter-key>
>
>Select the Services Tab. Look for Automatic Updates. Click the box to un-check it.
>Apply changes, & OK.
>
>Doing this means you will have to run manually the menu option for Windows Updates, which you need to do to keep up with security & critical updates.
>
>Post back.

I do have a image of my drive but not just of my Windows folder.
Yes the error occurs only when opening Automatic Updates.
Automatic Updates has always been turned off. I do that myself and am up
to date except SP2.
There have been significant changes lately
I did a system restore to the earliest date I had, it stated no changes
Thanks

Karen

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:42:50 -0400, Karen <karen402@nomail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:48:27 -0500, "Maurice N ~ MVP"
><maurice@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Hello Karen,
>>
>>Turning off System Restore removed the restore points, and removed your ability to go back to a known-good-working restore point.
>>Learn from this and do not do that in the future. (trying not to preach, but hoping I'm straightforward).
>>
>>Now then, do you have a backup of this system?
>>If you do, use the backup to restore just the Windows folders.
>>
>>Does this error message only appear when looking at Automatic Updates (only)?
>>
>>By any chance, have you or anyone else dis-abled any Windows services? or made any significant changes lately?
>>
>>Let's see about turning off (for the time being) the Automatic Updates service. From start menu, select RUN, type in
>>MSCONFIG <Enter-key>
>>
>>Select the Services Tab. Look for Automatic Updates. Click the box to un-check it.
>>Apply changes, & OK.
>>
>>Doing this means you will have to run manually the menu option for Windows Updates, which you need to do to keep up with security & critical updates.
>>
>>Post back.
>
>I do have a image of my drive but not just of my Windows folder.
>Yes the error occurs only when opening Automatic Updates.
>Automatic Updates has always been turned off. I do that myself and am up
>to date except SP2.
>There have been significant changes lately
>I did a system restore to the earliest date I had, it stated no changes
>Thanks
Problem taken care of. I just restored my image

TRENDING THREADS