Orinoco pcmcia card and adapter question

I have an Orinoco gold card and want to get a pcmcia to pci adapter. I see
there are some generic ones as well as ones sold by proxm / lucent. Do I
have to get the later for it to work? Has anyone used the such with linux?

TIA

All the adapter does is to connect to pci bus, should make no difference who
made it.
But you may not get a good reception as the computer case shields the PCMCIA
cards antenna.
You could be better off with a USB adapter on a length of cable which is
much easier to position
for best signal, often the higher up the better. Sometimes half an inch
makes all the difference.
Regards,
Martin