Sign in with
Your question

How do I format my Hard Drive

Last response: in Windows XP
December 5, 2003 1:26:22 PM

I’m currently running windows XP professional and my system is not as fast as it once was i.e. before I installed every game and app I have in my collection onto my hard drive.
Now I want to format it and start again.

How do I format a hard drive with windows XP already installed on it?

I’ve done a search and all I could find was a post that was to do with reformatting a hard drive with win98 by going into dos and typing FDISK. However XP doesn’t have a DOS mode. So what do I need to do?

More about : format hard drive

December 5, 2003 3:28:50 PM

Do you know how to access and make changes to your BIOS at bootup? You can set your BIOS to boot from CD first, then, with your WinXP disc inserted into the CDROM, reboot your computer, and let setup run. It'll ask if you want to do a repair install (no), or if you want to format and do a fresh install (yes!).
December 5, 2003 8:40:38 PM

You can't format it with windows XP already installed. Formatting basically means erasing the entire drive. You can use a win 98/ME boot disk to boot, then type fdisk and then format c: and that will do it for you, but windows won't be installed. After you have the disk formatted, you'll have to boot from your XP cd, and follow the easy instructions to get it re-installed.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.
Related resources
December 6, 2003 2:55:04 AM

Quote:

You can't format it with windows XP already installed.

Um, no?

Boot from XP CD, choose to do a clean install, delete old partition, select to install WinXP in empty space - new partition = clean format. Skip all that Win 98 nonsense.

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>
December 6, 2003 5:55:34 AM

I think there's confusion as to what the original poster wants to accomplish. I read the post as him wanting to erase everything and start anew with WinXP...
December 6, 2003 3:43:39 PM

Quote:
I think there's confusion as to what the original poster wants to accomplish. I read the post as him wanting to erase everything and start anew with WinXP...

Here's what to do, step by step:

1. Put WinXP CD in drive
2. Reboot. While it boots you should see something like "press a key to boot from CD". Do so. If you can't boot from the CD, you need to change the settings in the bios to put the CD-ROM before the HD in the boot order.
3. Choose to do a new install of windows (versus repairing an old one)
4. When it asks where to install Windows, highlight the drive you want to format and delete the partition. Create a new partition formatted with NTFS.
5. Install Win XP
6. Profit

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>
December 6, 2003 5:39:25 PM

I read his post to mean he wants to format his drive and have XP on there after the format, not that he wants to take a disk with XP and format it.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.
!