Multiple Monitor Problem

Hi,

Have experienced this issue enough times now to warrant seeking a solution.
I frequently have my laptop hooked up to an additional monitor. I will use
various programs and have certain ones on the left screen and others on the
right screen. Then, when I unhook the extra monitor, and go to use certain
programs that were originally being used on the external monitor, they boot
up as if they are trying to go to that monitor, and I cant maximize them on
my laptop screen. It's as if the program is actually trapped in space, lol!!
THe only way I am able to use the program is to hook the external monitor
back up and open the program and then maximize it on the laptop screen. What
can be done about this? It is very annoying.

Thanks!!!
7 answers Last reply
More about multiple monitor problem

    Check this article out. Seems like it is right up your alley. Consider
    paying close attention to the section on Ultramon
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/northrup_multimon.mspx

    -Jeff

    "Ralph" <Ralph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Have experienced this issue enough times now to warrant seeking a
    > solution.
    > I frequently have my laptop hooked up to an additional monitor. I will
    > use
    > various programs and have certain ones on the left screen and others on
    > the
    > right screen. Then, when I unhook the extra monitor, and go to use
    > certain
    > programs that were originally being used on the external monitor, they
    > boot
    > up as if they are trying to go to that monitor, and I cant maximize them
    > on
    > my laptop screen. It's as if the program is actually trapped in space,
    > lol!!
    > THe only way I am able to use the program is to hook the external monitor
    > back up and open the program and then maximize it on the laptop screen.
    > What
    > can be done about this? It is very annoying.
    >
    > Thanks!!!

    Thanks for the article, so, basically we need to pay for extra software
    because the Windows XP software essentially offers a feature that doesnt
    work...that is rich

    "Jeff Cole" wrote:

    > Check this article out. Seems like it is right up your alley. Consider
    > paying close attention to the section on Ultramon
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/northrup_multimon.mspx
    >
    > -Jeff
    >
    > "Ralph" <Ralph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Have experienced this issue enough times now to warrant seeking a
    > > solution.
    > > I frequently have my laptop hooked up to an additional monitor. I will
    > > use
    > > various programs and have certain ones on the left screen and others on
    > > the
    > > right screen. Then, when I unhook the extra monitor, and go to use
    > > certain
    > > programs that were originally being used on the external monitor, they
    > > boot
    > > up as if they are trying to go to that monitor, and I cant maximize them
    > > on
    > > my laptop screen. It's as if the program is actually trapped in space,
    > > lol!!
    > > THe only way I am able to use the program is to hook the external monitor
    > > back up and open the program and then maximize it on the laptop screen.
    > > What
    > > can be done about this? It is very annoying.
    > >
    > > Thanks!!!

    ....so, if I don't want to pay for extra software, but need to get those
    programs to boot up onto my laptop screen and do NOT have the option of
    hooking up an external monitor to attempt to fix the problem = the situation
    I am in right now, then what do I do?? seems there must be a way to get the
    programs back onto the laptop screen...

    "Jeff Cole" wrote:

    > Check this article out. Seems like it is right up your alley. Consider
    > paying close attention to the section on Ultramon
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/northrup_multimon.mspx
    >
    > -Jeff
    >
    > "Ralph" <Ralph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Have experienced this issue enough times now to warrant seeking a
    > > solution.
    > > I frequently have my laptop hooked up to an additional monitor. I will
    > > use
    > > various programs and have certain ones on the left screen and others on
    > > the
    > > right screen. Then, when I unhook the extra monitor, and go to use
    > > certain
    > > programs that were originally being used on the external monitor, they
    > > boot
    > > up as if they are trying to go to that monitor, and I cant maximize them
    > > on
    > > my laptop screen. It's as if the program is actually trapped in space,
    > > lol!!
    > > THe only way I am able to use the program is to hook the external monitor
    > > back up and open the program and then maximize it on the laptop screen.
    > > What
    > > can be done about this? It is very annoying.
    > >
    > > Thanks!!!

    Try right clicking the software in the taskbar and then selecting move.
    then just use the arrow keys to move the app around into your viewable

    > ...so, if I don't want to pay for extra software, but need to get those
    > programs to boot up onto my laptop screen and do NOT have the option of
    > hooking up an external monitor to attempt to fix the problem = the
    > situation
    > I am in right now, then what do I do?? seems there must be a way to get
    > the
    > programs back onto the laptop screen...
    >
    > "Jeff Cole" wrote:
    >
    >> Check this article out. Seems like it is right up your alley. Consider
    >> paying close attention to the section on Ultramon
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/northrup_multimon.mspx
    >>
    >> -Jeff
    >>
    >> "Ralph" <Ralph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > Have experienced this issue enough times now to warrant seeking a
    >> > solution.
    >> > I frequently have my laptop hooked up to an additional monitor. I will
    >> > use
    >> > various programs and have certain ones on the left screen and others on
    >> > the
    >> > right screen. Then, when I unhook the extra monitor, and go to use
    >> > certain
    >> > programs that were originally being used on the external monitor, they
    >> > boot
    >> > up as if they are trying to go to that monitor, and I cant maximize
    >> > them
    >> > on
    >> > my laptop screen. It's as if the program is actually trapped in space,
    >> > lol!!
    >> > THe only way I am able to use the program is to hook the external
    >> > monitor
    >> > back up and open the program and then maximize it on the laptop screen.
    >> > What
    >> > can be done about this? It is very annoying.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!!!

    Thanks Jeff, I see what you're saying but the "move" selection is grayed out,
    implying that it is not selectable, why is that? I feel we are close to a
    solution, please dont give up on me now, LOL....Thanks!

    "Jeff Cole" wrote:

    > Try right clicking the software in the taskbar and then selecting move.
    > then just use the arrow keys to move the app around into your viewable
    > screen.
    >
    > -Jeff
    >
    > "Ralph" <Ralph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > ...so, if I don't want to pay for extra software, but need to get those
    > > programs to boot up onto my laptop screen and do NOT have the option of
    > > hooking up an external monitor to attempt to fix the problem = the
    > > situation
    > > I am in right now, then what do I do?? seems there must be a way to get
    > > the
    > > programs back onto the laptop screen...
    > >
    > > "Jeff Cole" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Check this article out. Seems like it is right up your alley. Consider
    > >> paying close attention to the section on Ultramon
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/northrup_multimon.mspx
    > >>
    > >> -Jeff
    > >>
    > >> "Ralph" <Ralph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Well I talked to a few other instructors around here and none of us could
    think of a way to get around this little issue other than third party
    software. See the glitch is that some applications support the move
    function and some don't. It all depends on if the developer included it so
    there isn't any default strait up windows way of grabbing it and moving it
    without application support as far as I know.

    As far as a free downloadable tool.......
    http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm

    "" wrote:
    > Thanks Jeff, I see what you're saying but the "move" selection
    > is grayed out,
    > implying that it is not selectable, why is that? I feel we
    > are close to a
    > solution, please dont give up on me now, LOL....Thanks!
    >
    > "Jeff Cole" wrote:
    >
    > > Try right clicking the software in the taskbar and then
    > selecting move.
    > > then just use the arrow keys to move the app around into
    > your viewable
    > > screen.
    > >
    > > -Jeff
    > >
    > > "Ralph" <Ralph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > ...so, if I don't want to pay for extra software, but need
    > to get those
    > > > programs to boot up onto my laptop screen and do NOT have
    > the option of
    > > > hooking up an external monitor to attempt to fix the
    > problem = the
    > > > situation
    > > > I am in right now, then what do I do?? seems there must
    > be a way to get
    > > > the
    > > > programs back onto the laptop screen...

    > alley. Consider

    > seeking a
    > monitor. I will
    > screen and others on
    > and go to use
    > external monitor, they
    > cant maximize
    > trapped in space,
    > the external
    > the laptop screen.

    Was the program minimized when you tried to move it?

    Also, when you look in Display Properties > Settings, is the second
    monitor enabled? If so, disable it.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Multiple-Monitor-Problem-ftopict415410.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1384739

External Monitor Monitors Windows XP