unacesable user profile

August 30, 2005 5:17:03 PM

hi there ive got a problem in that i had a single profile set up on windows
xp home. and then my hard drive decided to play up and i couldnt get back in
to windows. so i had to do a reinstall of windows. the pc is now working fine
however i can not acces the contents of my old user profile. i can see the
folder all my files are in, but every time i try to access it. it comes up as
not being accesable acess denied. when i was running the origional install i
had the profile set up with a password. is there anyway i can reset this now
or get round it to access my data as i am stuck on what to do now. ive tried
creating a new profile and moving the file over but it wont let me access it
to do so. ive also tried loading in through safe mode to be able to acess the
security tab to try and take ownership of the folder but it wont let me do
so. any ideas???
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 5:48:15 PM

Its odd that you can't take ownership of the file but it might be because
you aren't logged in as the local administrator. Only users in the
administrators group can take ownership. That aside, when you try and take
that profile and overwrite a profile manually so you can get at the data, be
sure you aren't logged on as the user you are trying to put the profile
onto. It won't give you access because it is already in use.

-jeff

"tonyl" <tonyl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 02D9A0D-9E68-450B-8807-6E46A2F561EE@microsoft.com...
> hi there ive got a problem in that i had a single profile set up on
> windows
> xp home. and then my hard drive decided to play up and i couldnt get back
> in
> to windows. so i had to do a reinstall of windows. the pc is now working
> fine
> however i can not acces the contents of my old user profile. i can see the
> folder all my files are in, but every time i try to access it. it comes up
> as
> not being accesable acess denied. when i was running the origional install
> had the profile set up with a password. is there anyway i can reset this
> now
> or get round it to access my data as i am stuck on what to do now. ive
> tried
> creating a new profile and moving the file over but it wont let me access
> it
> to do so. ive also tried loading in through safe mode to be able to acess
> the
> security tab to try and take ownership of the folder but it wont let me do
> so. any ideas???
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 8:28:31 PM

tonyl wrote:
> hi there ive got a problem in that i had a single profile
> set up on windows xp home. and then my hard drive decided to
> play up and i couldnt get back in to windows. so i had to do
> a reinstall of windows. the pc is now working fine however i
> can not acces the contents of my old user profile. i can see
> the folder all my files are in, but every time i try to
> access it. it comes up as not being accesable acess denied.
> when i was running the origional install i had the profile
> set up with a password. is there anyway i can reset this now
> or get round it to access my data as i am stuck on what to
> do now. ive tried creating a new profile and moving the file
> over but it wont let me access it to do so. ive also tried
> security tab to try and take ownership of the folder but it
> wont let me do so. any ideas???

You need to take ownership of the files. Take a look here for
the procedure:

"Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

Good luck

Nepatsfan