zack

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2001
I currently have a Geforce2 MX based card (Creative Annihilator 2 MX PCI). So far this thing is excellent, better than anything I had before. Now everyone has GF3's. I am just wondering, should I upgrade? What are the advantages that a GF3 has over a GF2, other than more rendering features??

Only reason I got a PCI card was because I don't have an AGP slot in my current PC. I am building a new PC soon and trying to decide if I want to keep this card, or get a new card. It's either I get a new vid card, or get that new klipsch 5.1 speaker system. A hard decision indeed.. If i do get a GF3, it will probably be that Abit siluro one w/ the video in/out. This a good one??

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Might as well get a new card when you get the new pc, the gf3 ti 200 is about 150 and it is a great performer. Trust me you WILL see a difference between the two.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
I went from a gf2 PCI in my old system to a gf3 ti200 which i have in my current system.

I would NEVER go back. Choose the video card. Then save up and get the speakers at a later date.

The PCI versions are never as quick as the AGP because you cant get the bandwidth from a pci card. and the difference between a gf2 with sdram to a gf3 with ddr memory is astonishing.

-- There are no answers to find in the bottom of a glass. But you can have fun looking for them.

zack

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2001
My GF2 has 32mb DDR. I think I might get a gf3 though and get the speakers later.. But on the other hand, since the GF4 is supposedly coming soon, think I should get the speakers now and wait for that ???

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Your not just going from a GF2, you are going from a GF2 MX.

You'll be able to actually use 32bit color at good resolutions (like 1280x1024). You'll be able to actually see textures at the intended detail. Even if there weren't any new features involved the massive change in rendering horsepower will be very noticable.

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Wait until the GF4 comes out. GF3's will drop in price then.

Plus your speakers you will use for years and years. Your vid card will be replaced in a year or two. The speakers are a better investment, especially when you consider that unlike the vid card, the speakers won't be dropping in price anytime soon.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.