Configuring D-link DI-624 Wireless Router

Hi!

I have the above-mentioned wireless router that I purchased recently. The
problem is, no attempt at trying to access the set-up through the Web
browser using the stipulated 192.168.0.1 IP address and the user name of
default with no password works. It just will not let me in. Can anyone
here offer a suggestion?

Cheers

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

"Cyber Trekker" <cybertrekker@cyberia.net> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I have the above-mentioned wireless router that I purchased recently. The
> problem is, no attempt at trying to access the set-up through the Web
> browser using the stipulated 192.168.0.1 IP address and the user name of
> default with no password works. It just will not let me in. Can anyone
> here offer a suggestion?
>
> Cheers
Are you getting to the password and username box.

fearless

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004

Initial configuration.

IP: 192.168.0.1
User name: admin
Password: <LEAVE BLANK>

"John" <jrl @ bushinternet dot com> wrote in message

> "Cyber Trekker" <cybertrekker@cyberia.net> wrote in message
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have the above-mentioned wireless router that I purchased
recently. The
> > problem is, no attempt at trying to access the set-up through
the Web
> > browser using the stipulated 192.168.0.1 IP address and the
user name of
> > default with no password works. It just will not let me in.
Can anyone
> > here offer a suggestion?
> >
> > Cheers
> Are you getting to the password and username box.

Have you tried "admin" instead of "default"?
BoB De

Fearless wrote:

> Initial configuration.
>
> IP: 192.168.0.1
> User name: admin
> Password: <LEAVE BLANK>

Thank you all for your responses.

I get to the log-in box by using the IP 192.168.0.1, from there I use admin
as the user name and leave the password blank but with no success.

Hook yourself with a wired connection to your router and use a paperclip or
something to restore your routers factory settings. Then do the 192.168.0.1
and "admin" and password blank.... Isn't it also important to make sure
your subnet mask of your network is 255.255.255.0?? Also from the Run
command in windows type cmd and then in dos ping 192.168.0.1 to make sure
your getting through to your router.

"Cyber Trekker" <cybertrekker@cyberia.net> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I have the above-mentioned wireless router that I purchased recently. The
> problem is, no attempt at trying to access the set-up through the Web
> browser using the stipulated 192.168.0.1 IP address and the user name of
> default with no password works. It just will not let me in. Can anyone
> here offer a suggestion?
>
> Cheers

hairy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002

"ahh" <ahh@ahh.com> wrote in message
> Hook yourself with a wired connection to your router and use a paperclip
or
> something to restore your routers factory settings. Then do the
192.168.0.1
> and "admin" and password blank.... Isn't it also important to make sure
> your subnet mask of your network is 255.255.255.0??

My LAN subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and my WAN subnet mask is 255.255.254.0.
Should they both be the same?

ahh wrote:

> Hook yourself with a wired connection to your router and use a paperclip
> or something to restore your routers factory settings. Then do the
> 192.168.0.1 and "admin" and password blank....

Thanks! I did as instructed in the above and it worked.

I will say, however, that I restored the factory settings previously but
had no success getting into the set-up of the router in question through
Web-configuration using the above IP.

> ...Also from the Run command in windows type cmd and then in dos ping
> 192.168.0.1 to make sure your getting through to your router.

Because I'm using Linux I opened a terminal and typed ping 192.168.0.1.
This resulted in a successful ping session.

Once again, I thank you.

Don't really know. Seems like I heard once that they should. Thats why I
put a question mark in my previous response. I don't even know the purpose
of a subnet mask. Think I'll go read up on it.

"Hairy" <hairy411@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "ahh" <ahh@ahh.com> wrote in message
> > Hook yourself with a wired connection to your router and use a paperclip
> or
> > something to restore your routers factory settings. Then do the
> 192.168.0.1
> > and "admin" and password blank.... Isn't it also important to make
sure
> > your subnet mask of your network is 255.255.255.0??
>
> My LAN subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and my WAN subnet mask is
255.255.254.0.
> Should they both be the same?
>
> Also from the Run
> > command in windows type cmd and then in dos ping 192.168.0.1 to make
sure
> > your getting through to your router.
> >

> > "Cyber Trekker" <cybertrekker@cyberia.net> wrote in message
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I have the above-mentioned wireless router that I purchased recently.
> The
> > > problem is, no attempt at trying to access the set-up through the Web
> > > browser using the stipulated 192.168.0.1 IP address and the user name
of
> > > default with no password works. It just will not let me in. Can anyone
> > > here offer a suggestion?
> > >
> > > Cheers

The subnet masks of two separate networks do NOT need to match. Each
network has its own subnet mask. You know that these are two networks,
because there is a router in between them.

All IP addresses are 32 bits (4 octets [bytes]). The subnet mask indicates
how many of those bits are for the network part of an address, and how many
bits are for the host part of that address. All hosts (including the
router's interface) on a network must have the same number of network bits,
and so they must have the same subnet mask. Furthermore, all hosts on a
network must have the same value in the network part of their addresses.
They must all have different values in the host part of their addresses. So
the network part identifies the network. Different networks must have
different values in the network part of their addresses.

Since the subnet mask also indicates how many host bits are in an address,
it determines how many hosts there can be in a particular network. In every
network there are two reserved addresses: the subnet address (which as
zeroes in all the host bits) and the subnet broadcast address (which has
binary ones in all the host bits). If there are only 2 hosts bits in an
address, then you can make 4 different numbers with those 2 bits: 00 01 10
11. Since two of those numbers are reserved (00 and 11), that leaves two
values (01 and 10) that can be assigned to hosts in this network. With 3
host bits we can make 8 (2 to the 3rd power) numbers; with 2 of those
numbers reserved (000 and 111), that leaves 6 numbers (001 010 011 100 101
110) that can be assigned to host interfaces. Usually we see a mask of
255.255.255.0, which has 8 host bits. So these networks can have 256
numbers (2 to the 8th power), of which 2 numbers (00000000 and 11111111) are
reserved, leaving 254 host addresses. Since the router interface is one of
those addresses, that leaves 253 client addresses.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.