Hi everyone,
My computer has 1meg memory (2 x 510mg ) with two extra slots
for expansion , I have been trying to add another 510mg memory but when I
boot up the computer It shows system at 510mg total memory, does this mean my
computer cannot be upgraded to 1.5mg ?? and if so why is there extra
expansion slots ? .
--
confused

Sheradon

Go to http://www.crucial.com or http://www.kingston.com to determine the
correct memory for your motherboard.. you should also consult the
motherboard manual or an online manual to determine how the memory should be
fitted..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

sheradon wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> My computer has 1meg memory (2 x 510mg ) with two extra slots
> for expansion , I have been trying to add another 510mg memory but when I
> boot up the computer It shows system at 510mg total memory, does this mean my
> computer cannot be upgraded to 1.5mg ?? and if so why is there extra
> expansion slots ? .
It is absolutely essential that any new RAM module(s) be fully
compatible with both the motherboard and/or any other RAM module(s)
already in the system. Additionally, there are sometimes jumper
switches on older motherboards that need to be reset for new RAM
configurations. Consult your motherboard's manual or the
manufacturer's web site for specific instructions and compatibility
requirements.

If you cannot lay your hands upon the computer's manual and the
manufacturer doesn't provide a support web site, you can use these
utilities to help determine the correct type of RAM needed:

SiSoft's Sandra
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.php?dir=&location=sware_dl&lang=en

Belarc Advisor

Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
http://forum.aumha.org/overflow/aida32.zip

Lavalys' Everest Home
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

Also, Crucial Memory's web site (www.crucial.com) has a database
to help to find the right RAM for your specific make and model
computer and/or motherboard.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I think you mean 1GB or 1.5GB. You need to give the make & model of your
motherboard to get a proper answer. Although I don't think you will gain
anything from adding and extra 512MB.

Neil
"sheradon" <sheradon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
> My computer has 1meg memory (2 x 510mg ) with two extra slots
> for expansion , I have been trying to add another 510mg memory but when I
> boot up the computer It shows system at 510mg total memory, does this mean
> my
> computer cannot be upgraded to 1.5mg ?? and if so why is there extra
> expansion slots ? .
> --
> confused

Depending on the motherboard, you may have to pair the type of RAM memory
used. Also, the memory modules can be single or double-bank styles. You
need to check with the motherboard documentation, web or manual, so as to
see how to set up the memory correctly and what type is needed.