Restarts at startup - requests programs that are no longer..

Well, I woke up this morning to a lovely situation. Upon starting my
computer, it takes me to the startup option (the flavors of safe mode). No
other options other than safe mode allow me to get into the computer without
a a fatal error causing a restart. Turning off the automatic restart on
error greets me with a blue screen, along with an error message that doesn't
really make sence. I can copy it all down if necessary, but it's a bit long.

Going into safe mode causes me no problems, and I am able to go into the
even viewer, which only shows 3 errors around the time when the error is
happening, and they are all related to programs that have been off my
computer for about a week now. The event viewer shows this for each of them -

1.
The STOPzilla Local Service service failed to start due to the following
error:

Stopzilla being a shitty pop-up stopper.

2.
The FAH@C:+Documents and Settings+Owner+Desktop+Folding+FAH502-Console.exe
service failed to start due to the following error:

3.
The FAH@C:+Documents and Settings+Owner+My
Documents+Stuff+FAH502-Console.exe service failed to start due to the
following error:

The last two being connected to the program folding at home, a program that
uses the computer to use unused cycles to fold molecules and such to help
cancer research. The program ended up taking too much speed from the
computer, and had to be eliminated.

And that's all I've gathered from it so far. Can anyone help me with this?

While in Safe Mode, select the RUN option, and run MSCONFIG.
Select the Startup Tab. Look for entries that are related to the 3 programs you show below. If found, un-tick the line(s).
Then look at the Services Tab. select (check) the Hide all Microsoft services. Then carefully review the remainder.
Are any of those related to the programs?

Next, check these folders , and their contents :
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Then the only references left would possibly be in the system registry.

If you're a complete novice, please take extreme care. You should probably
defer this next section; but rather logoff / reboot pc/ and see if problem
re-occurs.

Registry lookup:
Go to Sart | Run | Regedit <enter>
In Registry Editor, select My Computer (on left tree view) by clicking once,
then choose File , Export. This will begin a dialog to save a copy of the
whole registry.
Give it a name. It has a .reg extension.

Then do a search for the Keys noted below and review carefully .

Programs may "autorun" due to entries in the system registry. "Run" keys cause
programs to automatically run each time that a user logs on.
The Windows XP registry includes the following Run keys:

and ...ditto ....\RunServices

You want to carefully look under those keys, on the right-hand expanded view, for entries under there.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

SuicidePacmen wrote:
> Well, I woke up this morning to a lovely situation. Upon starting my
> computer, it takes me to the startup option (the flavors of safe
> mode). No other options other than safe mode allow me to get into
> the computer without a a fatal error causing a restart. Turning off
> the automatic restart on error greets me with a blue screen, along
> with an error message that doesn't really make sence. I can copy it
> all down if necessary, but it's a bit long.
>
> Going into safe mode causes me no problems, and I am able to go into
> the even viewer, which only shows 3 errors around the time when the
> error is happening, and they are all related to programs that have
> been off my computer for about a week now. The event viewer shows
> this for each of them -
>
> 1.
> The STOPzilla Local Service service failed to start due to the
> following error:

> Stopzilla being a shitty pop-up stopper.
>
> 2.
> The FAH@C:+Documents and
> Settings+Owner+Desktop+Folding+FAH502-Console.exe service failed to
> start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file
> specified.

> 3.
> The FAH@C:+Documents and Settings+Owner+My
> Documents+Stuff+FAH502-Console.exe service failed to start due to the
> following error:

> The last two being connected to the program folding at home, a
> program that uses the computer to use unused cycles to fold molecules
> and such to help cancer research. The program ended up taking too
> much speed from the computer, and had to be eliminated.
>
> And that's all I've gathered from it so far. Can anyone help me with
> this?

I was able to take care of the three programs showing up in event viewer with
what you suggested, and now a new one has popped up.

Error code 1000007f, parameter1 0000000d, parameter2 00000000, parameter3
00000000, parameter4 00000000.

Searching around brought this up. and matches a majority of my symptoms, so
I'm hoping it will work.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;894278&sd=ee