MS Photo Editor Hangs on start up

I have a very weird problem with MS Photo Editor. It hangs on start up.
After a minute or so a picture will come up, but it still is not usable.
When this happened, Adobe PhotoDeluxe home edition started to act up
too, it hangs for about a minute, seems to time out, and then comes up
and works fine. I removed PD, and replaced it with Photoshop Elements,
but it does the same thing.

I upgraded Photo Editor from 3.0 to a later addition, still the same.
This happened once before, and getting rid of temp files and some
network places entires helped, but this time none of that works. Has
anyone got some thoughts?

(My machine is running XP fully patched, and updated. I'm not sure what
happened around the time Photo Edito and Adobe stopped working)

Thanks,

peter

--

Peter Cheimets
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory ,__o-

pcheimets@cfa.harvard.edu
(617)495-7350 (voice)
(617)495-7098 (FAX)
3 answers Last reply
More about photo editor hangs start

    Open a command prompt, and try CHKDSK /R

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson

    Mark L. Ferguson wrote:

    >Open a command prompt, and try CHKDSK /R

    Okay I tried that and it didn't change anything.

    A couple of things I was thinking but I'm not sure that they mean anything:

    o I got rid of all the temp files, including the internet files. Photo
    Editor seemed to work for one picture, once. Then it was back to not
    working.

    o I have a couple of directorys with many .jpgs in them (~66000 files
    at least). I was wondering if there is some file indexing going on that
    essentially ties the program up forever.

    Another thought, is it possible that there is some lost file search
    path. I ask this because this happened once before, and getting rid of
    "My Network" entries helped. On this computer I once logged in over the
    network to a work NT network, and I'm wondering if there is a lost
    search stub in some file indexing thingy (sorry for the technical term)

    Thanks for any help

    Peter

    --

    Peter Cheimets
    Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory ,__o-
    Smithsonian Institution _-\_<,
    60 Garden St. (*)/'(*)-
    Cambridge, MA 02138

    pcheimets@cfa.harvard.edu
    (617)495-7350 (voice)
    (617)495-7098 (FAX)
  3. I have the same problem, and I found the source of the problem, Basically I noticed that after I print the photo editor works fine, however after some time it behave in the same way as described !
    It load, hang for a while and then load the image !
    When I checked my printer folder I found that one printer was in the status of opening !!!
    So I assumed that the photo editor is trying to check the printer before it loads !
    So I deleted the printer " it was a network printer" and I installed the Universal PCL printing !
    This solved my problem as I no longer get the message " opening" in the printer folder !
    If you have similar problem try to delete the printers in that folder and check !
    If the problem is solved then you will know that your printer is at fault and you should do something about it :)

    I hope this helps

    Regards
    Humaid

Photo Microsoft Windows XP