Setting Asset Tag on Laptop

peter

How can I set the Asset Tag (and Owner Tag) on my new D610 laptop?

I found a utility called ASSETA00.exe. It self-extracts its files to a
floppy. You must then boot the D610 from the floppy since the utility
will only run under DOS.

But my D610 does not have a floppy drive. I can create the floppy on my
desktop PC which does have a floppy but I have no way of booting the D610
from a floppy.

Are there any other ways to set the Asset Tag?

Peter

--
**Remove Xs to reply by e-mail**

"Peter" <XXpmpmpmXX@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> How can I set the Asset Tag (and Owner Tag) on my new D610 laptop?
>
> I found a utility called ASSETA00.exe. It self-extracts its files to a
> floppy. You must then boot the D610 from the floppy since the utility
> will only run under DOS.
>
> But my D610 does not have a floppy drive. I can create the floppy on my
> desktop PC which does have a floppy but I have no way of booting the D610
> from a floppy.
>
> Are there any other ways to set the Asset Tag?
>
> Peter
>
> --
> **Remove Xs to reply by e-mail**

It can be done by USB key, or even a bootable CD.

Or, why not just pick up an inexpensive USB floppy drive locally. ?

Stew

peter

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:58:50 -0500, "S.Lewis"
<stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

>"Peter" <XXpmpmpmXX@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> How can I set the Asset Tag (and Owner Tag) on my new D610 laptop?
>>
>> I found a utility called ASSETA00.exe. It self-extracts its files to a
>> floppy. You must then boot the D610 from the floppy since the utility
>> will only run under DOS.
>>
>> But my D610 does not have a floppy drive. I can create the floppy on my
>> desktop PC which does have a floppy but I have no way of booting the D610
>> from a floppy.
>>
>> Are there any other ways to set the Asset Tag?
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> --
>> **Remove Xs to reply by e-mail**
>

>It can be done by USB key, or even a bootable CD.
>
>Or, why not just pick up an inexpensive USB floppy drive locally. ?
>

>Stew

By "USB key" do you mean a USB flash memory drive??? If so, won't I have
to format it with an operating system so the PC can boot from it?

Peter

--

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:58:50 -0500, "S.Lewis"
> <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

>>"Peter" <XXpmpmpmXX@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>> How can I set the Asset Tag (and Owner Tag) on my new D610 laptop?
>>>
>>> I found a utility called ASSETA00.exe. It self-extracts its files to a
>>> floppy. You must then boot the D610 from the floppy since the utility
>>> will only run under DOS.
>>>
>>> But my D610 does not have a floppy drive. I can create the floppy on my
>>> desktop PC which does have a floppy but I have no way of booting the
>>> D610
>>> from a floppy.
>>>
>>> Are there any other ways to set the Asset Tag?
>>>
>>> Peter

A google search very quickly turned up these sites among others:

http://www.marlow.dk/site.php/tech/usbkeys

http://www.pcanswers.co.uk/tutorials/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=34587&subsectionid=606

Stew

peter

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:53:11 -0500, "S.Lewis"
<stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

>"Peter" <XXpmpmpmXX@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:58:50 -0500, "S.Lewis"
>> <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>

>>>"Peter" <XXpmpmpmXX@mindspring.com> wrote in message

>A google search very quickly turned up these sites among others:
>
>http://www.marlow.dk/site.php/tech/usbkeys
>
>http://www.pcanswers.co.uk/tutorials/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=34587&subsectionid=606
>

>Stew

I created a bootable CD using Nero. I was able to boot from it then use
it to set the Owner Tag in my D610 but the Asset Tag did not take when I
tried to set it. Owner Tag is good enough for now.

Peter

--

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:53:11 -0500, "S.Lewis"
> <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

>>"Peter" <XXpmpmpmXX@mindspring.com> wrote in message

>>A google search very quickly turned up these sites among others:
>>
>>http://www.marlow.dk/site.php/tech/usbkeys
>>
>>http://www.pcanswers.co.uk/tutorials/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=34587&subsectionid=606
>>

>>Stew
>
> I created a bootable CD using Nero. I was able to boot from it then use
> it to set the Owner Tag in my D610 but the Asset Tag did not take when I
> tried to set it. Owner Tag is good enough for now.
>
> Peter
>
> --
> **Remove Xs to reply by e-mail**\

Pete -

If you've already created a bootable CD and changed the service tag, then
you're already there. I think all you need is asset.com on the disc....

Any chance you just overlooked something in trying to change the asset tag?
(Something I've been known to do with service tags.....)

Stew

peter

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:21:03 -0500, "S.Lewis"
<stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

>"Peter" <XXpmpmpmXX@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:53:11 -0500, "S.Lewis"
>> <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>

>>>"Peter" <XXpmpmpmXX@mindspring.com> wrote in message

>>>A google search very quickly turned up these sites among others:
>>>
>>>http://www.marlow.dk/site.php/tech/usbkeys
>>>
>>>http://www.pcanswers.co.uk/tutorials/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=34587&subsectionid=606
>>>

>>>Stew
>>
>> I created a bootable CD using Nero. I was able to boot from it then use
>> it to set the Owner Tag in my D610 but the Asset Tag did not take when I
>> tried to set it. Owner Tag is good enough for now.
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> --
>> **Remove Xs to reply by e-mail**\
>

>Pete -
>
>If you've already created a bootable CD and changed the service tag, then
>you're already there. I think all you need is asset.com on the disc....
>
>Any chance you just overlooked something in trying to change the asset tag?
>(Something I've been known to do with service tags.....)
>

>Stew

I suppose it's possible that I overlooked something but I don't think so.
There aren't many options. I did it twice. No problem setting the Owner
Tage but the Asset tag did not take either time.

Peter
--
**Remove Xs to reply by e-mail**

Peter wrote:

> <snip>
>
> I suppose it's possible that I overlooked something but I don't think so.
> There aren't many options. I did it twice. No problem setting the Owner
> Tage but the Asset tag did not take either time.

When I used the utility to set the Asset Tag, it was because I didn't
have a Tag. It's possible that the Asset Tag can only be set once.

Anyone?

Notan

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Asset tag number is usually set when the system board has been changed you
use a prog called asset.com to set it which is for engineers only (though
yiou might get one somewhere ebay ???) or a friendly Dell engineer and you
then run it from either a boot floppy or create a boot cd rom and then at
the promt type the command asset / then the tag number and make sure you
include the spaces
> Peter wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> I suppose it's possible that I overlooked something but I don't think so.
>> There aren't many options. I did it twice. No problem setting the Owner
>> Tage but the Asset tag did not take either time.
>
> When I used the utility to set the Asset Tag, it was because I didn't
> have a Tag. It's possible that the Asset Tag can only be set once.
>
> Anyone?
>
> Notan

Marvin2843

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

Dell has two different utilities from their website for writing Asset Tag. On newer models the memory address changed and that's most likely why it isn't taking. Search the dell site to find the util.