I am experiencing display problems on my HP laptop running Windows XP OS.
The most accurate way I can think to describe it is the window image is
greatly reduced and blurred and grainy, at best.

I tried to adjust display settings (i.e., screen resolution, color, monitor
settings, etc.) but my system automatically reboots as soon as I select the
Settings tab under Display Properties.

I've tried to boot in Safe Mode and adjust settings but nothing helps.

Any troubleshooting advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Might try HP for current or updated display & graphic's drivers,