Replacing CMOS/Bios Battery

I'm getting a message on startup that the 'system battery power level is
low. Press F1 to continue. Press F2 to enter setup".

Looks like I'm going to have to replace the 'watch' battery.

How difficult is this to do? Other that taking the old one out and putting
the new one in.

Anything I should do before the change-out, other than powering off and
unpluging from the electrical outlet.

What kind of problems should I be prepared for on restart?

I have had six computers over the last fifteen years and this is the first
time I have ever had to mess with the CMOS battery.

Mudrat
11 answers Last reply
More about replacing cmos bios battery

    "mud rat hotmail.com>" <oldmudrat@<nospamallowed> wrote in message
    > I'm getting a message on startup that the 'system battery power level is
    > low. Press F1 to continue. Press F2 to enter setup".
    >
    > Looks like I'm going to have to replace the 'watch' battery.
    >
    > How difficult is this to do? Other that taking the old one out and
    > putting
    > the new one in.
    >
    > Anything I should do before the change-out, other than powering off and
    > unpluging from the electrical outlet.
    >
    > What kind of problems should I be prepared for on restart?
    >

    > I have had six computers over the last fifteen years and this is the first
    > time I have ever had to mess with the CMOS battery.
    >

    > Mudrat

    It would help to know what system model/number you've got, and also if the
    system is using a UPS/battery backup.....

    Stew

    Sorry about not including necessary information.

    I have a Dell XPS Gen 3, WinXP Service Pack 1, Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz, 2 GB
    RAM, and I am using a UPS Battery Backup. Two Western Digital 250 GB hard
    drives. External USB printer, zip drive, scanner. Dell sound system 5.1.
    Soundblaster sound card. ATi Raedon 9800XT 256 MB Video Card. 17 inch LCD
    monitor. DSL Modem and ethernet hub.

    What else Should I tell you?

    Mud Rat

    > Sorry about not including necessary information.
    >
    > I have a Dell XPS Gen 3, WinXP Service Pack 1, Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz, 2
    > GB
    > RAM, and I am using a UPS Battery Backup. Two Western Digital 250 GB hard
    > drives. External USB printer, zip drive, scanner. Dell sound system 5.1.
    > Soundblaster sound card. ATi Raedon 9800XT 256 MB Video Card. 17 inch
    > LCD
    > monitor. DSL Modem and ethernet hub.
    >
    > What else Should I tell you?

    Try using the computer without the UPS, I have seen UPS's going bad and
    caused the same problem.
    If you plug the computer directly into wall outlet or surge strip without
    using UPS and still have the same problem,
    then it's a safe bet, it's your CMOS battery.

    Craig

    "Craig" <nospam_none@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

    > "mud rat hotmail.com>" <oldmudrat@<nospamallowed> wrote in message
    >> Sorry about not including necessary information.
    >>
    >> I have a Dell XPS Gen 3, WinXP Service Pack 1, Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz, 2
    >> GB
    >> RAM, and I am using a UPS Battery Backup. Two Western Digital 250 GB
    >> hard
    >> drives. External USB printer, zip drive, scanner. Dell sound system
    >> 5.1.
    >> Soundblaster sound card. ATi Raedon 9800XT 256 MB Video Card. 17 inch
    >> LCD
    >> monitor. DSL Modem and ethernet hub.
    >>
    >> What else Should I tell you?
    >>

    > Try using the computer without the UPS, I have seen UPS's going bad and
    > caused the same problem.
    > If you plug the computer directly into wall outlet or surge strip without
    > using UPS and still have the same problem,
    > then it's a safe bet, it's your CMOS battery.
    >
    > Craig

    Good call, Craig.

    That's exactly why I asked about the UPS. Someone had posted a problem like
    this in the last six months and it was battery/backup related.....

    I, too, would be a bit surpised if his CMOS battery were already flaking
    out.

    Stew

    Thanks!

    I'll try booting without the UPS on next re-boot. I'll let you know what
    happens.

    Mud Rat

    > "Craig" <nospam_none@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "mud rat hotmail.com>" <oldmudrat@<nospamallowed> wrote in message
    > >> Sorry about not including necessary information.
    > >>
    > >> I have a Dell XPS Gen 3, WinXP Service Pack 1, Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz,
    2
    > >> GB
    > >> RAM, and I am using a UPS Battery Backup. Two Western Digital 250 GB
    > >> hard
    > >> drives. External USB printer, zip drive, scanner. Dell sound system
    > >> 5.1.
    > >> Soundblaster sound card. ATi Raedon 9800XT 256 MB Video Card. 17 inch
    > >> LCD
    > >> monitor. DSL Modem and ethernet hub.
    > >>
    > >> What else Should I tell you?
    > >>

    > > Try using the computer without the UPS, I have seen UPS's going bad and
    > > caused the same problem.
    > > If you plug the computer directly into wall outlet or surge strip
    without
    > > using UPS and still have the same problem,
    > > then it's a safe bet, it's your CMOS battery.
    > >
    > > Craig
    > >

    > Good call, Craig.
    >
    > That's exactly why I asked about the UPS. Someone had posted a problem
    like
    > this in the last six months and it was battery/backup related.....
    >
    > I, too, would be a bit surpised if his CMOS battery were already flaking
    > out.
    >

    > Stew

    I'm shocked that a machine that new would require a CMOS battery. I have 5
    year old machines running on their original.
    "mud rat hotmail.com>" <oldmudrat@<nospamallowed> wrote in message
    > Sorry about not including necessary information.
    >
    > I have a Dell XPS Gen 3, WinXP Service Pack 1, Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz, 2
    > GB
    > RAM, and I am using a UPS Battery Backup. Two Western Digital 250 GB hard
    > drives. External USB printer, zip drive, scanner. Dell sound system 5.1.
    > Soundblaster sound card. ATi Raedon 9800XT 256 MB Video Card. 17 inch
    > LCD
    > monitor. DSL Modem and ethernet hub.
    >
    > What else Should I tell you?
    >

    > Mud Rat
    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "mud rat hotmail.com>" <oldmudrat@<nospamallowed> wrote in message
    >> > I'm getting a message on startup that the 'system battery power level
    >> > is
    >> > low. Press F1 to continue. Press F2 to enter setup".
    >> >
    >> > Looks like I'm going to have to replace the 'watch' battery.
    >> >
    >> > How difficult is this to do? Other that taking the old one out and
    >> > putting
    >> > the new one in.
    >> >
    >> > Anything I should do before the change-out, other than powering off and
    >> > unpluging from the electrical outlet.
    >> >
    >> > What kind of problems should I be prepared for on restart?
    >> >

    >> > I have had six computers over the last fifteen years and this is the
    > first
    >> > time I have ever had to mess with the CMOS battery.
    >> >

    >> > Mudrat
    >> >

    >> It would help to know what system model/number you've got, and also if
    >> the
    >> system is using a UPS/battery backup.....
    >>

    >> Stew

    Well, apparently it was the UPS battery giving The Alert Notice.

    After shuting down, I unplug the computer and monitor from the UPS and
    plugged them into the surge strip.

    On restart I did not get the Alert messsage.

    Start up Times:
    1 minute 20 seconds to XP boot screen
    37 more seconds to see the WinXP desktop
    18 more seconds to have access to the desktop icons.

    Total boot time 2 minutes 15 seconds.

    And no Low System Batter Alert!

    I'm really surprised about this as I did not install the monitoring software
    that came with the UPS.

    But this appears (for now to have solved my problem).

    Thanks, Folks! I really was not looking forward to changing the CMOS
    battery for fear I would reallly screw up the BIOS settings or something.

    Thank You once Again.

    Mud Rat

    "Craig" <nospam_none@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

    > "mud rat hotmail.com>" <oldmudrat@<nospamallowed> wrote in message
    > > Sorry about not including necessary information.
    > >
    > > I have a Dell XPS Gen 3, WinXP Service Pack 1, Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz, 2
    > > GB
    > > RAM, and I am using a UPS Battery Backup. Two Western Digital 250 GB
    hard
    > > drives. External USB printer, zip drive, scanner. Dell sound system
    5.1.
    > > Soundblaster sound card. ATi Raedon 9800XT 256 MB Video Card. 17 inch
    > > LCD
    > > monitor. DSL Modem and ethernet hub.
    > >
    > > What else Should I tell you?
    > >

    > Try using the computer without the UPS, I have seen UPS's going bad and
    > caused the same problem.
    > If you plug the computer directly into wall outlet or surge strip without
    > using UPS and still have the same problem,
    > then it's a safe bet, it's your CMOS battery.
    >
    > Craig

    Hi!

    > I'm shocked that a machine that new would require a CMOS battery. I have
    5
    > year old machines running on their original.

    It *can* happen though. Sometimes you get a dud for a clock battery...

    One thing the OP might check is to be sure the battery socket is clean. I
    have seen them get dirty and produce low battery errors when in reality
    everything was fine.

    I've got systems here that are pushing 12 or more years on their original
    batteries or Dallas clock modules...for some that's a good thing. I'm not
    looking forward to the day when any of the DS1387 units die...there is no
    replacement for those. I will have to cut them open and power them
    externally at that point...

    William

    There has been a know problem with some Dell models and the false low
    battery message. I had that with my 8300. Dell tech(an actual U.S.
    based technician) told me that(unless the battery is very old) it is
    caused by a temporary loss of ground, usually in a surge strip or ups.
    The cure: turn off the computer, unplug the power cord plugs at the
    back of the computer, at the surge strip, at the ups and at the wall
    outlet. Replug them, firmly, wiggle plugs a little to ensure good
    contact. Restart computer--message is gone. Worked for me. As an
    extra step, go into BIOS and clear the message log. The reason for all
    the unplugging is that the loss of ground could be at any point.

    mud rat <oldmudrat@ wrote:
    > Well, apparently it was the UPS battery giving The Alert Notice.
    >
    > After shuting down, I unplug the computer and monitor from the UPS and
    > plugged them into the surge strip.
    >
    > On restart I did not get the Alert messsage.
    >
    > Start up Times:
    > 1 minute 20 seconds to XP boot screen
    > 37 more seconds to see the WinXP desktop
    > 18 more seconds to have access to the desktop icons.
    >
    > Total boot time 2 minutes 15 seconds.
    >
    > And no Low System Batter Alert!
    >
    > I'm really surprised about this as I did not install the monitoring software
    > that came with the UPS.
    >
    > But this appears (for now to have solved my problem).
    >
    > Thanks, Folks! I really was not looking forward to changing the CMOS
    > battery for fear I would reallly screw up the BIOS settings or something.
    >
    > Thank You once Again.
    >

    > Mud Rat
    >

    > "Craig" <nospam_none@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    >
    >>"mud rat hotmail.com>" <oldmudrat@<nospamallowed> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Sorry about not including necessary information.
    >>>
    >>>I have a Dell XPS Gen 3, WinXP Service Pack 1, Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz, 2
    >>>GB
    >>>RAM, and I am using a UPS Battery Backup. Two Western Digital 250 GB
    >
    > hard
    >
    >>>drives. External USB printer, zip drive, scanner. Dell sound system
    >
    > 5.1.
    >
    >>>Soundblaster sound card. ATi Raedon 9800XT 256 MB Video Card. 17 inch
    >>>LCD
    >>>monitor. DSL Modem and ethernet hub.
    >>>
    >>>What else Should I tell you?
    >>>

    >>Try using the computer without the UPS, I have seen UPS's going bad and
    >>caused the same problem.
    >>If you plug the computer directly into wall outlet or surge strip without
    >>using UPS and still have the same problem,
    >>then it's a safe bet, it's your CMOS battery.
    >>
    >>Craig

    I had one of these last week. It was brutal. Open the case, find the
    coin battery on the motherboard, flip the tiny latch with a flathead
    screwdriver, remove battery, snap new battery in. If it weren't for
    the Diltert-esque call-opening and call-closing that takes 10 minutes
    in itself, I woulda been outta there in 5 minutes (sometimes I can
    get the job done while waiting for call management to catch up).

    I wish eveyrone needed a new battery replacement :) It's a tough job,
    but somebody's gotta do it.

    Dan

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:32:00 -0500, "mud rat"
    <oldmudrat@<nospamallowed>hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I'm getting a message on startup that the 'system battery power level is
    >low. Press F1 to continue. Press F2 to enter setup".
    >
    >Looks like I'm going to have to replace the 'watch' battery.
    >
    >How difficult is this to do? Other that taking the old one out and putting
    >the new one in.
    >
    >Anything I should do before the change-out, other than powering off and
    >unpluging from the electrical outlet.
    >
    >What kind of problems should I be prepared for on restart?
    >

    >I have had six computers over the last fifteen years and this is the first
    >time I have ever had to mess with the CMOS battery.
    >

    >Mudrat

Dell Battery BIOS Computers