Wrong Wireless Network

My daughter uses her Win XP Pro laptop to connect to her college wireless
network (Dell-mini card). At home, she connects to our home network
(Linksys Wireless Access Point G). But even though her college network is
100 miles away, it daily jumps off our home network and goes on her college
network (even though there's nothing to connect to). The signal here to the
Linksys is very strong. And in the box where you list the order of
connection preferences, the Linksys is on top.

So, why is her laptop trying to find her distant college network, and what
can I do to keep her connected to the home network?

Thanks very much

fearless

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004

"MNP" <mnpress@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> My daughter uses her Win XP Pro laptop to connect to her
college wireless
> network (Dell-mini card). At home, she connects to our home
network
> (Linksys Wireless Access Point G). But even though her college
network is
> 100 miles away, it daily jumps off our home network and goes on
her college
> network (even though there's nothing to connect to). The
signal here to the
> Linksys is very strong. And in the box where you list the
order of
> connection preferences, the Linksys is on top.
>
> So, why is her laptop trying to find her distant college
network, and what
> can I do to keep her connected to the home network?
>
> Thanks very much

Does she have the Wireless connectoid set to always connect to
her college network as the "preferred" network? That would
explain why it might try. If so, have her uncheck the box when
she's at home and set the home network as the preferred, or
simply let it choose the strongest signal.

I disagree. A preferred network is just that: preferred. It should only
come into play if the network is available. Both your daughter's college
WLAN and your home WLAN should be on the preferred networks list. Other
networks should be off the list. That way when one of the preferred
networks is available, it will get connected instead of some other
available, but not preferred, network.

Are you sure that it's the college network that her laptop is connecting to,
and not some other network near you, perhaps with the same SSID as the
college?

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"Fearless" <ima@nottelling.com> wrote in message
> "MNP" <mnpress@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > My daughter uses her Win XP Pro laptop to connect to her
> college wireless
> > network (Dell-mini card). At home, she connects to our home
> network
> > (Linksys Wireless Access Point G). But even though her college
> network is
> > 100 miles away, it daily jumps off our home network and goes on
> her college
> > network (even though there's nothing to connect to). The
> signal here to the
> > Linksys is very strong. And in the box where you list the
> order of
> > connection preferences, the Linksys is on top.
> >
> > So, why is her laptop trying to find her distant college
> network, and what
> > can I do to keep her connected to the home network?
> >
> > Thanks very much
> >

> Does she have the Wireless connectoid set to always connect to
> her college network as the "preferred" network? That would
> explain why it might try. If so, have her uncheck the box when
> she's at home and set the home network as the preferred, or
> simply let it choose the strongest signal.

yes, the network it jumps to is the name of her school...so it's not some
local network. Can I somehow disable it until she goes back to college?