When I click the start button and then search. I get nothing and explorer
seems to freeze. I looked in the task manager and it seems that it has not
stoped responding but is using all available CPU. I need to use task manager
to reboot and stop the problem. What should I do? XP Home.

It's difficult to pin this down. I suggest you let it have it's will for say, 5, 10, minutes. Just see if it stabilizes after a few minutes. And don't jump to using Task Manager right away.
How much RAM memory does this pc have? How much RAM in the video card? microprocessor ?
Do you recall if you have Windows Explorer set for extra-super view options?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User