Buying a New PC

rossyl

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2002
With the GeForce 4 coming out in the next month, and DDR Ram on a steady rise..what shall I do?

Because of the GF4 launch...and more advancement in processors I'm gonna prob buy my PC by end Feb/beggining March. Hopefully by then the system I'm looking at now would've dropped in price, do you think it will?

-Radeon 8500LE
-Soltek motherboard
-AMD XP 1500+
-256 DDR Ram

But if DDR Ram is set to rise would I be better off just buying it now and keeping it?

Though the GF3 will almost certainly drop...will the Radeon 8500LE?

Also ADVICE on a hard drive needed not too expensive, around 20GB, at 7200Rpm. I think there is a Fujitsu that is pretty good.

Ross

"If you think too much, you get confused"

G

what OS are you going to use? If you are going to use 2000 or XP pro, then you shouldn't use ATI, they don't perform well under 2000 and XP pro. Even lots of trouble with 2000. And Fujitsu doesn't make IDE drive anymore. They only make SCSI. I used to buy Quantum HD, very good performance and reliable. But it doesn't introduce any new model currently, and Maxtor bought it, so I don't think there will be any new model under the name Quantum. Many people on this forum recommend the new Maxtor 740.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Talk to AMD_Man, he's running an 8500 under W2k, I believe. I plan to install mine under Windows XP.

And yes, Fujitsu still makes IDE drives. They're fairly hard to find, though.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
The price of the vid card will drop, but maybe not until the GF4 is released in April. The processor will slowly creep downwards, but I have heard rumors that AMD has decided to stop producing the XP 1500 and the XP 1600, in which case they may be difficult to find, and may actually go up. You mobo price will likely stay about the same.

As for the RAM, it very difficult to predict, but I believe that it will contimue to rise until late summer/early fall. Traditionally the price runs on a 3, 6 or 9 month cycle. It think this one will be a 6 or 9 month rising cycle.

And yes, you can still get Fujitsu hard drives <A HREF="http://www.dealsdirect.com/catalog/mall.cfm?CATEGORY=48" target="_new">here's the proof</A>. As well the Quantum line is being kept alive by Maxtor. They've just made the prices the same and likely are branding identical drives with different names. In other words, there's no difference between a Maxtor and a Quantum drive except for the sticker on the front that says either Maxtor or Quantum.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
I'm kinda hoping that the recent rise in RAM prices are due to xmas demand. Hopefully there will be a lot more of it around in the next couple of months and prices will come down.

I'm hoping anyway.

-- There are no answers to find in the bottom of a glass. But you can have fun looking for them.