Whats up with my video card???

Amair_sc

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2001
Hi,

I have a Geforce 2 pro card by MSI. A few days ago (maybe 3) I started noticing that the image in Quake 3 and Return to castle wolf got "shaky" when I would circle a specific point (any random specific point). It is like if I was staring at a tickle me Elmo and when I started circling it, Elmo would start to... "vibrate " :O!

It is a serious problem though, I have called the retailer who sold me the card and they told me to call MSI. I did and they told me told me to install the latest drivers... I already had the latest detonators for windows 98se. I also had downloaded the new Ali AGP drivers for my mobo. I have tried de-installing the drivers and reinstalling the stock one to see if there were any improvements... Sadly the situation didn't improve.

Do you guys know what might be causing these video card problems? Do you have any suggestions as to what I should do to get the card fixed/replaced (retailer or MSI)?

Thanks in advance for any help :)!

AMD + Intel = lower prices for me :)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by amair_sc on 01/22/02 05:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Olfin_Bedwere

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
Try and see if you can recreate a similar problem with another game. Quake 3 and RTCW have the same basic engine, so the problem could be a bug with the games.

Amair_sc

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2001
I thought about that option but I ruled it out because the games could play with the new and old drivers before and they didnt show any signs of "Elmoness". :(...

I also experience some sucky "bullet-lag" in max payne :(!

AMD + Intel = lower prices for me :)

G

When did Elmo show his face for the first time? Was it right after installing new drivers? Was it after installing some other software? Was it after a hardware install?
Try and remember the very last thing you did before this happened. Is Quake III and RTCW the only games you play in Open-GL mode?
It really doesn't sound like a video driver issue. If it were a driver issue, there would be thousands of people screaming, both those games are very popular. Try reinstalling DirectX and use version 8.1a
It sounds like a corupted file in your windows system folder. Try replacing your Opengl32.dll file with a current one. You can also try turning off the OpenGL extentions in the two games under graphic's.
Did you try un-installing one of the games, then deleteing the games folders and defraging. After that re-install the game, that way your sure all the files were removed and not reused. I don't think this will do it, but it's something to try.
Also as strange as this may sound, try using your key board to do the same move your doing with your mouse to eliminate any possible mouse driver trouble with the game.
Good Luck

Take it with you, be a MobileGamer :wink:

TRENDING THREADS