I backed up all my "Documents and Settings" using Windows XP BACKUP. I
then re-installed Windows XP and created the same User Accounts. Say
USER1, USER2, USER3. I then restored the "Documents and Settings" from
the backup. I now have the original c:/Documents and Settings/USER1,
c:/Documents and Settings/USER2, c:/Documents and Settings/USER3.
These have all the original Favorites and Documents. But the system
seems to be using new directores, called c:/Documents and
Settings/USER1.HOME, c:/Documents and Settings/USER2.HOME, c:/Documents
and Settings/USER3.HOME.

I guess I could easily copy the original files into the .HOME
directories, but WHY did this happen, and do I really want to stay with
these .HOME directories for consistency purposes.

hummels@insightbb.com wrote:
> I backed up all my "Documents and Settings" using Windows XP
> BACKUP. I then re-installed Windows XP and created the same
> User Accounts. Say USER1, USER2, USER3. I then restored
> the "Documents and Settings" from the backup. I now have
> the original c:/Documents and Settings/USER1, c:/Documents
> and Settings/USER2, c:/Documents and Settings/USER3. These
> have all the original Favorites and Documents. But the
> system seems to be using new directores, called c:/Documents
> and Settings/USER1.HOME, c:/Documents and
> Settings/USER2.HOME, c:/Documents and Settings/USER3.HOME.
>
> I guess I could easily copy the original files into the
> .HOME directories, but WHY did this happen, and do I really
> want to stay with these .HOME directories for consistency
> purposes.

When you were installing XP, did you make this computer a
member of a domain instead of a workgroup? Right click on My
Computer and check the Computer Name page. Does it have a line
that says Domain instead of Workgroup?

It's also possible to see this type of behavior if you didn't
format the partition and ended up installing XP into an
existing Windows folder.

You might want to take a look at the response provided by
MS-MVP Sharon F in this thread:

http://tinyurl.com/8a47t

Nepatsfan

Thanks. I deleted my old partition before installing. So it should
have been fresh.

>From the link you gave me, #2 is probably what happened, but not sure
why. Thanks again, as you got me pointed in the right direction at
leasdt.

If you lose Full Control permissions to your profile folder, in the
%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings folder, Windows 2000 and Windows
XP will create a new one the next time you log on. The new profile is
named:

1. UserName - if the older profile was deleted.
2. UserName.ComputerName - if the old profile exists.