108 vs 54 Mbps / D-link vs Netgear

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a wireless router. I'm probably still going to use my
wired setup since I have an older Linksys wired router/hub that works great.
Initially I just started looking at a wireless card to use at wifi hotspots
(on trips etc.).

I was looking at both the D-link and the Netgear, they both have 54 and
108Mbps routers. From the stats it appears that the 108Mbps is good and
"valid" for a few feet, once you start moving away from the router it
doesn't really seem to make a difference if you have a 108Mbps or not.

Can anyone recommend one brand of the two or is it just a personal
preference?

How about compatibility with wireless network cards, would most cards work
with both the D-link and the Netgear?

Thanks!

Kevin

Before I disabled the wireless portion of my Netgear WGR614 router, it
had great range. Along with my Netgear WG511T notebook card, I could
go a decent ways down the block before losing a signal. Speed was
great, too. The problem I had with the WGR614 was the fact that it
had to be rebooted whenever my laptop went into standby mode and after
logging off (not shutting down) and then logging back on. Those were
my only gripes with it. I now use the WGR614 as my router. It is an
excellent router. I purchased the Belkin F5D7230-4 router as my
access point. The range is not as great as the Netgear, but it's not
bad, either. It has yet to be rebooted and the speed is the same as
with the Netgear. The Netgear WG511T notebook card is all that and a
bag of chips. It has performed flawlessly. Feel free to go to C/NET
for good reviews as well as merely typing in the words "review netgear
wg511t" ,for example, from the google search engine to read various
opinions on any product you're interested in. If you purchase from
Best Buy or Circuit City, you can return the item within a 2 week
period and try a different brand. Hopefully, I've answered your
questions. Take care.

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 11:29:24 -0400, "Kevin"
<kebuchan@c_eh_n_eh_d_eh.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm looking at buying a wireless router. I'm probably still going to use my
>wired setup since I have an older Linksys wired router/hub that works great.
>Initially I just started looking at a wireless card to use at wifi hotspots
>(on trips etc.).
>
>I was looking at both the D-link and the Netgear, they both have 54 and
>108Mbps routers. From the stats it appears that the 108Mbps is good and
>"valid" for a few feet, once you start moving away from the router it
>doesn't really seem to make a difference if you have a 108Mbps or not.
>
>Can anyone recommend one brand of the two or is it just a personal
>preference?
>
>How about compatibility with wireless network cards, would most cards work
>with both the D-link and the Netgear?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Kevin

By the way, I recommend 54g. Its speed is more than eough for home or
business use. Besides, to attain the "possible: speed of 108Mbps you
have to match a certain card with a specific router. Example: The
Netgear WG511T notebook card with the Netgear WGR624 Super G router.
Anyway, hope this helps.

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:34:15 GMT, Doug Jamal
<unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Before I disabled the wireless portion of my Netgear WGR614 router, it
>had great range. Along with my Netgear WG511T notebook card, I could
>go a decent ways down the block before losing a signal. Speed was
>great, too. The problem I had with the WGR614 was the fact that it
>had to be rebooted whenever my laptop went into standby mode and after
>logging off (not shutting down) and then logging back on. Those were
>my only gripes with it. I now use the WGR614 as my router. It is an
>excellent router. I purchased the Belkin F5D7230-4 router as my
>access point. The range is not as great as the Netgear, but it's not
>bad, either. It has yet to be rebooted and the speed is the same as
>with the Netgear. The Netgear WG511T notebook card is all that and a
>bag of chips. It has performed flawlessly. Feel free to go to C/NET
>for good reviews as well as merely typing in the words "review netgear
>wg511t" ,for example, from the google search engine to read various
>opinions on any product you're interested in. If you purchase from
>Best Buy or Circuit City, you can return the item within a 2 week
>period and try a different brand. Hopefully, I've answered your
>questions. Take care.
>

>On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 11:29:24 -0400, "Kevin"
><kebuchan@c_eh_n_eh_d_eh.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm looking at buying a wireless router. I'm probably still going to use my
>>wired setup since I have an older Linksys wired router/hub that works great.
>>Initially I just started looking at a wireless card to use at wifi hotspots
>>(on trips etc.).
>>
>>I was looking at both the D-link and the Netgear, they both have 54 and
>>108Mbps routers. From the stats it appears that the 108Mbps is good and
>>"valid" for a few feet, once you start moving away from the router it
>>doesn't really seem to make a difference if you have a 108Mbps or not.
>>
>>Can anyone recommend one brand of the two or is it just a personal
>>preference?
>>
>>How about compatibility with wireless network cards, would most cards work
>>with both the D-link and the Netgear?
>>
>>Thanks!
>>
>>Kevin

pat

Expert

Doug. thanks for the info.

For purely 54G speeds, do you know if the WG511T has greater range than the
WG511 card? I know that with Netgear, their WGR614 G router does not have as
good a range as the WGT624 Super G router. This difference may also exist
between the two cards Netgear cards.

"Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> By the way, I recommend 54g. Its speed is more than eough for home or
> business use. Besides, to attain the "possible: speed of 108Mbps you
> have to match a certain card with a specific router. Example: The
> Netgear WG511T notebook card with the Netgear WGR624 Super G router.
> Anyway, hope this helps.
>
> On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:34:15 GMT, Doug Jamal
> <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Before I disabled the wireless portion of my Netgear WGR614 router, it
> >had great range. Along with my Netgear WG511T notebook card, I could
> >go a decent ways down the block before losing a signal. Speed was
> >great, too. The problem I had with the WGR614 was the fact that it
> >had to be rebooted whenever my laptop went into standby mode and after
> >logging off (not shutting down) and then logging back on. Those were
> >my only gripes with it. I now use the WGR614 as my router. It is an
> >excellent router. I purchased the Belkin F5D7230-4 router as my
> >access point. The range is not as great as the Netgear, but it's not
> >bad, either. It has yet to be rebooted and the speed is the same as
> >with the Netgear. The Netgear WG511T notebook card is all that and a
> >bag of chips. It has performed flawlessly. Feel free to go to C/NET
> >for good reviews as well as merely typing in the words "review netgear
> >wg511t" ,for example, from the google search engine to read various
> >opinions on any product you're interested in. If you purchase from
> >Best Buy or Circuit City, you can return the item within a 2 week
> >period and try a different brand. Hopefully, I've answered your
> >questions. Take care.
> >

> >On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 11:29:24 -0400, "Kevin"
> ><kebuchan@c_eh_n_eh_d_eh.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>I'm looking at buying a wireless router. I'm probably still going to
use my
> >>wired setup since I have an older Linksys wired router/hub that works
great.
> >>Initially I just started looking at a wireless card to use at wifi
hotspots
> >>(on trips etc.).
> >>
> >>I was looking at both the D-link and the Netgear, they both have 54 and
> >>108Mbps routers. From the stats it appears that the 108Mbps is good and
> >>"valid" for a few feet, once you start moving away from the router it
> >>doesn't really seem to make a difference if you have a 108Mbps or not.
> >>
> >>Can anyone recommend one brand of the two or is it just a personal
> >>preference?
> >>
> >>How about compatibility with wireless network cards, would most cards
work
> >>with both the D-link and the Netgear?
> >>
> >>Thanks!
> >>
> >>Kevin

I have no personal knowledge of the WG511 notebook card. I assume,
howevr, that the WG511T is the suped up version of the WG511. But
that's just a guess. I do know that the WG511T card along with the
WGR624 router is suppose to attain speeds "up to" 108Mbps.

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 23:18:21 GMT, "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Doug. thanks for the info.
>
>For purely 54G speeds, do you know if the WG511T has greater range than the
>WG511 card? I know that with Netgear, their WGR614 G router does not have as
>good a range as the WGT624 Super G router. This difference may also exist
>between the two cards Netgear cards.
>

>"Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> By the way, I recommend 54g. Its speed is more than eough for home or
>> business use. Besides, to attain the "possible: speed of 108Mbps you
>> have to match a certain card with a specific router. Example: The
>> Netgear WG511T notebook card with the Netgear WGR624 Super G router.
>> Anyway, hope this helps.
>>
>> On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:34:15 GMT, Doug Jamal
>> <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Before I disabled the wireless portion of my Netgear WGR614 router, it
>> >had great range. Along with my Netgear WG511T notebook card, I could
>> >go a decent ways down the block before losing a signal. Speed was
>> >great, too. The problem I had with the WGR614 was the fact that it
>> >had to be rebooted whenever my laptop went into standby mode and after
>> >logging off (not shutting down) and then logging back on. Those were
>> >my only gripes with it. I now use the WGR614 as my router. It is an
>> >excellent router. I purchased the Belkin F5D7230-4 router as my
>> >access point. The range is not as great as the Netgear, but it's not
>> >bad, either. It has yet to be rebooted and the speed is the same as
>> >with the Netgear. The Netgear WG511T notebook card is all that and a
>> >bag of chips. It has performed flawlessly. Feel free to go to C/NET
>> >for good reviews as well as merely typing in the words "review netgear
>> >wg511t" ,for example, from the google search engine to read various
>> >opinions on any product you're interested in. If you purchase from
>> >Best Buy or Circuit City, you can return the item within a 2 week
>> >period and try a different brand. Hopefully, I've answered your
>> >questions. Take care.

>use my
>great.
>hotspots

>work

pat

Expert

> I have no personal knowledge of the WG511 notebook card. I assume,
> howevr, that the WG511T is the suped up version of the WG511. But
> that's just a guess. I do know that the WG511T card along with the
> WGR624 router is suppose to attain speeds "up to" 108Mbps.

Yes on the 108Mbps, but I'm compromising at a mixed B+G mode on the router.

I have never seen test results that prove the WG511T has more juice than the
WG511, at any speed. By juice, I mean Output Power and Receive Sensitivity.

I got Dlinks DI-524 (g) router and though I've got it working to my
satisfaction and only paid $49 after rebate, there current WPA-PSK
(encryption) function is very picky. I had to do a whole lot of configuring
to get it to work. I have heard the same out of many other folks including
those that have the DI-624. Just one point against DLink. But otherwise it
works fine and I enjoyed messing with it.

"Kevin" <kebuchan@c_eh_n_eh_d_eh.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking at buying a wireless router. I'm probably still going to use
my
> wired setup since I have an older Linksys wired router/hub that works
great.
> Initially I just started looking at a wireless card to use at wifi
hotspots
> (on trips etc.).
>
> I was looking at both the D-link and the Netgear, they both have 54 and
> 108Mbps routers. From the stats it appears that the 108Mbps is good and
> "valid" for a few feet, once you start moving away from the router it
> doesn't really seem to make a difference if you have a 108Mbps or not.
>
> Can anyone recommend one brand of the two or is it just a personal
> preference?
>
> How about compatibility with wireless network cards, would most cards work
> with both the D-link and the Netgear?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kevin

Are you using the Windows XP wireless configuration utility or the one
that came with your card? The Netgear configuration is extremely easy
to configure regarding WPA-PSK and I can use 128-bit. Just for
curiosity's sake, I downloaded the Windows XP WPA patch and installed
it, however, the WPA never appeared in the Windows XP wireless
configuration and it did not show up in the ADD/REMOVE Programs tab in
the Control Panel.
On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 06:03:10 +0800, "ahh" <ahh@ahh.com> wrote:

>I got Dlinks DI-524 (g) router and though I've got it working to my
>satisfaction and only paid $49 after rebate, there current WPA-PSK
>(encryption) function is very picky. I had to do a whole lot of configuring
>to get it to work. I have heard the same out of many other folks including
>those that have the DI-624. Just one point against DLink. But otherwise it
>works fine and I enjoyed messing with it.
>

>"Kevin" <kebuchan@c_eh_n_eh_d_eh.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm looking at buying a wireless router. I'm probably still going to use
>my
>> wired setup since I have an older Linksys wired router/hub that works
>great.
>> Initially I just started looking at a wireless card to use at wifi
>hotspots
>> (on trips etc.).
>>
>> I was looking at both the D-link and the Netgear, they both have 54 and
>> 108Mbps routers. From the stats it appears that the 108Mbps is good and
>> "valid" for a few feet, once you start moving away from the router it
>> doesn't really seem to make a difference if you have a 108Mbps or not.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend one brand of the two or is it just a personal
>> preference?
>>
>> How about compatibility with wireless network cards, would most cards work
>> with both the D-link and the Netgear?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Kevin

I'm using the Windows XP one. The only thing I ever notice that says
anything WPA related is when I configure a "preferred network" and click
properties. Then I can select WPA-PSK or WPA as well as open and shared.

> Are you using the Windows XP wireless configuration utility or the one
> that came with your card? The Netgear configuration is extremely easy
> to configure regarding WPA-PSK and I can use 128-bit. Just for
> curiosity's sake, I downloaded the Windows XP WPA patch and installed
> it, however, the WPA never appeared in the Windows XP wireless
> configuration and it did not show up in the ADD/REMOVE Programs tab in
> the Control Panel.
> On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 06:03:10 +0800, "ahh" <ahh@ahh.com> wrote:
>
> >I got Dlinks DI-524 (g) router and though I've got it working to my
> >satisfaction and only paid $49 after rebate, there current WPA-PSK
> >(encryption) function is very picky. I had to do a whole lot of
configuring
> >to get it to work. I have heard the same out of many other folks
including
> >those that have the DI-624. Just one point against DLink. But otherwise
it
> >works fine and I enjoyed messing with it.
> >

> >"Kevin" <kebuchan@c_eh_n_eh_d_eh.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'm looking at buying a wireless router. I'm probably still going to
use
> >my
> >> wired setup since I have an older Linksys wired router/hub that works
> >great.
> >> Initially I just started looking at a wireless card to use at wifi
> >hotspots
> >> (on trips etc.).
> >>
> >> I was looking at both the D-link and the Netgear, they both have 54 and
> >> 108Mbps routers. From the stats it appears that the 108Mbps is good
and
> >> "valid" for a few feet, once you start moving away from the router it
> >> doesn't really seem to make a difference if you have a 108Mbps or not.
> >>
> >> Can anyone recommend one brand of the two or is it just a personal
> >> preference?
> >>
> >> How about compatibility with wireless network cards, would most cards
work
> >> with both the D-link and the Netgear?
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Kevin

I have a Netgear FWAG114 and two WG302s. I use both at 54Mb. Both claim
to be 108Mb capable with the latest firmware but I haven't tried it.

I have nothing but good things to say about the units; features, range,
reliability, price, all great. Nothing but bad things to say about the
company. They have, for all practical purposes, no support. Following a
BBB complaint and a letter to their President I got a call from the
Customer Service Manager with all sorts of apologies and promises.
Nothing that she promised ever happened. I think the whole company is
like that from the support guy that answers the phone right up to the
President.

Kevin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking at buying a wireless router. I'm probably still going to use my
> wired setup since I have an older Linksys wired router/hub that works great.
> Initially I just started looking at a wireless card to use at wifi hotspots
> (on trips etc.).
>
> I was looking at both the D-link and the Netgear, they both have 54 and
> 108Mbps routers. From the stats it appears that the 108Mbps is good and
> "valid" for a few feet, once you start moving away from the router it
> doesn't really seem to make a difference if you have a 108Mbps or not.
>
> Can anyone recommend one brand of the two or is it just a personal
> preference?
>
> How about compatibility with wireless network cards, would most cards work
> with both the D-link and the Netgear?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kevin

"Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> By the way, I recommend 54g. Its speed is more than eough for home or
> business use. Besides, to attain the "possible: speed of 108Mbps you
> have to match a certain card with a specific router. Example: The
> Netgear WG511T notebook card with the Netgear WGR624 Super G router.
> Anyway, hope this helps.
>
> On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:34:15 GMT, Doug Jamal
> <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Before I disabled the wireless portion of my Netgear WGR614 router, it
> >had great range. Along with my Netgear WG511T notebook card, I could
> >go a decent ways down the block before losing a signal. Speed was
> >great, too. The problem I had with the WGR614 was the fact that it
> >had to be rebooted whenever my laptop went into standby mode and after
> >logging off (not shutting down) and then logging back on. Those were
> >my only gripes with it. I now use the WGR614 as my router. It is an
> >excellent router. I purchased the Belkin F5D7230-4 router as my
> >access point. The range is not as great as the Netgear, but it's not
> >bad, either. It has yet to be rebooted and the speed is the same as
> >with the Netgear. The Netgear WG511T notebook card is all that and a
> >bag of chips. It has performed flawlessly. Feel free to go to C/NET
> >for good reviews as well as merely typing in the words "review netgear
> >wg511t" ,for example, from the google search engine to read various
> >opinions on any product you're interested in. If you purchase from
> >Best Buy or Circuit City, you can return the item within a 2 week
> >period and try a different brand. Hopefully, I've answered your
> >questions. Take care.

Doug et al,

When you say you recommend the 54g, I am assuming it's the one you're
using.... the Belkin? If I go with a 54Mbps unit, either the Belkin,
Linksys, Netgear or D-link.... do you have any experience with using PCMCIA
cards from a different vendor?

ie. at 54Mbps would most PC cards work regardless of vendor? Say I bought
an SMC or D-link card and a Belkin router? Or any card with a Netgear or
D-link router?

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

You should be able to use a different brand notebook card with a
competitor's router as long as the SSID and WEP settings are set the
same. I'm currently using a Netgear notebook card with a Belkin
router (in access mode) which is then connected to a Netgear router
that is, in turn, connected to a Toshiba cable modem. I think you'll
run into problems attaining the "super G" mode or attaining speeds "up
to" 108 Mbps when mixing various brands. Other than that, hey are
compatible.

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 13:34:02 -0400, "Kevin"