108 vs 54 Mbps / D-link vs Netgear

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a wireless router. I'm probably still going to use my
wired setup since I have an older Linksys wired router/hub that works great.
Initially I just started looking at a wireless card to use at wifi hotspots
(on trips etc.).

I was looking at both the D-link and the Netgear, they both have 54 and
108Mbps routers. From the stats it appears that the 108Mbps is good and
"valid" for a few feet, once you start moving away from the router it
doesn't really seem to make a difference if you have a 108Mbps or not.

Can anyone recommend one brand of the two or is it just a personal
preference?

How about compatibility with wireless network cards, would most cards work
with both the D-link and the Netgear?

Thanks!

Kevin
11 answers Last reply
More about mbps link netgear

    Before I disabled the wireless portion of my Netgear WGR614 router, it
    had great range. Along with my Netgear WG511T notebook card, I could
    go a decent ways down the block before losing a signal. Speed was
    great, too. The problem I had with the WGR614 was the fact that it
    had to be rebooted whenever my laptop went into standby mode and after
    logging off (not shutting down) and then logging back on. Those were
    my only gripes with it. I now use the WGR614 as my router. It is an
    excellent router. I purchased the Belkin F5D7230-4 router as my
    access point. The range is not as great as the Netgear, but it's not
    bad, either. It has yet to be rebooted and the speed is the same as
    with the Netgear. The Netgear WG511T notebook card is all that and a
    bag of chips. It has performed flawlessly. Feel free to go to C/NET
    for good reviews as well as merely typing in the words "review netgear
    wg511t" ,for example, from the google search engine to read various
    opinions on any product you're interested in. If you purchase from
    Best Buy or Circuit City, you can return the item within a 2 week
    period and try a different brand. Hopefully, I've answered your
    questions. Take care.

    On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 11:29:24 -0400, "Kevin"
    <kebuchan@c_eh_n_eh_d_eh.com> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I'm looking at buying a wireless router. I'm probably still going to use my
    >wired setup since I have an older Linksys wired router/hub that works great.
    >Initially I just started looking at a wireless card to use at wifi hotspots
    >(on trips etc.).
    >
    >I was looking at both the D-link and the Netgear, they both have 54 and
    >108Mbps routers. From the stats it appears that the 108Mbps is good and
    >"valid" for a few feet, once you start moving away from the router it
    >doesn't really seem to make a difference if you have a 108Mbps or not.
    >
    >Can anyone recommend one brand of the two or is it just a personal
    >preference?
    >
    >How about compatibility with wireless network cards, would most cards work
    >with both the D-link and the Netgear?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Kevin

    By the way, I recommend 54g. Its speed is more than eough for home or
    business use. Besides, to attain the "possible: speed of 108Mbps you
    have to match a certain card with a specific router. Example: The
    Netgear WG511T notebook card with the Netgear WGR624 Super G router.
    Anyway, hope this helps.

    On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:34:15 GMT, Doug Jamal
    <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Before I disabled the wireless portion of my Netgear WGR614 router, it
    >had great range. Along with my Netgear WG511T notebook card, I could
    >go a decent ways down the block before losing a signal. Speed was
    >great, too. The problem I had with the WGR614 was the fact that it
    >had to be rebooted whenever my laptop went into standby mode and after
    >logging off (not shutting down) and then logging back on. Those were
    >my only gripes with it. I now use the WGR614 as my router. It is an
    >excellent router. I purchased the Belkin F5D7230-4 router as my
    >access point. The range is not as great as the Netgear, but it's not
    >bad, either. It has yet to be rebooted and the speed is the same as
    >with the Netgear. The Netgear WG511T notebook card is all that and a
    >bag of chips. It has performed flawlessly. Feel free to go to C/NET
    >for good reviews as well as merely typing in the words "review netgear
    >wg511t" ,for example, from the google search engine to read various
    >opinions on any product you're interested in. If you purchase from
    >Best Buy or Circuit City, you can return the item within a 2 week
    >period and try a different brand. Hopefully, I've answered your
    >questions. Take care.
    >

    >On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 11:29:24 -0400, "Kevin"
    ><kebuchan@c_eh_n_eh_d_eh.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>I'm looking at buying a wireless router. I'm probably still going to use my
    >>wired setup since I have an older Linksys wired router/hub that works great.
    >>Initially I just started looking at a wireless card to use at wifi hotspots
    >>(on trips etc.).
    >>
    >>I was looking at both the D-link and the Netgear, they both have 54 and
    >>108Mbps routers. From the stats it appears that the 108Mbps is good and
    >>"valid" for a few feet, once you start moving away from the router it
    >>doesn't really seem to make a difference if you have a 108Mbps or not.
    >>
    >>Can anyone recommend one brand of the two or is it just a personal
    >>preference?
    >>
    >>How about compatibility with wireless network cards, would most cards work
    >>with both the D-link and the Netgear?
    >>
    >>Thanks!
    >>
    >>Kevin

    Doug. thanks for the info.

    For purely 54G speeds, do you know if the WG511T has greater range than the
    WG511 card? I know that with Netgear, their WGR614 G router does not have as
    good a range as the WGT624 Super G router. This difference may also exist
    between the two cards Netgear cards.

    "Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > By the way, I recommend 54g. Its speed is more than eough for home or
    > business use. Besides, to attain the "possible: speed of 108Mbps you
    > have to match a certain card with a specific router. Example: The
    > Netgear WG511T notebook card with the Netgear WGR624 Super G router.
    > Anyway, hope this helps.
    >
    > On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:34:15 GMT, Doug Jamal
    > <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Before I disabled the wireless portion of my Netgear WGR614 router, it
    > >had great range. Along with my Netgear WG511T notebook card, I could
    > >go a decent ways down the block before losing a signal. Speed was
    > >great, too. The problem I had with the WGR614 was the fact that it
    > >had to be rebooted whenever my laptop went into standby mode and after
    > >logging off (not shutting down) and then logging back on. Those were
    > >my only gripes with it. I now use the WGR614 as my router. It is an
    > >excellent router. I purchased the Belkin F5D7230-4 router as my
    > >access point. The range is not as great as the Netgear, but it's not
    > >bad, either. It has yet to be rebooted and the speed is the same as
    > >with the Netgear. The Netgear WG511T notebook card is all that and a
    > >bag of chips. It has performed flawlessly. Feel free to go to C/NET
    > >for good reviews as well as merely typing in the words "review netgear
    > >wg511t" ,for example, from the google search engine to read various
    > >opinions on any product you're interested in. If you purchase from
    > >Best Buy or Circuit City, you can return the item within a 2 week
    > >period and try a different brand. Hopefully, I've answered your
    > >questions. Take care.
    > >

    > >On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 11:29:24 -0400, "Kevin"
    > ><kebuchan@c_eh_n_eh_d_eh.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Hi all,
    > >>
    > >>I'm looking at buying a wireless router. I'm probably still going to
    use my
    > >>wired setup since I have an older Linksys wired router/hub that works
    great.
    > >>Initially I just started looking at a wireless card to use at wifi
    hotspots
    > >>(on trips etc.).
    > >>
    > >>I was looking at both the D-link and the Netgear, they both have 54 and
    > >>108Mbps routers. From the stats it appears that the 108Mbps is good and
    > >>"valid" for a few feet, once you start moving away from the router it
    > >>doesn't really seem to make a difference if you have a 108Mbps or not.
    > >>
    > >>Can anyone recommend one brand of the two or is it just a personal
    > >>preference?
    > >>
    > >>How about compatibility with wireless network cards, would most cards
    work
    > >>with both the D-link and the Netgear?
    > >>
    > >>Thanks!
    > >>
    > >>Kevin

    I have no personal knowledge of the WG511 notebook card. I assume,
    howevr, that the WG511T is the suped up version of the WG511. But
    that's just a guess. I do know that the WG511T card along with the
    WGR624 router is suppose to attain speeds "up to" 108Mbps.

    > I have no personal knowledge of the WG511 notebook card. I assume,
    > howevr, that the WG511T is the suped up version of the WG511. But
    > that's just a guess. I do know that the WG511T card along with the
    > WGR624 router is suppose to attain speeds "up to" 108Mbps.

    Yes on the 108Mbps, but I'm compromising at a mixed B+G mode on the router.

    I have never seen test results that prove the WG511T has more juice than the
    WG511, at any speed. By juice, I mean Output Power and Receive Sensitivity.

    I got Dlinks DI-524 (g) router and though I've got it working to my
    satisfaction and only paid $49 after rebate, there current WPA-PSK
    (encryption) function is very picky. I had to do a whole lot of configuring
    to get it to work. I have heard the same out of many other folks including
    those that have the DI-624. Just one point against DLink. But otherwise it
    works fine and I enjoyed messing with it.

    "Kevin" <kebuchan@c_eh_n_eh_d_eh.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm looking at buying a wireless router. I'm probably still going to use
    my
    > wired setup since I have an older Linksys wired router/hub that works
    great.
    > Initially I just started looking at a wireless card to use at wifi
    hotspots
    > (on trips etc.).
    >
    > I was looking at both the D-link and the Netgear, they both have 54 and
    > 108Mbps routers. From the stats it appears that the 108Mbps is good and
    > "valid" for a few feet, once you start moving away from the router it
    > doesn't really seem to make a difference if you have a 108Mbps or not.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend one brand of the two or is it just a personal
    > preference?
    >
    > How about compatibility with wireless network cards, would most cards work
    > with both the D-link and the Netgear?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Kevin

    Are you using the Windows XP wireless configuration utility or the one
    that came with your card? The Netgear configuration is extremely easy
    to configure regarding WPA-PSK and I can use 128-bit. Just for
    curiosity's sake, I downloaded the Windows XP WPA patch and installed
    it, however, the WPA never appeared in the Windows XP wireless
    configuration and it did not show up in the ADD/REMOVE Programs tab in
    the Control Panel.
    On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 06:03:10 +0800, "ahh" <ahh@ahh.com> wrote:

    >I got Dlinks DI-524 (g) router and though I've got it working to my
    >satisfaction and only paid $49 after rebate, there current WPA-PSK
    >(encryption) function is very picky. I had to do a whole lot of configuring
    >to get it to work. I have heard the same out of many other folks including
    >those that have the DI-624. Just one point against DLink. But otherwise it
    >works fine and I enjoyed messing with it.
    >

    >"Kevin" <kebuchan@c_eh_n_eh_d_eh.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I'm looking at buying a wireless router. I'm probably still going to use
    >my
    >> wired setup since I have an older Linksys wired router/hub that works
    >great.
    >> Initially I just started looking at a wireless card to use at wifi
    >hotspots
    >> (on trips etc.).
    >>
    >> I was looking at both the D-link and the Netgear, they both have 54 and
    >> 108Mbps routers. From the stats it appears that the 108Mbps is good and
    >> "valid" for a few feet, once you start moving away from the router it
    >> doesn't really seem to make a difference if you have a 108Mbps or not.
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend one brand of the two or is it just a personal
    >> preference?
    >>
    >> How about compatibility with wireless network cards, would most cards work
    >> with both the D-link and the Netgear?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Kevin

    I'm using the Windows XP one. The only thing I ever notice that says
    anything WPA related is when I configure a "preferred network" and click
    properties. Then I can select WPA-PSK or WPA as well as open and shared.

    > Are you using the Windows XP wireless configuration utility or the one
    > that came with your card? The Netgear configuration is extremely easy
    > to configure regarding WPA-PSK and I can use 128-bit. Just for
    > curiosity's sake, I downloaded the Windows XP WPA patch and installed
    > it, however, the WPA never appeared in the Windows XP wireless
    > configuration and it did not show up in the ADD/REMOVE Programs tab in
    > the Control Panel.
    > On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 06:03:10 +0800, "ahh" <ahh@ahh.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I got Dlinks DI-524 (g) router and though I've got it working to my
    > >satisfaction and only paid $49 after rebate, there current WPA-PSK
    > >(encryption) function is very picky. I had to do a whole lot of
    configuring
    > >to get it to work. I have heard the same out of many other folks
    including
    > >those that have the DI-624. Just one point against DLink. But otherwise
    it
    > >works fine and I enjoyed messing with it.
    > >

    > >"Kevin" <kebuchan@c_eh_n_eh_d_eh.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hi all,
    > >>
    > >> I'm looking at buying a wireless router. I'm probably still going to
    use
    > >my
    > >> wired setup since I have an older Linksys wired router/hub that works
    > >great.
    > >> Initially I just started looking at a wireless card to use at wifi
    > >hotspots
    > >> (on trips etc.).
    > >>
    > >> I was looking at both the D-link and the Netgear, they both have 54 and
    > >> 108Mbps routers. From the stats it appears that the 108Mbps is good
    and
    > >> "valid" for a few feet, once you start moving away from the router it
    > >> doesn't really seem to make a difference if you have a 108Mbps or not.
    > >>
    > >> Can anyone recommend one brand of the two or is it just a personal
    > >> preference?
    > >>
    > >> How about compatibility with wireless network cards, would most cards
    work
    > >> with both the D-link and the Netgear?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks!
    > >>
    > >> Kevin

    I have a Netgear FWAG114 and two WG302s. I use both at 54Mb. Both claim
    to be 108Mb capable with the latest firmware but I haven't tried it.

    I have nothing but good things to say about the units; features, range,
    reliability, price, all great. Nothing but bad things to say about the
    company. They have, for all practical purposes, no support. Following a
    BBB complaint and a letter to their President I got a call from the
    Customer Service Manager with all sorts of apologies and promises.
    Nothing that she promised ever happened. I think the whole company is
    like that from the support guy that answers the phone right up to the
    President.

    Kevin wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm looking at buying a wireless router. I'm probably still going to use my
    > wired setup since I have an older Linksys wired router/hub that works great.
    > Initially I just started looking at a wireless card to use at wifi hotspots
    > (on trips etc.).
    >
    > I was looking at both the D-link and the Netgear, they both have 54 and
    > 108Mbps routers. From the stats it appears that the 108Mbps is good and
    > "valid" for a few feet, once you start moving away from the router it
    > doesn't really seem to make a difference if you have a 108Mbps or not.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend one brand of the two or is it just a personal
    > preference?
    >
    > How about compatibility with wireless network cards, would most cards work
    > with both the D-link and the Netgear?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Kevin

    "Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > By the way, I recommend 54g. Its speed is more than eough for home or
    > business use. Besides, to attain the "possible: speed of 108Mbps you
    > have to match a certain card with a specific router. Example: The
    > Netgear WG511T notebook card with the Netgear WGR624 Super G router.
    > Anyway, hope this helps.
    >
    > On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:34:15 GMT, Doug Jamal
    > <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Before I disabled the wireless portion of my Netgear WGR614 router, it
    > >had great range. Along with my Netgear WG511T notebook card, I could
    > >go a decent ways down the block before losing a signal. Speed was
    > >great, too. The problem I had with the WGR614 was the fact that it
    > >had to be rebooted whenever my laptop went into standby mode and after
    > >logging off (not shutting down) and then logging back on. Those were
    > >my only gripes with it. I now use the WGR614 as my router. It is an
    > >excellent router. I purchased the Belkin F5D7230-4 router as my
    > >access point. The range is not as great as the Netgear, but it's not
    > >bad, either. It has yet to be rebooted and the speed is the same as
    > >with the Netgear. The Netgear WG511T notebook card is all that and a
    > >bag of chips. It has performed flawlessly. Feel free to go to C/NET
    > >for good reviews as well as merely typing in the words "review netgear
    > >wg511t" ,for example, from the google search engine to read various
    > >opinions on any product you're interested in. If you purchase from
    > >Best Buy or Circuit City, you can return the item within a 2 week
    > >period and try a different brand. Hopefully, I've answered your
    > >questions. Take care.

    Doug et al,

    When you say you recommend the 54g, I am assuming it's the one you're
    using.... the Belkin? If I go with a 54Mbps unit, either the Belkin,
    Linksys, Netgear or D-link.... do you have any experience with using PCMCIA
    cards from a different vendor?

    ie. at 54Mbps would most PC cards work regardless of vendor? Say I bought
    an SMC or D-link card and a Belkin router? Or any card with a Netgear or
    D-link router?

    Thanks,

    Kevin

    Hi Kevin,

    You should be able to use a different brand notebook card with a
    competitor's router as long as the SSID and WEP settings are set the
    same. I'm currently using a Netgear notebook card with a Belkin
    router (in access mode) which is then connected to a Netgear router
    that is, in turn, connected to a Toshiba cable modem. I think you'll
    run into problems attaining the "super G" mode or attaining speeds "up
    to" 108 Mbps when mixing various brands. Other than that, hey are
    compatible.

    On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 13:34:02 -0400, "Kevin"
    <kebuchan@c_eh_n_eh_d_eh.com> wrote:

    >"Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> By the way, I recommend 54g. Its speed is more than eough for home or
    >> business use. Besides, to attain the "possible: speed of 108Mbps you
    >> have to match a certain card with a specific router. Example: The
    >> Netgear WG511T notebook card with the Netgear WGR624 Super G router.
    >> Anyway, hope this helps.
    >>
    >> On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:34:15 GMT, Doug Jamal
    >> <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Before I disabled the wireless portion of my Netgear WGR614 router, it
    >> >had great range. Along with my Netgear WG511T notebook card, I could
    >> >go a decent ways down the block before losing a signal. Speed was
    >> >great, too. The problem I had with the WGR614 was the fact that it
    >> >had to be rebooted whenever my laptop went into standby mode and after
    >> >logging off (not shutting down) and then logging back on. Those were
    >> >my only gripes with it. I now use the WGR614 as my router. It is an
    >> >excellent router. I purchased the Belkin F5D7230-4 router as my
    >> >access point. The range is not as great as the Netgear, but it's not
    >> >bad, either. It has yet to be rebooted and the speed is the same as
    >> >with the Netgear. The Netgear WG511T notebook card is all that and a
    >> >bag of chips. It has performed flawlessly. Feel free to go to C/NET
    >> >for good reviews as well as merely typing in the words "review netgear
    >> >wg511t" ,for example, from the google search engine to read various
    >> >opinions on any product you're interested in. If you purchase from
    >> >Best Buy or Circuit City, you can return the item within a 2 week
    >> >period and try a different brand. Hopefully, I've answered your
    >> >questions. Take care.
    >
    >Doug et al,
    >
    >When you say you recommend the 54g, I am assuming it's the one you're
    >using.... the Belkin? If I go with a 54Mbps unit, either the Belkin,
    >Linksys, Netgear or D-link.... do you have any experience with using PCMCIA
    >cards from a different vendor?
    >
    >ie. at 54Mbps would most PC cards work regardless of vendor? Say I bought
    >an SMC or D-link card and a Belkin router? Or any card with a Netgear or
    >D-link router?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Kevin

Routers D-Link Netgear Wireless Networking Product