help with startup time/possible worm??

:mad:

Hi all --

So my computer got a virus, I decided to use system restore, and upon
doing that, my computer took about 7 full minutes to load (it's a 3.4
mgz Pent IV 100 gig HD 1 gig ram system) ---

I then ran various virus programs and saw instances of a worm (over
1000 instances) that somehow got unlocked when I ran the restore
program (is that even possible??)

Anyways, now I THINK (as I cross my fingers) that the virus is gone,
but now the boot time is STILL taking a long time (4 minutes plus).
Some questions:

1] does a full HD make a difference w/ regard to boot time?
2] Would reinstalling windows possibly make a difference?
3] is there a possible spyware/adware/registry problem that norton
would not have picked up?? I have some ad-ware programs too, but just
checking.

Thanks soooo much!

-Eric

--
ericuf
1 answer Last reply

    Slow computer

    "ericuf" <ericuf.1um5pr@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > :mad:
    >
    > Hi all --
    >
    > So my computer got a virus, I decided to use system restore, and upon
    > doing that, my computer took about 7 full minutes to load (it's a 3.4
    > mgz Pent IV 100 gig HD 1 gig ram system) ---
    >
    > I then ran various virus programs and saw instances of a worm (over
    > 1000 instances) that somehow got unlocked when I ran the restore
    > program (is that even possible??)
    >
    > Anyways, now I THINK (as I cross my fingers) that the virus is gone,
    > but now the boot time is STILL taking a long time (4 minutes plus).
    > Some questions:
    >
    > 1] does a full HD make a difference w/ regard to boot time?
    > 2] Would reinstalling windows possibly make a difference?
    > 3] is there a possible spyware/adware/registry problem that norton
    > would not have picked up?? I have some ad-ware programs too, but just
    > checking.
    >
    > Thanks soooo much!
    >
    > -Eric
    >

    > --