cannot delete file

Hi,

I cannot delete a simple .doc file! Nothing happens when clicking on delete.
If I want to delete the whole folder, it says that the file name of the item
it contains is too long. Clicking on properties results in the box telling
me that there are 0 bytes in this folder. So, what shall I do?

Best,
Eva
2 answers Last reply
More about cannot delete file

    See Aumha website page for removing unwanted & hard to remove files.
    MANUALLY DELETING STUBBORN FILES
    http://aumha.org/a/stubborn.htm

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Eva wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I cannot delete a simple .doc file! Nothing happens when clicking on
    > delete. If I want to delete the whole folder, it says that the file
    > name of the item it contains is too long. Clicking on properties
    > results in the box telling me that there are 0 bytes in this folder.
    > So, what shall I do?
    >
    > Best,
    > Eva

    Run chkdsk /f. (You will probably get multiple replies here addressing the
    case where a file cannot be deleted because it is open. That situation,
    which typically generates an 'access denied' message, is often confused with
    the symptoms you report which usually indicate a disk error.)
    --

    "Eva" <Eveline.Huegli@iapss.org> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I cannot delete a simple .doc file! Nothing happens when clicking on
    > delete. If I want to delete the whole folder, it says that the file name
    > of the item it contains is too long. Clicking on properties results in the
    > box telling me that there are 0 bytes in this folder. So, what shall I do?
    >
    > Best,
    > Eva

Support Microsoft Windows XP