how to offer remote support not throu port 3389

Hi,

as an administrator I want to connect to two XP Home Computers after a
dsl router for remote support. To tell which client to connect to I
configured the router to forward incomming port 3345 to the first
client's port 3389 and port 3350 to second client's port 3389.

In case of invitation I change the port (and IP) within the invitation,
and everything is fine.

But I want to OFFER remote support to make the procedure more easy. How
to tell the port number when I have to tell the remote IP while
starting support connection. Is it possible at all? When I write IP and
port this classical way - 128.45.45.12:3345 - I got the message system
was not able to find the client.

Any idea? Thanks for help.

Meik
6 answers Last reply
More about offer remote support throu port 3389

    Remote scripting will probably allow you to remotely issue an invite from the client

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?URL=/library/en-us/dnclinic/html/scripting11132000.asp
    "WSH 5.6 ships with a new object, WshRemote, that is designed to do exactly this. The WshRemote object model provides an execute
    method that will run a WSH script on a remote Windows machine."

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    <schnellemail2@gmx.de> wrote in message news:1125482126.523544.15710@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > as an administrator I want to connect to two XP Home Computers after a
    > dsl router for remote support. To tell which client to connect to I
    > configured the router to forward incomming port 3345 to the first
    > client's port 3389 and port 3350 to second client's port 3389.
    >
    > In case of invitation I change the port (and IP) within the invitation,
    > and everything is fine.
    >
    > But I want to OFFER remote support to make the procedure more easy. How
    > to tell the port number when I have to tell the remote IP while
    > starting support connection. Is it possible at all? When I write IP and
    > port this classical way - 128.45.45.12:3345 - I got the message system
    > was not able to find the client.
    >
    > Any idea? Thanks for help.
    >
    > Meik

    Hi Mark,

    thanks for responding. Could you or somebody else tell me how to handle
    the WshRemote object to create remote support invitation? And if it
    should be possible in WHS then it should be possible in VB6, too, what
    I prefer.

    Meik

    > Remote scripting will probably allow you to remotely issue an invite from the client
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?URL=/library/en-us/dnclinic/html/scripting11132000.asp
    > "WSH 5.6 ships with a new object, WshRemote, that is designed to do exactly this. The WshRemote object model provides an execute
    > method that will run a WSH script on a remote Windows machine."

    Okay, Mark. The script works, but only the way I already know at
    start-run

    hcp://CN=Microsoft%20Corporation,L=Redmond,S=Washington,C=US/Remote%20Assistance/Escalation/Unsolicited/Unsolicitedrcui.htm

    Unfortunately I still don't know how to change default port 3389 to
    something else. You remember that the DSL router expects a certain port
    to forward my request to the proper computer within the lan I want to
    get through. Any idea?

    Meik

    Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4454e0e1-61fa-447a-bdcd-499f73a637d1&DisplayLang=en

    Windows Firewall Settings: Remote Administration Tools: Security Services:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/TechRef/62D661CC-8267-4440-AACC-55358C602A08.mspx

    FwRemoteAdminEnable.vbs:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/solutions/appcompat/fwremoteadminenable-vbs.mspx

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    <schnellemail2@gmx.de> wrote in message news:1125668215.657609.292970@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    > Okay, Mark. The script works, but only the way I already know at
    > start-run
    >
    > hcp://CN=Microsoft%20Corporation,L=Redmond,S=Washington,C=US/Remote%20Assistance/Escalation/Unsolicited/Unsolicitedrcui.htm
    >
    > Unfortunately I still don't know how to change default port 3389 to
    > something else. You remember that the DSL router expects a certain port
    > to forward my request to the proper computer within the lan I want to
    > get through. Any idea?
    >
    > Meik

    Hi Mark,

    when I understand you properly you say that port forwarding is possible
    if you have configured firewall right. But there is no firewall running
    at all. What to do? Otherwise the invitation methode would not run, but
    it does.

    Meik

    No, you don't need a firewall to forward a port. Whatever is acting as your router or proxy server should do that.

    You are trying to make Home into Pro. Good luck.

    304304 - Configuring the Remote Desktop Client to Connect to a Specific Port:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304304

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    <schnellemail2@gmx.de> wrote in message news:1125764787.027146.274950@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
    > Hi Mark,
    >
    > when I understand you properly you say that port forwarding is possible
    > if you have configured firewall right. But there is no firewall running
    > at all. What to do? Otherwise the invitation methode would not run, but
    > it does.
    >
    > Meik

Support Connection Windows XP