Very strange problem...

August 31, 2005 5:44:34 PM

Hi,

This is probably posted to the wrong group but I really don't know which
group it applies to so even if your only help is to advise a better group to
post to, I would appreciate it.

We run Win2k servers and have about 350 clients. Just upgraded to Win XP on
the clients.

In active directory we have mapped a drive for users homespace as follows:

U: \\wrsrv\users\supportstaff\username we also have a script in a group
policy giving other mapped drives.

This has worked fine for a few years and hasnt been changed.

Several months ago we added a new machine for one of the users, it runs win
xp. Heres the tricky part, every now and then when the user logs on the
homespace is mapped to \\wrsrv\users it should be
\\wrsrv\users\supportstaff\username .

This may happen at any time, it will be fine for a few weeks and then it
happens.

It only happend on the one machine, we have other xp machines which were
fine.

Now we've rolled out win xp to the whole site and this problem is happening
on all the new images. Again its random, most times things will be fine but
sometimes the problem happens.

I've looked at all the obvious stuff but would really appreciate if anyone
can help....

Cheers,
Gary Valentine
Network Support
St Georges College

More about : strange problem

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 2:45:40 PM

Mapped Drive Connection to Network Share May Be Lost - timeout:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684

--
Mark L. Ferguson

!