Ethernet

Paul

Splendid

I have signed up for DSL and am required to have a Ethernet card. Does my
Dell Dimension 4600 computer have a Ethernet already installed? I looked
under device manager (Windows XP Home)and there is a listing for a Intel (R)
Pro/100 VE Network Connection. Good enough?
Thanks Paul

Craig

"Paul" <atwater@(NOSPAM)pacbell.net> wrote in message
>I have signed up for DSL and am required to have a Ethernet card. Does my
>Dell Dimension 4600 computer have a Ethernet already installed? I looked
>under device manager (Windows XP Home)and there is a listing for a Intel
>(R) Pro/100 VE Network Connection. Good enough?
> Thanks Paul

Yes the your computer has Ethernet, it is DSL ready.

Craig

"Paul" <atwater@(NOSPAM)pacbell.net> wrote in message
>I have signed up for DSL and am required to have a Ethernet card. Does my
>Dell Dimension 4600 computer have a Ethernet already installed? I looked
>under device manager (Windows XP Home)and there is a listing for a Intel
>(R) Pro/100 VE Network Connection. Good enough?
> Thanks Paul

Onboard/Integrated NIC. Yep. You're good to go.

Stew

In article <txxwe.1133$0V3.801@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, "Paul"
<atwater@(NOSPAM)pacbell.net> says...

> I have signed up for DSL and am required to have a Ethernet card. Does my
> Dell Dimension 4600 computer have a Ethernet already installed? I looked
> under device manager (Windows XP Home)and there is a listing for a Intel (R)
> Pro/100 VE Network Connection. Good enough?
> Thanks Paul

Others have already answered your Ethernet query. I would like to
add my own caution.

DO NOT, under ANY conditions, connect an unprotected (as in no
firewall) Windows-based system to ANY sort of broadband Internet
connection! If you do, it is almost a certainty that it will be virus or
trojan-compromised, and thus turned into a spammer abuse toy, within
minutes.

The alleged "firewall" that comes with current versions of Windows
X(tra)P(ain) is, at best, a bad joke. Remember, it comes from the same
company that let all the vulnerabilities creep into Windows to begin
with.

At the very least, install the free version of Agnitum Outpost Pro
or ZoneAlarm. Ideally, I would suggest installing a Netgear broadband
router/firewall combo box.

Yes it's extra $$, but do you want your computer to be turned into
a quivering wreck within ten minutes?

Happy tweaking.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

Sound advice, through and through. Yes, a non-Microsoft firewall and a router
with NAT between computer and DSL... Ben Myers