I'm having problems with windows xp starting up/loading.

Here's what's happening: I turn my computer on and things SEEM to be
beginning to load, but before I get to the blue windows xp screen for login,
everything just shuts down and turns off. Then, strangely, if I turn my
power source off to the entire computer, then turn it back on, windows will
load by itself properly.

What I've tried:

1) ran the malicious software removal tool from microsoft website. Did this
4 times....all four times it said my computer was not infected with any of
the infections.

2) tried system restore.......but for some reason will not let me go back
to a point PAST when I started having problems. ??? I thought you could go
back to whenever you wanted, but it will only allow me to reset it to about a
week ago, which is when I started having these problems.

3) tried full system norton virus scan...did this three full
times.......nothing. I use live update too.

All advice appreciated......

Greenlee

Hi there :) Ugh...these are the hardest problems sometimes. You checked
what seems to be the right things to check, but since your computer works
when you turn off your power source and turn it back on, do you think your
power source is at fault? Are you using a UPS or surge protector? Could be
possibly a faulty power supply in your computer. Don't know how, but
stranger things have happened. Ensure all plugs are securly fastened/pluged
in. Does you computer function normally when you log back in after you turn
the power supply to your computer off/on?