Windows XP reboots when entering Safe Mode

Hello! =) I have a problem I haven't come across before. My computer is
Windows XP Pro, updated, clean of virus (known viruses anyway), no spyware.
I treid booting into safe mode yesterday, when upon reaching the logon
screen, the computer suddenly restarts. Every time. Does anyone know or
have this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will try
again later today to figure it out, but looking for a head start. Thanks in
advance.

"Deedlbug" <Deedlbug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello! =) I have a problem I haven't come across before. My computer is
>Windows XP Pro, updated, clean of virus (known viruses anyway), no spyware.
>I treid booting into safe mode yesterday, when upon reaching the logon
>screen, the computer suddenly restarts. Every time. Does anyone know or
>have this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will try
>again later today to figure it out, but looking for a head start. Thanks in
>advance.

Is the system failure automatic restart option selected?

Use Control Panel - System - Advanced and click on the Settings button
in the Startup and Recovery (bottom) section. If the "automatically
restart" box is selected click on it to clear it then click on Apply
and OK as needed to exit.

Also check for an error log entry for the reboot. Right-click on My
Computer and select Manage. Expand the Event Viewer category to show
the 3 subcategories and browse through each of these looking for
red-flagged error records whose date and time stamp corresponds to
your Safe Mode startup failure. Double click on an error record to
see the details of that error.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

AH.....thanks. I will try this later and let you know how I make out.

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "Deedlbug" <Deedlbug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello! =) I have a problem I haven't come across before. My computer is
> >Windows XP Pro, updated, clean of virus (known viruses anyway), no spyware.
> >I treid booting into safe mode yesterday, when upon reaching the logon
> >screen, the computer suddenly restarts. Every time. Does anyone know or
> >have this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will try
> >again later today to figure it out, but looking for a head start. Thanks in
> >advance.
>
> Is the system failure automatic restart option selected?
>
> Use Control Panel - System - Advanced and click on the Settings button
> in the Startup and Recovery (bottom) section. If the "automatically
> restart" box is selected click on it to clear it then click on Apply
> and OK as needed to exit.
>
> Also check for an error log entry for the reboot. Right-click on My
> Computer and select Manage. Expand the Event Viewer category to show
> the 3 subcategories and browse through each of these looking for
> red-flagged error records whose date and time stamp corresponds to
> your Safe Mode startup failure. Double click on an error record to
> see the details of that error.
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Well.....no luck. I checked the automatically restart box and it was already
un-checked. Also no log of the event in the Event Viewer. As soon as I get
to the logon screen on Windows XP in safe mode, the computer restarts. I
also (today) started having trouble with my Symantec Antivirus. Strange...I
can launch a system scan, but the screen that comes up to display the
scanning progress, does not. The event viewer showed of a bunch of errors
with the antivirus also. Sigh....so I uninstalled Norton, and installed
Mcaffee. I did a scan and it found two viruses. Deleted those viruses. I
can't find a history in Mcafee so I forget what the names are. SO now I'm
running the Stinger app and probably won't have any luck, but is it possible
somehow my system files are corrupted somewhat and the only side effect is I
can't boot into safe mode? Or am I looking to far into this and the answer
is right under a mouse click. Thanks

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "Deedlbug" <Deedlbug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello! =) I have a problem I haven't come across before. My computer is
> >Windows XP Pro, updated, clean of virus (known viruses anyway), no spyware.
> >I treid booting into safe mode yesterday, when upon reaching the logon
> >screen, the computer suddenly restarts. Every time. Does anyone know or
> >have this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will try
> >again later today to figure it out, but looking for a head start. Thanks in
> >advance.
>
> Is the system failure automatic restart option selected?
>
> Use Control Panel - System - Advanced and click on the Settings button
> in the Startup and Recovery (bottom) section. If the "automatically
> restart" box is selected click on it to clear it then click on Apply
> and OK as needed to exit.
>
> Also check for an error log entry for the reboot. Right-click on My
> Computer and select Manage. Expand the Event Viewer category to show
> the 3 subcategories and browse through each of these looking for
> red-flagged error records whose date and time stamp corresponds to
> your Safe Mode startup failure. Double click on an error record to
> see the details of that error.
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

"Deedlbug" <Deedlbug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Well.....no luck. I checked the automatically restart box and it was already
>un-checked. Also no log of the event in the Event Viewer. As soon as I get
>to the logon screen on Windows XP in safe mode, the computer restarts. I
>also (today) started having trouble with my Symantec Antivirus. Strange...I
>can launch a system scan, but the screen that comes up to display the
>scanning progress, does not. The event viewer showed of a bunch of errors
>with the antivirus also. Sigh....so I uninstalled Norton, and installed
>Mcaffee. I did a scan and it found two viruses. Deleted those viruses. I
>can't find a history in Mcafee so I forget what the names are. SO now I'm
>running the Stinger app and probably won't have any luck, but is it possible
>somehow my system files are corrupted somewhat and the only side effect is I
>can't boot into safe mode? Or am I looking to far into this and the answer
>is right under a mouse click. Thanks

Many possibilities given the information you have just posted.

I would also suggest that you do a further virus scan with one of the
free online virus scanning sites such as
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Once you are satisfied that your machine is clean then open a DOS
command prompt window and enter the following command:

SFC /SCANNOW

and see if that will correct the Safe Mode booting problem.

Failing to boot in Safe Mode but booting okay in normal mode implies
that at least one of the generic device drivers that are used in Safe
Mode for video, hard drive, and other components has become corrupted
in some way. SFC should find and fix this.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

I think were getting warmer. I used the online virus scan and found nothing.
Good...I think. I ran SFC /scannow and it asked me for my XP cd. Now is
this something it always asks for? or does this mean that there is a
corrupted file in C:WINDOWS\System32\Dllcache folder? I only have a recovery
cd but I think the I386 folder is on my drive (I have to look for it) I will
change the necessary registry valuse to direct windows to these files on my
machine, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup sourcepath I will try again later as I am now at
work away from my PC. One question though, If I put files back from the CD
with SFC, will it conflict with the files I downloaded from Windows Update?
Windows Update overwrites some system files...correct? So putting an older
version back in play will be okay? Thanks again......we're most likely on
the right path now.

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "Deedlbug" <Deedlbug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Well.....no luck. I checked the automatically restart box and it was already
> >un-checked. Also no log of the event in the Event Viewer. As soon as I get
> >to the logon screen on Windows XP in safe mode, the computer restarts. I
> >also (today) started having trouble with my Symantec Antivirus. Strange...I
> >can launch a system scan, but the screen that comes up to display the
> >scanning progress, does not. The event viewer showed of a bunch of errors
> >with the antivirus also. Sigh....so I uninstalled Norton, and installed
> >Mcaffee. I did a scan and it found two viruses. Deleted those viruses. I
> >can't find a history in Mcafee so I forget what the names are. SO now I'm
> >running the Stinger app and probably won't have any luck, but is it possible
> >somehow my system files are corrupted somewhat and the only side effect is I
> >can't boot into safe mode? Or am I looking to far into this and the answer
> >is right under a mouse click. Thanks
> >

> Many possibilities given the information you have just posted.
>
> I would also suggest that you do a further virus scan with one of the
> free online virus scanning sites such as
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com
>
> Once you are satisfied that your machine is clean then open a DOS
> command prompt window and enter the following command:
>
> SFC /SCANNOW
>
> and see if that will correct the Safe Mode booting problem.
>
> Failing to boot in Safe Mode but booting okay in normal mode implies
> that at least one of the generic device drivers that are used in Safe
> Mode for video, hard drive, and other components has become corrupted
> in some way. SFC should find and fix this.
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Hi again...I just ran SFC /scannow. No screen came up but I had the disk in
the drive, so I got no pop-up asking for a cd. It appeared that nothing
happened when I ran SFC, but the process list displayed a lot of activity
under the name winlogon.exe I think this is normal, I can't remember.
Eventually the activity stopped and I was idle. I restarted the machine and
again, safe mode fails at the logon screen. Now, I have a second machine
with XP and all updates, can I copy the dllchache folder from the working pc
and paste it onto the one with the problem? Or is there something wrong with
sfc if no progress screen comes up? I'm stumped man.