Workstation VS Gaming

G

This is a topic I have researched over the last couple of months. I came to the conclusion that I am sure you all already know. There is no comparison. Its different technologies.
My dillema is. Where is the balance. If I want to be able to learn some of the basics in Autcad, and programs like Bryce, and I also want to be able to play Aquanox or MAxPayne or UT at desent performance. Which do AXe? or do I have too if Im only buying one card?
There isint any gaming cards out right now( that I have found) that support Open GL 1.2. A MUST for CAD and rendoring
If there is any CAD engineers out there, or people who have run into a similar dillema? Any impute would help.
I have read so many PDF files that IM at the end of my rope and NEED to buy a card
I guess what I am asking is. Is there an alternative to buying two expensive cards, if I want a desent Gaming system and workstation, in one
Thanks in advance for your insight. Im using this forum as a last point before I invest in one(or both) of my cards

G

Thanks for the info. Most of the comparisons I have seen, the r8500 has been a bit lower then the Gf 3.

Im mostly trying to find out if there is something out there that will offer high performance rendering with pixel and vertex shading using Open GL, and High frame rate gaming

I think there isint an answer yet though. No one has thought , or been able to combine the technologies. or needed to maybe?
If some one can prove that statement wrong please do. Im not just looking for CAD Pro's. Anyone with any small piece of info about Open GL, whatever. Its a topic worth discussing, considering this IS definable the future of ALL graphics as we know it

FatBurger

Illustrious
In strict Open GL, the Quadro would be your best bet (or a "Quadro'd" GF3), but if you're doing other stuff, go for a straight Ti500.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>