Need advice on setting up a Wireless Network

Hi group,
I am a newbee who wants to set up a wireless network. I have a desktop PC
with no network hard ware installed. I have just purchased a second hand
laptop which has a 10/100 Lan Card in it but I realise this will be useless.
My phone line (next to the PC) will be converted to asdl next week. I want
to share my internet connection with the 2 machines and would appreciate
advice on what equipment I need. My ISP has supplied me with anASDL modem.

Keep it simple please!!

Many thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about need advice setting wireless network

    Big Ron wrote:

    >Hi group,
    >I am a newbee who wants to set up a wireless network. I have a desktop PC
    >with no network hard ware installed. I have just purchased a second hand
    >laptop which has a 10/100 Lan Card in it but I realise this will be useless.
    >My phone line (next to the PC) will be converted to asdl next week. I want
    >to share my internet connection with the 2 machines and would appreciate
    >advice on what equipment I need. My ISP has supplied me with anASDL modem.
    >
    >Keep it simple please!!
    >
    >Many thanks

    Hard to say without knowing your equipment (ADSL modem).

    Generally, you need to connect your modem to a router/wirelessAP or a
    router with an AP plugged into the router.
    Then you need a wireless device for each computer -- there are USB
    devices, and devices installable in the computer. For the laptop, USB or
    a PCMCIA card.

    If your ADSL modem only has a USB connection (designed to connect to a
    computer), exchange it for an ethernet type).

    You will need the following:

    1. a desktop PC LAN Card or a Wireless desktop PC Card provided you
    have an available slot.
    2. a wireless Notebook card provided that you have an available card
    slot.
    3. A wireless cable/DSL broadband router with at least 4-ports.

    You will find various opinions regarding what brand to use. There are
    pros and cons for every brand. Many users who post negative equipment
    reviews are at fault for their equipment not working. They either
    fail to follow directions, read the manual or are in such a hurry that
    they forget the simple things like making sure the SSID matches. On
    the other hand, every manufacturer produces a lemon. Linksys, D-Link,
    Belkin, Netgear and Buffalo are arguably the most popular or should I
    say, most widely used brands. It's probably because they are plentiful
    at retailers such as Best Buy, Circuit City and CompUSA. I've tried
    Linksys, Netgear and Belkin products. Currently I use a Netgear
    WG511T notebook card, a Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless router as my access
    point as well as a Netgear WGR614 wireless router with the wireless
    portion disabled. They all work great together and I have no
    complaints. Whenever you do decide to go for it, please change the
    default settings including the default ip addresses and, by all means,
    enable encryption. Anyway, I hope this helps. Take care.

    On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 18:51:39 +0100, "Big Ron" <bigron5@ntlworld.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi group,
    >I am a newbee who wants to set up a wireless network. I have a desktop PC
    >with no network hard ware installed. I have just purchased a second hand
    >laptop which has a 10/100 Lan Card in it but I realise this will be useless.
    >My phone line (next to the PC) will be converted to asdl next week. I want
    >to share my internet connection with the 2 machines and would appreciate
    >advice on what equipment I need. My ISP has supplied me with anASDL modem.
    >
    >Keep it simple please!!
    >
    >Many thanks

    The computer next to the router need not have a wireless card. It could
    connect by a Cat 5 cable.

    It's always best to have one computer connected by wire. Router updates
    should only be done by a wired connection.

    "Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > You will need the following:
    >
    > 1. a desktop PC LAN Card or a Wireless desktop PC Card provided you
    > have an available slot.
    > 2. a wireless Notebook card provided that you have an available card
    > slot.
    > 3. A wireless cable/DSL broadband router with at least 4-ports.
    >
    > You will find various opinions regarding what brand to use. There are
    > pros and cons for every brand. Many users who post negative equipment
    > reviews are at fault for their equipment not working. They either
    > fail to follow directions, read the manual or are in such a hurry that
    > they forget the simple things like making sure the SSID matches. On
    > the other hand, every manufacturer produces a lemon. Linksys, D-Link,
    > Belkin, Netgear and Buffalo are arguably the most popular or should I
    > say, most widely used brands. It's probably because they are plentiful
    > at retailers such as Best Buy, Circuit City and CompUSA. I've tried
    > Linksys, Netgear and Belkin products. Currently I use a Netgear
    > WG511T notebook card, a Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless router as my access
    > point as well as a Netgear WGR614 wireless router with the wireless
    > portion disabled. They all work great together and I have no
    > complaints. Whenever you do decide to go for it, please change the
    > default settings including the default ip addresses and, by all means,
    > enable encryption. Anyway, I hope this helps. Take care.
    >

    > On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 18:51:39 +0100, "Big Ron" <bigron5@ntlworld.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi group,
    > >I am a newbee who wants to set up a wireless network. I have a desktop
    PC
    > >with no network hard ware installed. I have just purchased a second hand
    > >laptop which has a 10/100 Lan Card in it but I realise this will be
    useless.
    > >My phone line (next to the PC) will be converted to asdl next week. I
    want
    > >to share my internet connection with the 2 machines and would appreciate
    > >advice on what equipment I need. My ISP has supplied me with anASDL
    modem.

    > >Keep it simple please!!
    > >
    > >Many thanks

    Agreed. And on my SMC routers the login page does not use HTTPS, so I like
    to login from a wired computer.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    "Alan White" <alanwhite@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The computer next to the router need not have a wireless card. It could
    > connect by a Cat 5 cable.
    >
    > It's always best to have one computer connected by wire. Router updates
    > should only be done by a wired connection.
    >

    > "Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > You will need the following:
    > >
    > > 1. a desktop PC LAN Card or a Wireless desktop PC Card provided you
    > > have an available slot.
    > > 2. a wireless Notebook card provided that you have an available card
    > > slot.
    > > 3. A wireless cable/DSL broadband router with at least 4-ports.
    > >
    > > You will find various opinions regarding what brand to use. There are
    > > pros and cons for every brand. Many users who post negative equipment
    > > reviews are at fault for their equipment not working. They either
    > > fail to follow directions, read the manual or are in such a hurry that
    > > they forget the simple things like making sure the SSID matches. On
    > > the other hand, every manufacturer produces a lemon. Linksys, D-Link,
    > > Belkin, Netgear and Buffalo are arguably the most popular or should I
    > > say, most widely used brands. It's probably because they are plentiful
    > > at retailers such as Best Buy, Circuit City and CompUSA. I've tried
    > > Linksys, Netgear and Belkin products. Currently I use a Netgear
    > > WG511T notebook card, a Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless router as my access
    > > point as well as a Netgear WGR614 wireless router with the wireless
    > > portion disabled. They all work great together and I have no
    > > complaints. Whenever you do decide to go for it, please change the
    > > default settings including the default ip addresses and, by all means,
    > > enable encryption. Anyway, I hope this helps. Take care.
    > >

    > > On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 18:51:39 +0100, "Big Ron" <bigron5@ntlworld.com>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >Hi group,
    > > >I am a newbee who wants to set up a wireless network. I have a desktop
    > PC
    > > >with no network hard ware installed. I have just purchased a second
    hand
    > > >laptop which has a 10/100 Lan Card in it but I realise this will be
    > useless.
    > > >My phone line (next to the PC) will be converted to asdl next week. I
    > want
    > > >to share my internet connection with the 2 machines and would
    appreciate
    > > >advice on what equipment I need. My ISP has supplied me with anASDL
    > modem.
    > > >
    > > >Keep it simple please!!
    > > >
    > > >Many thanks

Wireless Network Internet Service Providers Wireless Networking