Need advice on setting up a Wireless Network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 3, 2004 10:51:39 PM

Hi group,
I am a newbee who wants to set up a wireless network. I have a desktop PC
with no network hard ware installed. I have just purchased a second hand
laptop which has a 10/100 Lan Card in it but I realise this will be useless.
My phone line (next to the PC) will be converted to asdl next week. I want
to share my internet connection with the 2 machines and would appreciate
advice on what equipment I need. My ISP has supplied me with anASDL modem.

Keep it simple please!!

Many thanks
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 10:51:40 PM

Big Ron wrote:

>Hi group,
>I am a newbee who wants to set up a wireless network. I have a desktop PC
>with no network hard ware installed. I have just purchased a second hand
>laptop which has a 10/100 Lan Card in it but I realise this will be useless.
>My phone line (next to the PC) will be converted to asdl next week. I want
>to share my internet connection with the 2 machines and would appreciate
>advice on what equipment I need. My ISP has supplied me with anASDL modem.
>
>Keep it simple please!!
>
>Many thanks

Hard to say without knowing your equipment (ADSL modem).

Generally, you need to connect your modem to a router/wirelessAP or a
router with an AP plugged into the router.
Then you need a wireless device for each computer -- there are USB
devices, and devices installable in the computer. For the laptop, USB or
a PCMCIA card.

If your ADSL modem only has a USB connection (designed to connect to a
computer), exchange it for an ethernet type).
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 1:18:13 AM

You will need the following:

1. a desktop PC LAN Card or a Wireless desktop PC Card provided you
have an available slot.
2. a wireless Notebook card provided that you have an available card
slot.
3. A wireless cable/DSL broadband router with at least 4-ports.

You will find various opinions regarding what brand to use. There are
pros and cons for every brand. Many users who post negative equipment
reviews are at fault for their equipment not working. They either
fail to follow directions, read the manual or are in such a hurry that
they forget the simple things like making sure the SSID matches. On
the other hand, every manufacturer produces a lemon. Linksys, D-Link,
Belkin, Netgear and Buffalo are arguably the most popular or should I
say, most widely used brands. It's probably because they are plentiful
at retailers such as Best Buy, Circuit City and CompUSA. I've tried
Linksys, Netgear and Belkin products. Currently I use a Netgear
WG511T notebook card, a Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless router as my access
point as well as a Netgear WGR614 wireless router with the wireless
portion disabled. They all work great together and I have no
complaints. Whenever you do decide to go for it, please change the
default settings including the default ip addresses and, by all means,
enable encryption. Anyway, I hope this helps. Take care.

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 18:51:39 +0100, "Big Ron" <bigron5@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>Hi group,
>I am a newbee who wants to set up a wireless network. I have a desktop PC
>with no network hard ware installed. I have just purchased a second hand
>laptop which has a 10/100 Lan Card in it but I realise this will be useless.
>My phone line (next to the PC) will be converted to asdl next week. I want
>to share my internet connection with the 2 machines and would appreciate
>advice on what equipment I need. My ISP has supplied me with anASDL modem.
>
>Keep it simple please!!
>
>Many thanks

June 4, 2004 10:55:40 AM

The computer next to the router need not have a wireless card. It could
connect by a Cat 5 cable.

It's always best to have one computer connected by wire. Router updates
should only be done by a wired connection.

"Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> You will need the following:
>
> 1. a desktop PC LAN Card or a Wireless desktop PC Card provided you
> have an available slot.
> 2. a wireless Notebook card provided that you have an available card
> slot.
> 3. A wireless cable/DSL broadband router with at least 4-ports.
>
> You will find various opinions regarding what brand to use. There are
> pros and cons for every brand. Many users who post negative equipment
> reviews are at fault for their equipment not working. They either
> fail to follow directions, read the manual or are in such a hurry that
> they forget the simple things like making sure the SSID matches. On
> the other hand, every manufacturer produces a lemon. Linksys, D-Link,
> Belkin, Netgear and Buffalo are arguably the most popular or should I
> say, most widely used brands. It's probably because they are plentiful
> at retailers such as Best Buy, Circuit City and CompUSA. I've tried
> Linksys, Netgear and Belkin products. Currently I use a Netgear
> WG511T notebook card, a Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless router as my access
> point as well as a Netgear WGR614 wireless router with the wireless
> portion disabled. They all work great together and I have no
> complaints. Whenever you do decide to go for it, please change the
> default settings including the default ip addresses and, by all means,
> enable encryption. Anyway, I hope this helps. Take care.
>

> On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 18:51:39 +0100, "Big Ron" <bigron5@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi group,
> >I am a newbee who wants to set up a wireless network. I have a desktop
PC
> >with no network hard ware installed. I have just purchased a second hand
> >laptop which has a 10/100 Lan Card in it but I realise this will be
useless.
> >My phone line (next to the PC) will be converted to asdl next week. I
want
> >to share my internet connection with the 2 machines and would appreciate
> >advice on what equipment I need. My ISP has supplied me with anASDL
modem.

> >Keep it simple please!!
> >
> >Many thanks

Anonymous
June 4, 2004 9:38:03 PM

Agreed. And on my SMC routers the login page does not use HTTPS, so I like
to login from a wired computer.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

!