Getting Asus drivers installed

eden

Champion
Yo guys, in WinXP it had installed the Det XP (technicians) drivers which I updated to 23.11. But I want to have the old Asus 21.83 instead cuz they have this neat power boost feature and much more options than stock Nvidia. How can I do all this?
The Nvidias drivers are in Add/Remove but what next?

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
hey, you got your video card in the end eden?
If you are running XP then don't bother with the Asus drivers because most of the features are not supported anyway. You don't get the turbo option or the smartdoctor. Try using nvidia's own drivers. I got much much better overclocking results with rivatuner on winxp and nvidia drivers. You might have problems in games with restarts. Try the 23.12 drivers. they seem to work for me without the problems.

what chipset do you have?

-- There are no answers to find in the bottom of a glass. But you can have fun looking for them.

eden

Champion
They have new drivers?
There are some games that have a few glitches like Project IGI, which clips a helicopter, and guns who don't show in the hand.
BTW I got the Pure one in the end.
Monkey I've been wanting to you, have you been playing Deathmatch Classic lately or a while ago? I recall seeing one and when I asked him if he was you at THG, he responded with swears, and I find that rather immature of him. If that was you I wonder why you said that, if not then sorry for the misunderstanding!

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

eden

Champion
They have new drivers?
There are some games that have a few glitches like Project IGI, which clips a helicopter, and guns who don't show in the hand.
BTW I got the Pure one in the end.
Monkey I've been wanting to you, have you been playing Deathmatch Classic lately or a while ago? I recall seeing one and when I asked him if he was you at THG, he responded with swears, and I find that rather immature of him. If that was you I wonder why you said that, if not then sorry for the misunderstanding!

Oh and I have the Via KT266A on Epox 8KHA+

--

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
wasn't me dude. Someone must have stolen my name and started dragging it through the mud.
us monkeyspanks are a varied breed. I like to think that I am the one with the charm and the looks.

sorry, i;m getting carried away. i wish i could sleep.
As for drivers.. there are new nvidia drivers out all the time. most of them are not 'released' officially.

the newest ones i've found are the <A HREF="http://www.3dchipset.com/drivers/beta/nvidia/2710/win-xp-2k.shtml" target="_new">27.10's</A>. I've not tried those ones yet. I've been using the <A HREF="http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail.php3?fid=957127915" target="_new">23.12's</A> cos they seem to work nicely for me. I've got the same motherboard as you so you might want to try them if you get any problems.

-- There are no answers to find in the bottom of a glass. But you can have fun looking for them.

eden

Champion
K thanks.
But why wouldn't the Boost feature not work? I mean what do you see when you go to it?

--

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
either it wasn't there, or the box was greyed out. I cant remember - i changed the drivers pretty much straight away. rivatuner will give you the potential to boost your card a lot more than that asus feature.

eden

Champion
Yo monkey, how much have you OCed your Ti200 with that prog? Was it on stock cooling or did you need additional? Did you run into any kind of problems including stability with such OC?
Also is Riva Tuner fully compatible with Det XP 23.11 and Windows XP itself? Where did you get it?

--

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
<A HREF="http://guru3d.com/rivatuner/" target="_new">rivatuner</A>
I got my ti200 to 240/500 (same as ti500). It's quite happy at that speed. Stable - no artifacts. Using the asus drivers previously, I could get it to 220/400.
Stock cooling.
I had no probs with rivatuner and windows XP and det 23.11. I did have a general issue with 23.11 where my pc would crash while playing games. This was not an overclocking issue. I fixed it with the 23.12 detonators which also gave me another 100 3dmarks.
<A HREF="http://service.madonion.com/servlet/Index?pageid=/orb/projectdetails&projectType=6&projectId=2528116" target="_new">my 3dmark 2001 score</A>

eden

Champion
Man your program rules!
Well I did the OC to 200/420, since I don't wanna go overboard and have some malfunctions...
I reran 3dMark 2001 and BOY!!! It jumped from 6292 to 6801! That's the average GF3 score under an AXP 1600!
I am so glad for this but I have worries:
First when you OC the card does the voltage go up? Should I worry over any kind of heat or electric problems or is such small OC not gonna do anything?

I'm still impressed that 25MHZ to core and 20MHZ memory added 500 3d Marks just like that! And even the tests looked smoother, especially the laggy 8 Light test (has anybody gotten it smooth or is it on purpose to be this laggy like 4 FPS?) and the Point Sprite looked more smooth.
That just saved me 200$ CDN for a GF3.

--

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
nice one. glad your pleased. it's not my program though.

Please dont take this as advice, it is just what i do. I dont want you ruining your new 'gf3' because of what some guy told you at toms.

I think overclocking a card is fine if you do it in small increments and test it well at each level.
If you dont get any crashes due to the card or any artifacts then you're probably ok. No doubt this will shorten the life span of your card but you are not gonna want a gf3 in like 3 years time so who cares?

the voltage going through your card won't go up. But it will get hotter. You need to mod your card to raise the voltage. If you are worried, try replacing the fan for a bigger, better one. This should keep your card cool and make it live longer. and it might let you clock your card further.

eden

Champion
Oh I wouldn't worry heat, I'm gonna add one or two case fans this weekend, cuz my Volcano 7 is running at full RPM due to high temps (it has the elusive Thermal Throttle Control) and adding case fans will do the right thing to lower that noise!!
I most likely would switch each 1 1\2 to 2 years to new cards, cuz it's likely they won't be used at max details in future games. That's sad but hey, if newer cards last longer now cuz of better technologies, then that's what we want!
As for you, you said you didn't have any heat or any problems since when?

--

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
I got an enermax psu which has two fans on it, one which takes heat from above processor, the other blows out.

I got one case fan blowing out the back. I dont bother with one blowing in. My case has inlets along the side at the bottom . I figure that the air will get in if it needs to. if you blow too much in, then it will not circulate all that well.

try a different combination of fans and use a monitoring app to see what works best, both idle and at the max load you might put it through (play your most intense game for 1/2 hour)

eden

Champion
Other than SmartDoctor which you say doesn't work, which apps do you know measure CPU, Video card temp and fan RPM without having to restart comp and check on POST screen?

--

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
sisoft sandra can measure cpu and mainboard temps and fan speeds. so can motherboard monitor.
Dont know about one for the vid card sorry.

TRENDING THREADS