Normal GeForce temps?

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
1. I've noticed that my Asus V7100 (GeF2 MX400) runs at a temperature of 57 deg. C with no load, and about 60 deg. under load. Is this normal? I've debated on whether to buy a nice beefy heatsing/fan for it...(Global Win), but would rather not because of the warranty.

May as well add this question:
2. I just added a ATA100 60GB IBM drive, but I had to buy the Ultra100Tx2 Promise PCI card because my 440BX won't support hardrives that large. My question is would it be unwise to overclock my FSB back to 112Mhz like I had it? My concern is that I could corrupt my drive if the card fails and that wouldn't be good considering it contains the active partition now.

This sucks because I dropped from 2550 pts in 3DMark2001 to 2000! I'm assuming the overclocking accounted for most of those points. The rest is probably because I'm not currently using the Det4 drivers.

Any advice guys?

BTW, I checked a friends GeForce card and hers is running at about 55 degrees C...so I'm thinking this is typical.

svol

Champion
Do you have enough airflow inside your case, otherwise all temps will be higher then you expect. I have an ASUS V7100 GeForce2 MX, I placed an old P75 fan on the heatsink and remounted my heatsink with Arctic Silver instead of the standard thermal paste. According to my DigiDoc the heatsink temp is 31C in Windows with IE and Winamp running, my card is overclocked to a GPU speed of 220 MHz.

You will have to try if your card can handle the higher PCI Bus speed (112/3=37.3 MHz which isn't that high).

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
How did you mount the fan? Just drilled holes into the existing heatsink? If I recall correctly, the stock heatsink/fan on the card has is mounted with spring-loaded type fasteners.

It could be an INTAKE problem...Maybe I should buy a fan for one of my 5.25" bays? What do you think?

Also, I did add a squirrel fan for exhaust. My case temps are around 30-32 deg. C I think. I'd rather buy a heatsink/fan combo that is guaranteed to fit my card.

Also, I do have a PCI slot open directly underneath the AGP slot...so I thought about getting one of those PCI mounted fans...like the dual fans made by GlobalWIN.

svol

Champion
I just used to screw to mount the fan to the heatsink, but I can't use my first PCI slot because the fan is in the way (luckly I don't need it).
If you have some Arctic Silver 2 remount the heatsink with that, it will increase heat conduction tremendously.
If your case has an intake hole in the bottom front, I think its best to get a 80mm fan for that. But your casetemps aren't that high.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
O.k. so your saying the fan fit onto the heatsink without the need to do any drilling. I'll see if I can do this.

I'll definitely go out tomorrow in search of Arctic silver. I don't believe my intake fan is an 80mm...I'll have to check on that. I'll try the arctic silver first, then the intake fan (if necessary), then the video chip heatsink/fan (if necessary)...I'll let you know how it pans out.

Thanks for the help! (going to sleep now...so I'll post tomorrow afternoon/evening).