Double click document when application already open does n..

I am a developer of an application. I am having trouble with openning a
document when the applicaation is already running.

When I double click a document file the application opens and the document
loads. I close the document but leave the application running. I then go to
the desktop and double click a different document, the application keeps
running but the document does not load. If I close the application and
double click the second document again, the application launches and the
document loads.

Is there anything different that happens when the application is launched
that does or does not happen when it is already active?

Other applications I have tried have no problem when I double click their
documents when their apllication is running.
--
Ron Lingl
Grabl Software

    You did not write the app code for CoCreateInstance(...) correctly

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Ron Lingl" <RonLingl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:088F352E-49FD-4952-95E0-F6843E3AE889@microsoft.com...
    >I am a developer of an application. I am having trouble with openning a
    > document when the applicaation is already running.
    >
    > When I double click a document file the application opens and the document
    > loads. I close the document but leave the application running. I then go to
    > the desktop and double click a different document, the application keeps
    > running but the document does not load. If I close the application and
    > double click the second document again, the application launches and the
    > document loads.
    >
    > Is there anything different that happens when the application is launched
    > that does or does not happen when it is already active?
    >
    > Other applications I have tried have no problem when I double click their
    > documents when their apllication is running.
    > --
    > Ron Lingl
    > Grabl Software

    Mark,

    Thanks for your reply.

    I am fairly new to Windows programming. I don't see a call in the code for
    CoCreateInstance, is this necessary? Can you give me a reference to some
    sample code I could use to help me understand?
    --
    Ron Lingl
    Grabl Software

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > You did not write the app code for CoCreateInstance(...) correctly
    >
    > --
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > "Ron Lingl" <RonLingl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:088F352E-49FD-4952-95E0-F6843E3AE889@microsoft.com...
    > >I am a developer of an application. I am having trouble with openning a
    > > document when the applicaation is already running.
    > >
    > > When I double click a document file the application opens and the document
    > > loads. I close the document but leave the application running. I then go to
    > > the desktop and double click a different document, the application keeps
    > > running but the document does not load. If I close the application and
    > > double click the second document again, the application launches and the
    > > document loads.
    > >
    > > Is there anything different that happens when the application is launched
    > > that does or does not happen when it is already active?
    > >
    > > Other applications I have tried have no problem when I double click their
    > > documents when their apllication is running.
    > > --
    > > Ron Lingl
    > > Grabl Software

    FIX: Interfaces Not Released by _com_ptr_t::CreateInstance():
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;200292

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Ron Lingl" <RonLingl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:743F9AEC-187E-46A6-AC89-9980E5678805@microsoft.com...
    > Mark,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > I am fairly new to Windows programming. I don't see a call in the code for
    > CoCreateInstance, is this necessary? Can you give me a reference to some
    > sample code I could use to help me understand?
    > --
    > Ron Lingl
    > Grabl Software
    >

    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    >> You did not write the app code for CoCreateInstance(...) correctly
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark L. Ferguson
    >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    >> "Ron Lingl" <RonLingl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:088F352E-49FD-4952-95E0-F6843E3AE889@microsoft.com...
    >> >I am a developer of an application. I am having trouble with openning a
    >> > document when the applicaation is already running.
    >> >
    >> > When I double click a document file the application opens and the document
    >> > loads. I close the document but leave the application running. I then go to
    >> > the desktop and double click a different document, the application keeps
    >> > running but the document does not load. If I close the application and
    >> > double click the second document again, the application launches and the
    >> > document loads.
    >> >
    >> > Is there anything different that happens when the application is launched
    >> > that does or does not happen when it is already active?
    >> >
    >> > Other applications I have tried have no problem when I double click their
    >> > documents when their apllication is running.
    >> > --
    >> > Ron Lingl
    >> > Grabl Software

    Mark,

    Thank you for the response.

    The article applies to Visual C++ 5.0. I have always been on at least VC
    C++ 6.0 and just recently moved to Visual Studio .NET 2003. I don't know
    what a smart pointer object is either.

    Just so you know, I launch the application and create a new document. Work
    on that the save and close that document but leave the application window
    open. I then go to a folder outside the application and double click a
    second document. That does not open in the application window.

    It sounds like you think it may be something that is not being released from
    the first document but I am not double clicking the first document. Are my
    suspecions correct?

    Regards,
    --
    Ron Lingl
    Grabl Software

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > FIX: Interfaces Not Released by _com_ptr_t::CreateInstance():
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;200292
    >

    > --
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > "Ron Lingl" <RonLingl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:743F9AEC-187E-46A6-AC89-9980E5678805@microsoft.com...
    > > Mark,
    > >
    > > Thanks for your reply.
    > >
    > > I am fairly new to Windows programming. I don't see a call in the code for
    > > CoCreateInstance, is this necessary? Can you give me a reference to some
    > > sample code I could use to help me understand?
    > > --
    > > Ron Lingl
    > > Grabl Software
    > >

    > > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    > >
    > >> You did not write the app code for CoCreateInstance(...) correctly
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Mark L. Ferguson
    > >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

Support Document Microsoft Windows XP