Hello all out there in the MS Windows jungle!

So I have finally upgraded from W2kPro to XPProSP2...

And I immediatelly falled into trouble with running my archaic DOS
C-cross-compiler icc6812... Under W2kPro it worked fine. Under XPProSP2
it for whichever reasons crashes with message "COMPILER OUT OF MEMORY
(Dynamic memory used 320000 bytes)".

It is clear that Microsoft "improved" something essential in the DOS
emulation (cmd.exe) which makes my old projects completely useless. But
who knows what? Or even more, who knows how to "get it back to worse"?

Please help, I tried all those compatibility settings, MEM command says
this to me:

655360 bajtů celkem konvenční pamÄ›ti
655360 bajtů volných pro systém MS-DOS
633072 maximální velikost spustitelného programu

1048576 bajtů celkem souvislé rozšíÅ™ené pamÄ›ti
0 bajtů volných souvislé rozšíÅ™ené pamÄ›ti
941056 bajtů volných v pamÄ›ti XMS
MS-DOS je rezidentní v oblasti horní pamÄ›ti

I need to compile all those old projects as it is my job.

Otherwise, I have to downgrade back to W2kPro... and ask Microsoftto
refund my money... whuph... sorry after a couple of nights ithout dream
of attempts to make it working I feel a bit angry...

Thank you all & best regards,

Jiri.

In lieu of running CMD, did you try running COMMAND ?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Maurice N ~ MVP napsal(a):
> In lieu of running CMD, did you try running COMMAND ?

Thank you for reminding me & sorry for not mentioning it in my original
message (I have probably tried plenty of things which I did not mention
in my original message as it would be merely endless): Yes, I tried
COMMAND as well. It was even worse:

.\..\CORE\BIN\as6812.exe -z -l -o startup.app

Exiting due to signal SIGSEGV
General Protection Fault at eip=0000a61f
eax=fffd0000 ebx=fffd0000 ecx=000002a4 edx=fffe0000 esi=0009e314
edi=00004010
ebp=000997dc esp=000997c8 program=.\..\CORE\BIN\as6812.exe
cs: sel=01a7 base=02a40000 limit=7d5affff
ds: sel=01af base=02a40000 limit=7d5affff
es: sel=01af base=02a40000 limit=7d5affff
fs: sel=017f base=000074c0 limit=0000ffff
gs: sel=01bf base=00000000 limit=0010ffff
ss: sel=01af base=02a40000 limit=7d5affff
App stack: [00099884..00019884] Exceptn stack: [000197e0..000178a0]

Call frame traceback EIPs:
0x0000a61f
0x0000dce4
0x0000a16a
0x00002367
0x00003ccd
0x00009d12

Please note that this time a different program crashes. In previous
message I was talking about the icc6811 (which is the C-cross-compiler)
but now it is as6812 (which is the assembler) and which WORKS ABSOLUTELY
FINE UNDER CMD BUT DOES NOT WORK AT ALL UNDER COMMAND. In other words,
this is another MS Windows mystery.

Any other ideas?

Thank you & best regards,

Jiri.

What are the contents of Autoexec.nt & Config.nt ?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Jiri Krivanek wrote:
> Maurice N ~ MVP napsal(a):
>> In lieu of running CMD, did you try running COMMAND ?
>>
> Thank you for reminding me & sorry for not mentioning it in my
> original message (I have probably tried plenty of things which I did
> not mention in my original message as it would be merely endless):
> Yes, I tried COMMAND as well. It was even worse:
>
> .\..\CORE\BIN\as6812.exe -z -l -o startup.app
>
> Exiting due to signal SIGSEGV
> General Protection Fault at eip=0000a61f
> eax=fffd0000 ebx=fffd0000 ecx=000002a4 edx=fffe0000 esi=0009e314
> edi=00004010
<snipped>

Maurice N ~ MVP napsal(a):
> What are the contents of Autoexec.nt & Config.nt ?

Autoexec.nt:

@echo off

REM AUTOEXEC.BAT nenˇ pou§it k inicializaci prostýedˇ MS-DOS.
REM AUTOEXEC.NT je pou§it k inicializaci prostýedˇ MS-DOS pokud
REM nenˇ urƒen jinÄ› spouçtŘcˇ soubor v souboru PIF aplikace.

REM Instalace rozçˇýenˇ CD-ROM
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

REM Install sˇśov‚ho pýesmŘrovaƒe (pýed programem dosx.exe)
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

REM Install DPMI support
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

REM Povolenˇ podpory Sound Blaster 2.0 v syst‚mu NTVDM.
REM Pýˇkaz pro nastavenˇ prostýedˇ Sound Blaster:
REM SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330
REM kde:
REM A urƒuje z kladnˇ V/V port Sound Blaster
REM I urƒuje Łroveĺ IRQ
REM D urƒuje kan l 8 bitov‚ho DMA
REM P urƒuje z kladnˇ V/V port MPU-401
REM T typ karty Sound Blaster
REM 1 - Sound Blaster 1.5
REM 2 - Sound Blaster Pro I
REM 3 - Sound Blaster 2.0
REM 4 - Sound Blaster Pro II
REM 6 - Sound Blaster 16/AWE 32/32/64
REM
REM neurƒen, bude pou§ita vÄ›chozˇ hodnota. (Pozn mka, jeliko§ jsou porty
REM virtualizovan‚, zde poskytnut‚ informace nemusˇ odpovˇdat skuteƒn‚mu
REM nastavenˇ hardwaru.) NTVDM podporuje pouze Sound Blaster 2.0.
REM Pýepˇnaƒ T musˇ bÄ›t nastaven na hodnotu 3, pokud je zad n.
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

REM Chcete-li zak zat podporu Sound Blaster 2.0 v NTVDM, zadejte
REM neplatnou adresu V/V portu. Napýˇklad:
REM SET BLASTER=A0

Config.nt:

REM Startovacˇ soubor prostýedˇ MS-DOS pro syst‚m Windows
REM
REM Rozdˇl mezi CONFIG.SYS a CONFIG.NT
REM CONFIG.SYS se k inicializaci prostýedˇ MS-DOS nepou§Ë‡v .
REM K inicializaci prostýedˇ MS-DOS se pou§Ë‡v CONFIG.NT, pokud nenˇ
REM specifikov n jinÄ› startovacˇ soubor v souboru PIF dan‚ aplikace.
REM
REM ECHOCONFIG
REM VÄ›chozˇm nastavenˇm MS-DOS je, §e se nezobrazujˇ § dn‚ Łdaje pýi
REM jeho inicializaci. K zobrazenˇ Łdaj… CONFIG.NT a AUTOEXEC.NT slou§Ë‡
REM pýˇkaz echoconfig v souboru CONFIG.NT ƒi jin‚m startovacˇho souboru.
REM
REM NTCMDPROMPT
REM Syst‚m Windows spustˇ COMMAND.COM v§dy po n vratu k pýˇkazov‚ ý dce
REM z TRS, nebo kdy§ je spuçtŘn aplikace MS-DOS. To umo§Äºuje programu
REM TSR, aby z…stal aktivnˇ. Ke spuçtŘnˇ pýˇkazov‚ ý dky CMD.EXE
REM (syst‚mu Windows) namˇsto COMMAND.COM slou§Ë‡ pýˇkaz ntcmdprompt
REM v souboru CONFIG.NT nebo jin‚m startovacˇm souboru.
REM
REM DOSONLY
REM StandardnŘ lze pod COMMAND.COM spustit jakěkoliv typ aplikace.
REM Pokud spustˇte aplikaci jinou, ne§ urƒenou pouze pro MS-DOS,
REM m…§e to naruçit spuçtŘn‚ programy TSR. K zajiçtŘnˇ spouçtŘnˇ
REM aplikacˇ urƒenÄ›ch pouze pro MS-DOS slou§Ë‡ pýˇkaz dosonly
REM v souboru CONFIG.NT nebo jin‚m startovacˇm souboru.
REM
REM EMM
REM Ke konfiguraci EMM (Expanded Memory Manager) slou§Ë‡ pýˇkaz EMM.
REM Syntaxe:
REM
REM EMM = [A=AltRegSets] [B=BaseSegment] [RAM]
REM
REM AltRegSets
REM urƒuje sumu sad alternativnˇch mapovacˇch register…,
REM kter‚ m syst‚m podporovat. 1 <= AltRegSets <= 255.
REM Věchozˇ hodnota je 8.
REM BaseSegment
REM urƒuje poƒ teƒnˇ adresu segmentu v konvenƒnˇ pamŘti DOS,
REM kterou m syst‚m alokovat pro r mce str nek EMM.
REM Hodnota musˇ bÄ›t zad na jako çestn ckov‚ ƒË‡slo.
REM 0x1000 <= BaseSegment <= 0x4000. Hodnota je zaokrouhlena
REM smŘrem dol… k hranici 16 kB. VÄ›chozˇ hodnota je 0x4000.
REM RAM
REM urƒuje, aby syst‚m alokoval pouze adresovÄ› prostor 64 kB
REM z oblasti UMB (Upper Memory Block) pro r mce str nek EMM,
REM a nechal ostatnˇ prostor (pokud zbyde) pro DOS na podporu
REM pýˇkaz… loadhigh a devicehigh. System standardnŘ alokuje
REM vçechny bloky UMB, jsoucˇ k dispozici, pro r mce str nek.
REM
REM Velikost EMM je urƒena souborem pif (buÔ asociovan‚ho s danou
REM aplikacˇ nebo _default.pif). Pokud je velikost ze souboru PIF
REM nulov , bude EMM deaktivov n a ý dka EMM ignorov na.
REM
dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=40

Jiri,

Your Autoexec.nt & Config.nt are ok. I may suggest you add a @Path statement in the Autoexec.nt just to see if it helps.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Maurice N ~ MVP napsal(a):
> Jiri,
>
> Your Autoexec.nt & Config.nt are ok. I may suggest you add a @Path statement in the Autoexec.nt just to see if it helps.
Maurice,

I am not sure what particularly you meant with adding @Path to autoexec.nt.

If I started cmd.exe and typed "path<enter>" then I received this response:
"PATH=C:\Program Files\Borland\Delphi7\Bin;C:\Program
Files\Borland\Delphi7\Projects\Bpl\;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program
Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel;C:\Program Files\RemObjects
Software\Pascal Script for Delphi\Dcu\D7;c:\python24"

Then I added the following line into my autoexec.nt (I simply taken a
copy from the system dialog):
"SET PATH=C:\Program Files\Borland\Delphi7\Bin;C:\Program
Files\Borland\Delphi7\Projects\Bpl\;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program
Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel;C:\Program Files\RemObjects
Software\Pascal Script for Delphi\Dcu\D7;c:\python24"

Now, if I started cmd.exe and typed "path<enter>" again then I received
the same response. And the cross-compiling failed again - with exactly
the same error message...

Finally I removed the "SET PATH=..." statement from my autoexec.nt (thus
it got back to the original - install default - content).

I also tried to use the autoexec.nt and config.nt files from a few
"working" W2kPro installations on my "useless" XpProSp2 installation...
It also did not help.

But I discovered a "side-step-like" solution: I installed the VMWare and
I am using the XpProSp2 for editing the sources and the virtually
running W2kPro for compiling the sources... Would you say what kind of
nonsenses the Microsoft Windows operating systems make people to do???

I will appreciate any other ideas.

Thank you for your support & best regards,

Jiri.

In my case the problem was the length of the path environment variable.