something is wrong here

G

Just got a new video card.

my computer comes out to
666 celeron on ASUS motherboard/VIA chipset
128mb ram
64mb DDR Gainward GF2 Ti 450
running 2x AGP, normal clock speed, normal memory speed etc.
Windows 98, newest VIA 4 in 1 drivers, newest Nvidia drivers

yet i'm only getting like 40 fps in HL at 1024x768 and Medal of Honor is completely unplayable. This does not seem right at all. What numbers SHOULD i be getting, and what could possibly be the problem?

I thought i posted this just a couple minutes ago, but now it disappeared. it'll probably reappear as soon as i post this, so if it does, sorry about the repost.

lobley

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
Try setting it down to 1x AGP (or turn 2x agp off)

and when you install the 4in1 drivers and it askes you if you want to install the agp vxd in turbo mode or normal mode, pick *normal mode!*

Sounds unlikely, but that should improve performance.

bluzbrother

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
what settings in the game have you optimized? I know MOH is a very demanding game. My friend has a PIII 800, w/ 256mb SDRAM and a Geforce2 GTS... after running MOH he's now considering upgrading. Heck the game suggests at least a 800mhz CPU and I'm sure a Geforce 2 Ti is only going to be adequate for anything above 1024x768. You're going to have to work on getting the best settings because you're handicapped by your hardware. Don't get me wrong a Geforce2 is an excellent card, it's just not high performance anymore... and a Voodoo3 is virtually obsolete. Plus it really hurts you that you're running a Celeron.

AOL-For people who like to pay extra for their SPAM

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's the Celeron. It has three deficiencies. The one you might be able to fix is the bus speed. By increasing the bus speed to 100MHz, your memory performance will improve dramatically, and your CPU speed will be 950MHz. Both will benefit your game playing.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

40fps is HL is too loww for your machine..
Are u sure Anti Aliasing is off ?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It's because you only have 128mb of RAM. The 2x.xx detonators (and some of the later 1x.xx drivers) use lots of system memory. In a low memory system try the lower numbered 1x.xx drivers instead. I forget which ones were the best. (but I remember 14.10 is buggy).

Setting AGP Aperture to 32mb will help a little.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 01/28/02 05:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

is there a good site where I can get old versions of the detonator drivers?

also, how would I go about changing the bus speed to 100mhz, and would I need to buy any extra fans or anything like that in order to keep it from frying?

thanks a lot, i'll try all this stuff.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
You would need extra cooling, so get some fans, and slap em on. As for the drivers- NVidia's site has an archive, just go to drivers, and whatever os, then u will see, in small letters driver archive. Also, consider getting more RAM.

Only if you let me see the Umpa Lumpa- Homer Simpson.

G

Yeah, I'm running on a PII-350 with 128 MB of PC 100 RAM and a V3 3000 PCI and I usually get around 70 fps at 1024x768 in CS. I just checked a screenshot I posted some time ago (as a random sample) and it reads 68.3 (http://www.maudlinboofcouncil.com/lite/html/poa.htm). Don't know what could be wrong, though.