Laptops power supply interfiers with modem?

My wives laptop doesn't connect to the web very frequently. When not in use
it's power supply remains plugged in so as to save the battery. I have
noticed that if we try to connect to the web with the power supply plugged
in there is a shrieking sound coming from modem & we can't connect. Each
time we connect now we have to unplug before we connect. As idea as to
whets the problem?

--
Thanks in advance
2 answers Last reply

    Sound like interference and may be a hardware problem.

    Also, is there only one phone jack for the modem (at the laptop) or are
    there two?

    Yves Leclerc wrote:
    > Sound like interference and may be a hardware problem.
    >
    > Also, is there only one phone jack for the modem (at the laptop) or are
    > there two?
    >

    > "The End" <notathome@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    >
    >>My wives laptop doesn't connect to the web very frequently. When not in
    >>use it's power supply remains plugged in so as to save the battery. I
    >>have noticed that if we try to connect to the web with the power supply
    >>plugged in there is a shrieking sound coming from modem & we can't
    >>connect. Each time we connect now we have to unplug before we connect.
    >>As idea as to whets the problem?
    >>
    >>--
    >>Thanks in advance
    >>

    > The modem is internal & doesn't have a jack.

Laptops Connection Power Supplies Windows XP