Windows Networking with XP Pro

August 31, 2005 8:09:59 PM

I have four units in a workgroup. All have SFF disabled. All have their
firewalls disabled. All drives are NTFS. I can connect to two of the three
of the four computers which includes my own. The fourth I'm unable to.
When I attempt to connect to the share, it prompts me for a user name and
password. On this specific computer the Guest account is disabled. Once I
enable the Guest account and I attempt to connect to the share it says I
don't have the proper permissions.

Every other computer I'm able to connect without being prompted with a
dialog box asking for a user name and password. Why is this?

More about : windows networking pro

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 8:21:02 AM

Hello Nocturnal,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, in a workgroup network environment, you can not access a
specific Windows XP machine. First, please tell me what is the exact OS
(Windows XP Pro or Home with SP1 or SP2) on the problematic machine?

For this issue, I'd like to provide the following suggestions to test:

Suggestion1.
--------------------------
Please disable or uninstall any firewall programs on the machine.

Suggestion2.
--------------------------
Please help me confirm the situation:
The computer can ping other computers in the same workgroup. Also, other
computers in the same workgroup can ping this computer.

Suggestion3.
--------------------------
Please make sure that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is turned on the machine.
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Network and Internet
Connections.
2. Click Network Connections.
3. Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
4. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
5. Click the General tab, and then click Advanced.
6. Click the WINS tab.
7. Under NetBIOS setting, click Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, and then click
OK two times.
8. Click Close to close the Local Area Connection Properties dialog box.
9. Close the Network Connections window.

Suggestion4.
--------------------------
Please make sure that the Computer Browser service is running on the
computer.
1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
2. Double-click Services and Applications.
3. Double-click Services.
4. In the right pane, right-click Computer Browser, and then click Start.
5. Close the Computer Management window.

Suggestion5.
--------------------------
If the machine is running Windows XP Pro, please turn Simple File Sharing
on.
1. Double-click My Computer on the desktop.
2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
3. Click the View tab, and then select the Use Simple File Sharing
(Recommended) check box to turn on Simple File Sharing. (Clear this check
box to turn off this feature.)

Suggestion6.
--------------------------
I found the following article that should be helpful. Please try the
resolution mentioned in the article.
903267: You cannot view other workgroup computers on the network on a
Windows XP-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;903267

Hope the suggestions help!

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Newsgroup Web Interface Upgrade
Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to the
Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the secure
code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
after which you will need to update your registration by entering the new
secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups. Please
update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
will redirect until November 1, 2005.
Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
information, please go to:
https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/r...
4662

!