Ti-500 and A7V266-E board

G

I recently bought the Visiontek Gforce 3 Ti-500 to replace my old 3D Prophet Gforce DDR-DVI card. I'm running the Asus A7V266-E with the Athlon 1600XP and WinXP.

The problem is when I do a clean install of WinXP with the Ti-500 card installed, the WinXP setup screen would appear and then disappear. The cdrom is being accessed and setup files are being loaded in. The computer is working normal. It's just that I have no video. So I shut down, removed the Ti-500 and put back in the old 3D Prophet card. Turned the pc on and the WinXP setup screen did not blank out. I was able to finish the installation of WinXP.
After that, I put the Ti-500 card in and it works great in WinXP.

Why does the Ti-500 card do this and not the 3D Prophet card? I already updated the A7V266-E bios. This problem even occured before I updated the bios. My clean install would involve reformatting the hard drive and booting up from the cdrom with the WinXP disk in it. If the Gforce 3 is problematic, then I guess I'll move over to ATI. But I like the Gforce.

G

It has to be a problem with Windows XP, because I have the same setup and while I don't use XP (Win98SE), I've never experienced a problem like that. If it isn't a hardware issue (and it's not), then it has to be the installation program going psycho. HOWEVER, you could have tried to set the motherboard BIOS to AGP/PCI instead of the default PCI/AGP. That tells the hardware which video card to use first in case you have two, however there used to be an issue if it wasn't set to AGP/PCI and I've just always done it that way.

Ron