nvidia cards/drivers cause random resets!?!?!

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
have no idea what to do. I've built about 6-7 computers, and the only one that is stable is one without an nvidia graphics card, but a kyro 2 card. I thought it was the nvidia drivers, because that seems to be the only variable, but the problem is no matter what driver version I have, the random reset is still there. I've tried the WHQL 21.83s, the 23.11s and the new beta 27.10 drivers, but still sudden and totally random reboots occur regardless of overclocking or not. Usually the sudden reboots are at least 10-12 hours apart. I don't know how to find out what happened after the computer reboots or any error log or anything, anyone know somethin I could use/do?

I have heard of at least 5 people having this problem, but no one has been able to figure out why it is happening or how to stop it. some said it was the nvidia driver helper service, some said the 23.11 drivers, but it has been my experience that it doesn't matter and that is not the problem. can anyone help me figure out why this is happening?

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
Well, the 21.83s WHQL gave me random resets, same with 23.11s , and so did the 27.10s, but...
So far I have gone the longest ever with the 27.20 drivers. I am scared to say it is fixed, but I have not had one random reset in over a day.

The every driver is 27.20 except the nvdesk32.dll, which is a 23.11 driver. And the nvidia driver helper service is on.

So far I am pretty happy as it seems my problems may be gone, but we'll see.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm curious as to why the 23.11 drivers do this. What is your hardware configuration? In particular what motherboard/chipset do you have?

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
It has done it (everything latest bios, drivers... ect.) on the k7s5a board (sis735), an 8kha+ (kt266a) board, and the nforce board. When I installed the whql drivers (23.10) for the nforce it stopped randomly resetting and just gave me random blue screens, but with the 27.20 drivers, the nvdesk32.dll 23.11 driver file and the nvidia driver helper service on, I have not had a single problem on any computer!!!!

This is really great, because I really had no idea how long it was going to take nvidia to fix the problem. I am pretty positive it is fixed now, but only time wil really tell.

G

Please review the pages that i have writen in this forum ! i have had the same problems ! , I am building a up-to date RIG (after finale getting rid of my backard bell 1999 400mhx 64ram pc100fbs gir)& thinking of g

linux has got to be better !

G

Please read the review's in these pages that i have writen in this forum ! i have had the same problems ! , I am building a up-to date RIG (after finale getting rid of my backard bell 1999 400mhx 64ram pc100fbs gir)& thinking of getting a GIGABYTE ATX SOCK-A VIA-KT133 GA-7ZXR motherboard , does anyone know of "ANY" problems useing the NVIDIA RIVA M64 32mb card with this motherboard ?

if so PLEASE let me know !

Thanks !

(ps : i hope that you get the problem sotred, coz i know what this is like !)

linux has got to be better !

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
I believe it is the memory.

this is my current problem

I built 4 computers that were randomly resetting.

one had a bad stick of crucial pc2100 ram that got over 500,000 errors in memtest86

The nforce one reset until it got the new nforce drivers

and the other two get 1 memtest86 error.

The 8kha+ (1/16/02 bios) with an athlonxp 1800+ cpu, enermax psu, and crucial ram ALWAYS has a memory error at Address 00000410 with ALL 3 sticks of ram. It doesn't matter if it is overclocked or not, or if there is 1 2 or 3 sticks, no matter what, in test 4 or 7, I always get an error at fail address 00000410.

WHY!?!??! Is my 8kha+ board crap? Is it the CPU? The ram has to be good, or I wouldn't get the same fail address every single time with every single stick of ram.

AND why does the k7s5a get a memtest86 error? wtf? I am still testing it though, so I'll tell you more bout that board later.