I have several adobe reader (.pdf files). In some of the files, windows
search utility
(and also adobe reader search utility) cannot find a single words in the
files, even though the word/s are there.

Mott,

See if the installation of Adobe PDF IFilter v5.0 fixes the problem.
Download it from:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=1&platform=Windows

Third-party search tools:

iSleuthHound Technologies - Desktop Search Tool, Corporate and Desktop
Search Tools, Intranet Search Tools. Free Software Download, find pdf mp3
html Excel Zip Outlook Email doc MHT ppt plug-in.:
http://www.isleuthhound.com/

Agent Ransack - home:
http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

--