XP startup - Desktop not immediate

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
I'm sure that I forgot a basic setting. I have XP Pro machines set to go straight to the desktop. I just did a new install. It consistantly goes to a login screen where I have to click my user ID to get to the desktop. I am the only user of the PC. Access limits are NOT an issue.

Please advise me what it is that I forgot to set so the PC goes straight to the destop instead of a screen that I have to click my icon to get to the desktop.

TIA

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...

<A HREF="http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=510E6639-84A1-465D-A914-07BDB039E379" target="_new">Join the THG Team.</A>

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Try going into Control Panel > User Accounts > Change the way users log on or off > Toggle the "Use the welcome screen" feature. See if that solves your problem.

G

Click start/run, then type "control userpasswords2". Highlight your user name and uncheck the box that says "users must enter a user name and password to use this computer", click apply. Another box will open for you to enter your password if you use one, if you don't, just click OK. When you restart, it will go straight to your desktop.

If you've done all the Windows updates, there will be another user account that doesn't show up on the Welcome screen. It's called ASP.Net and you'll find it in the User list under the Control Panel. Simply delete this account, and you'll go straight to the desktop without having to click your name at the Welcome screen.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
Thanks guys. All your posts were useful.

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...

<A HREF="http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=510E6639-84A1-465D-A914-07BDB039E379" target="_new">Join the THG Team.</A>