Editing registry in recovery console?

I was clearing the Aurora adware out of a user's computer and it took the
userinit.exe registry entry with it. Now whenever I try to logon to Windows
XP it immediately logs me back out to the Welcome screen.

I need to put the Userinit value back into the
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon registry key, but
can't figure out any way to do that without access to the Windows regedit.exe.
In a possibly unrelated problem, I'm not able to remotely access the machine
either and I don't think it's set up for remote registry services; at least,
I wasn't able to get into it over the network on my machines own regedit (nor
am I able to do any sort of remote access, the machine immediately closes any
connection I establish). All of this just means that I can't make this very
simple and easy fix through the methods I'd normally use.

My question is if there's a way to manually add values to the registry
through the recovery console, or if there's some bootable utility out there
which would let me do that.
5 answers Last reply
More about editing registry recovery console

    Maybe something here will help..
    See section "Unable to logon to Windows after removing BlazeFind using a
    spyware removal utility? " here:
    http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm

    "A51" <A51@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I was clearing the Aurora adware out of a user's computer and it took the
    > userinit.exe registry entry with it. Now whenever I try to logon to
    > Windows
    > XP it immediately logs me back out to the Welcome screen.
    >
    > I need to put the Userinit value back into the
    > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon registry key,
    > but
    > can't figure out any way to do that without access to the Windows
    > regedit.exe.
    > In a possibly unrelated problem, I'm not able to remotely access the
    > machine
    > either and I don't think it's set up for remote registry services; at
    > least,
    > I wasn't able to get into it over the network on my machines own regedit
    > (nor
    > am I able to do any sort of remote access, the machine immediately closes
    > any
    > connection I establish). All of this just means that I can't make this
    > very
    > simple and easy fix through the methods I'd normally use.
    >
    > My question is if there's a way to manually add values to the registry
    > through the recovery console, or if there's some bootable utility out
    > there
    > which would let me do that.

    Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately in my case it's a matter of the
    entire registry value being missing, rather than simply pointing to an .exe
    which no longer exists.

    "Ricky" wrote:

    > Maybe something here will help..
    > See section "Unable to logon to Windows after removing BlazeFind using a
    > spyware removal utility? " here:
    > http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm

    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately in my case it's a matter of the
    registry value being missing completely, rather than it pointing to an .exe
    which doesn't exist anymore.

    ---

    "Ricky" wrote:

    > Maybe something here will help..
    > See section "Unable to logon to Windows after removing BlazeFind using a
    > spyware removal utility? " here:
    > http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm

    I was able to get the registry fix I needed in using this utility:

    The commands were a little tricky to figure out the syntax at first but once
    I got that down the machine was back up and running in no time.

    My next step would have been to try Bart PE with this plugin:

    https://sourceforge.net/projects/regeditpe/

    Hope this helps anyone who finds this post in the future.

    Take the file to another computer.

    "A51" <A51@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9E1D6453-5DE7-4C3E-9776-D460746DC4EB@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately in my case it's a matter of the
    > registry value being missing completely, rather than it pointing to an ..exe
    > which doesn't exist anymore.
    >

    > ---
    >
    > "Ricky" wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe something here will help..
    >> See section "Unable to logon to Windows after removing BlazeFind using a
    >> spyware removal utility? " here:
    >> http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm

Registry Recovery Console Microsoft Windows XP