Editing registry in recovery console?

I was clearing the Aurora adware out of a user's computer and it took the
userinit.exe registry entry with it. Now whenever I try to logon to Windows
XP it immediately logs me back out to the Welcome screen.

I need to put the Userinit value back into the
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon registry key, but
can't figure out any way to do that without access to the Windows regedit.exe.
In a possibly unrelated problem, I'm not able to remotely access the machine
either and I don't think it's set up for remote registry services; at least,
I wasn't able to get into it over the network on my machines own regedit (nor
am I able to do any sort of remote access, the machine immediately closes any
connection I establish). All of this just means that I can't make this very
simple and easy fix through the methods I'd normally use.

My question is if there's a way to manually add values to the registry
through the recovery console, or if there's some bootable utility out there
which would let me do that.

Ricky

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003

Maybe something here will help..
See section "Unable to logon to Windows after removing BlazeFind using a
spyware removal utility? " here:
http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm

"A51" <A51@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was clearing the Aurora adware out of a user's computer and it took the
> userinit.exe registry entry with it. Now whenever I try to logon to
> Windows
> XP it immediately logs me back out to the Welcome screen.
>
> I need to put the Userinit value back into the
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon registry key,
> but
> can't figure out any way to do that without access to the Windows
> regedit.exe.
> In a possibly unrelated problem, I'm not able to remotely access the
> machine
> either and I don't think it's set up for remote registry services; at
> least,
> I wasn't able to get into it over the network on my machines own regedit
> (nor
> am I able to do any sort of remote access, the machine immediately closes
> any
> connection I establish). All of this just means that I can't make this
> very
> simple and easy fix through the methods I'd normally use.
>
> My question is if there's a way to manually add values to the registry
> through the recovery console, or if there's some bootable utility out
> there
> which would let me do that.

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately in my case it's a matter of the
entire registry value being missing, rather than simply pointing to an .exe
which no longer exists.

"Ricky" wrote:

> Maybe something here will help..
> See section "Unable to logon to Windows after removing BlazeFind using a
> spyware removal utility? " here:
> http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately in my case it's a matter of the
registry value being missing completely, rather than it pointing to an .exe
which doesn't exist anymore.

---

"Ricky" wrote:

> Maybe something here will help..
> See section "Unable to logon to Windows after removing BlazeFind using a
> spyware removal utility? " here:
> http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm

I was able to get the registry fix I needed in using this utility:

The commands were a little tricky to figure out the syntax at first but once
I got that down the machine was back up and running in no time.

My next step would have been to try Bart PE with this plugin:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/regeditpe/

Hope this helps anyone who finds this post in the future.

Take the file to another computer.