Geforce4...not that impresive...

varlo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
I just received the specks for the upcoming Geforce4 from MSI...i got to admit i am disapointed...

Model :
G4MX440-VTP ,GPU 270Mhz ,MEM 400Mhz ,64Mb DDR ,128bit ,4ns Mem. type...Dual,Tvout,Video in...The G4MX440-T is the same but only Tvout.

G4MX420-T ,GPU 250Mhz ,MEM 166Mhz ,64Mb Sdram ,128bit ,5ns Mem. type ,whit Tv-out

Dont get me wrong this looks like a real fast card but i exepted so mutch more...Can't wait to see the price tag...

Sorry for my spelling I'm french...hey I ain't perfect!

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Looks like the MX versions

Asus offerings
V8460 Ultra 330MHz GeForce4 Ti 4600 128MB 660MHz DDR
V8440 300MHz GeForce4 Ti 4400 128MB 500MHz DDR
V8170 Pro 300MHz GeForce4 MX Pro 64MB 500MHz DDR
V8170 DDR 270MHz GeForce4 MX DDR 64MB 400MHz DDR
V8170 SE 250MHz GeForce4 MX SDR 64MB 166MHz SDRAM

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The MX versions won't be interesting as they are handicapped GeForce3s. GF4Tis will be great cards however.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
I especially like the incredibly crappy framerates Apple posts for Q3.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

varlo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
I'm not saying that it's bad,just that i was expecting a lot more...at least 128Mb DDR, 3.8Ns mem type,also i was hoping for a 300/500Mhz combo.I know it's only MX but if you compare whit the past when TNT2Ultra was replaced whit the MX as top of the line, the performances differance was hudge compare to GF3 and GF4MX differances.

eden

Champion
All right that does it, HOW IN THE WORLD could you guys take those facts to be true?
I mean even the GF3 was not predicted to have more versions until Q3 01 when they announced the TIs! I checked Asus and nothing of GF4s. It think we are talking too much bull for now and over or under hyping this card. Please leave rumors away for now.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

varlo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
Eden...i SELL MSI i have their road maps i even can give you the p/n they will carry.
Just to let you in on a little secret,...i am a distributor , i know the upcoming dates for a lot of products lunchs that you guys probably think as rumors.

The Geforce4 WILL be available in mid-feb(that is only 2 weeks)

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Actually before even the GF3 was released, I had information of at least 3 different "flavours" of the chip i.e. mx, normal and ultra; released in a short period from one another. Obviously the info was somewhat wrong regarding the timing and the names. But, whats in a name? Also, the fact that nVidia expanded to a broader market, which in turn effeted their progress in the graphics market.

I had no idea they'd do what they did with the Titanium series. Obvioulsy the Ti500 and the 200 use the normal GF3 chip. But I was aware of the nv17 and the nv25 for quite some time. I knew some info about their mobile and integrated plans for the nv17. I had some doubts, as did others, about whether the nv25 would materialise, where I now stand corrected.

There have been lots of rhumours, but the ones going round now should be more or less spot on. But hey, I could be wrong again. ;-)

<font color=red><i>I refugee from Guatanamo Bay,
dance around the border like I'm Cassius Clay
</i></font color=red>

eden

Champion
Heh didn't think the NDA would be violated unless it's a different law system to you!
It could be true what you're saying but to me, it's not fully true until Nvidia says it. Sure we may know we had an MX GF3, but then it became Ti, and it had some differences in design and technology too. The point is, that speaking just like that without Nvidia officially detailing their next wonder, is just not true hype. Not to mention so many options of GF4s, you can't help but wonder which one is the choice to have, other than crap MXs!
I'm eager to hear 'bout these cards, but they came too early and the GF3 line IMO needs more to develop and allow programmers to go further and optimize games for it, now it's a rush for new cards and HIGHER prices!
The MX had better be somewhere around 300$ CDN or it's too much for nothing.

PS: And besides: MX420 has SDRAM and 166MHZ??? What is that, a Geforce 2 Pro??? This is way off hand for a new card, way worse than GF2 MXs' relative performance.
Also what about new technology? Usually THG woulda spoken about its specs, dedicated their time making a huge article like what they did to the GF3 before it came out months later. There is nothing announced, nothing new? If at 166MHZ there is no Hyper Memory Controller of that sort, then in no way would the performance be worth a dime.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Agreed, it doesn't seem like the GeForce4 will bring anything revolutionary, unlike the GeForce3 which brought a programmable T&L engine and programmable pixel/vertex shaders. But then again, a speed boost is nothing to cry about.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

eden

Champion
But then again they'd have named it another GF3 wouldn't they?

--

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
The TI series of G3s didnt bring anything revolutionary either. Just a hurried rush to stem the 8500 sucess.

I think between the TI series and the new G4 series NV might finally put to rest fears of the 8500 as its been the dominant card in most opinions (that didnt spend $500 on a G3 or TI500 then people defend the card based on the fact they were hoping that much money was automatically the better buy)for this generation.

I assume G4 will have pixel shader 1.4 like 8500 now, I'm buying a 8500 as a replacement to my GTS on G4 launch unless the G4MX is as cheap and faster.

"dude your getting a dell", is that kid trying to say he wants to stick his 'dell' in you?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The TI series of G3s didnt bring anything revolutionary either. Just a hurried rush to stem the 8500 sucess.

I think between the TI series and the new G4 series NV might finally put to rest fears of the 8500 as its been the dominant card in most opinions (that didnt spend $500 on a G3 or TI500 then people defend the card based on the fact they were hoping that much money was automatically the better buy)for this generation.

I assume G4 will have pixel shader 1.4 like 8500 now, I'm buying a 8500 as a replacement to my GTS on G4 launch unless the G4MX is as cheap and faster.
Yes, the GF3Tis didn't bring anything new but I was referring to the original GF3 vs. the GF2. I sincerely doubt the GF4MX will be faster than a GF3Ti200 or Radeon 8500. The GF4MX is a downgrade from the GF3 not an upgrade, so how can it be faster?

varlo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
Heh didn't think the NDA would be violated unless it's a different law system to you!
The date that ended the non disclosure whit MSI was yesterday....and i had these specks for some time now.

it's not fully true until Nvidia says it...
I mention MSI,NOT Nvidia.
If you dont beleive these specks i dont care about it,you'll see for yourself.

The reason i did this post is because i was wandering if i was the only one disapointed,ok there only MXs but still...

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I was not aware a G4MX was a downgrade from GF3, thank you.

Looks like I'm going to be a 8500 owner than because I'm not paying the money they are going to want for the cards above the MX version.

With the hardware the 8500 has and now with good drivers the 8.5k was odviously the most future proof card and best performance for the money.
But if the GF4MX is DX9 hardware it'd be a hard decision.

I wonder how much a 8500 will be at GF4 release, its at $166 now!

"dude your getting a dell", is that kid trying to say he wants to stick his 'dell' in you?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
$166 for a retail Radeon 8500? Impossible! I doubt you'll find it anywhere for under ~$200. I don't think any of the GF4 cards will be DX9 cards. They are probably all DX8.1 cards. The GF4Ti will probably be merely a souped up GF3Ti with extra RAM, faster clock speed/memory speed, and an extra pixel shader or so.

eden

Champion
I still find this rather disappointing, and indeed sounds like a rushed product (Intel anyone?). I hope and do hope they will have more than what these specs by varlo said. It would be a waste of even calling it GF4. Maybe it's a 2-generation by 2 jump that makes the better cards, like GF1 being extremly good, then GF3 too, but GF2s were laggins somewhat. So GF4 will also not be the milestone until GF5. Who knows? Who cares?

--

evil_homer

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
All I can say is that I'm going to wait until I see some bechmarks before i cast my opinion. Even specs true or not can be missleading. Just remember that Intel's P4 chips are clocked higher, but we all know that don't mean much.

Keyboard not found press F5 to continue

FatBurger

Illustrious
No it's not. It's $179 <A HREF="http://www.enetshoponline.com/atirad85ddr6.html" target="_new">here</A>, but it's a Powercolor version (in other words, OEM and clocked lower). The cheapest listed on PriceWatch is $235, although I found it for $219 at one store.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
oh those cards suck then. they are really getting smacked around by ati these days.

oem 8500 at enpc.com, i didnt say retail, i never buy retail when you can get oem and clock it at retail.

my gts is a visiontek gts-v which i 'overclocked' at 200/333, in fact i havent heard of a single case where a GTS-V didnt clock to stock gts speeds.

varlo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
it's a Powercolor version (in other words, OEM and clocked lower).
Actualy the <A HREF="http://www.power-color.com/html/ati7500.html" target="_new"> PowerColor </A>is not that bad of a OEM version of ATI.