Game like "hacking simulation"

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

Hello!

Once, on my TI-89 calculator, I had a game which was a "hacking
simulation": you started with a basic computer system (terminal +
2400bps modem) and by hacking into companies/corporations, you got
"credits" that you would use to buy new computers/network links.

Somewhat like the "DopeWars" game (on this one, you're a drug dealer and
have to make money thru sell/buy drugs, to pay a loan) but with
computers instead of drugs.

But now, I don't have my TI-89 calculator anymore :(

Q: Does someone knows if is there a similar game for MS-DOS or Windows?

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Canoas, Brazil - 29.55° S / 51.11° W

"People told me I can't dress like a fairy.
I say, I'm in a rock band and I can do what the hell I want!"
-- Amy Lee
1 answer Last reply
More about game hacking simulation
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

    Chaos Master <e-mail@is.INVALID> wrote:
    >Hello!
    >
    >Once, on my TI-89 calculator, I had a game which was a "hacking
    >simulation": you started with a basic computer system (terminal +
    >2400bps modem) and by hacking into companies/corporations, you got
    >"credits" that you would use to buy new computers/network links.
    >
    >Somewhat like the "DopeWars" game (on this one, you're a drug dealer and
    >have to make money thru sell/buy drugs, to pay a loan) but with
    >computers instead of drugs.
    >
    >But now, I don't have my TI-89 calculator anymore :(
    >
    >Q: Does someone knows if is there a similar game for MS-DOS or Windows?

    Decker, freeware.
    http://www.caro.net/dsi/decker/
    "Welcome to the 22nd century. In the game of Decker, you are a hacker
    who specializes in breaking into corporate computer systems, for which
    you are handsomely paid. Of course, these corporations don’t idly sit by
    and allow you free run of their systems. The systems are guarded by
    Intrusion Countermeasure programs (ICE), which attempt to kick you out
    of the system, or possibly even kill you.

    The basic equipment of a Decker is the cyberdeck. This wonderful piece
    of hardware plugs directly into your brain in order to allow you
    experience the full virtual reality world of the matrix. While in the
    matrix, you use programs to attempt to bypass the security measures of
    the corporate systems, or to crash them if all else fails.

    You start out unskilled, unknown, and underequipped, but as you gain
    experience, you will increase your skills, hardware, and reputation in
    order to combat more difficult and dangerous systems. That is, if you
    don’t get your brain fried in the process."

    Uplink, commercial indie.
    http://www.uplink.co.uk/
    "You play an Uplink Agent who makes a living by performing jobs for
    major corporations. Your tasks involve hacking into rival computer
    systems, stealing research data, sabotaging other companies, laundering
    money, erasing evidence, or framing innocent people.

    You use the money you earn to upgrade your computer systems, and to buy
    new software and tools. As your experience level increases you find more
    dangerous and profitable missions become available. You can speculate on
    a fully working stock market (and even influence its outcome). You can
    modify peoples academic or criminal records. You can divert money from
    bank transfers into your own accounts. You can even take part in the
    construction of the most deadly computer virus ever designed."

    Hacker 1 & 2, out of print commercial. Probably not the same gameplay
    but the same theme - a hacking sim.
    "A different kind of adventure game, Hacker contained no instructions or
    clues other than some simple loading instructions common to any game.
    All you saw when you first entered the game was the word LOGIN. You
    needed to figure out the rest of the game yourself, which turned out not
    to be easy. Though the game was primarily a treasure hunt adventure
    where you ferried objects between people and continents, Hacker was a
    very original and unusal concept that worked out rather well and was
    still somewhat difficult. If you can find it around today (unlikely, but
    probably not impossible), it is probably worth your time."

    I think the old adventure game Neuromancer involves that kind of thing
    too.

Hacking Games Video Games