Soundblaster drivers UPDATE: w00t! it works!

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well I've been looking for a way to get my digital out working on my 5.1 Live! card. I tried ALSA, OSS, the emu10k1 module from the gentoo ebuilds, and nothing has worked. I just came across <A HREF="http://www.euronet.nl/~mailme/" target="_new">this site</A> and found what looks to be a very good resource.

I'm compiling thunderbird right now, with a new kernel coming up right behind it, so it might be a little while before I get to compiling/installing these drivers. I *hope* this works :)

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've tried a few times and failed, but I'm pretty sure I've got it worked out this time... just waiting on another kernel compile here. Once that's done it should just be a quick matter of re-compiling the sound module and running the config program. It should work; the options I need (ac3 passthrough, enable digital out, enable multichannel surround) are all there.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Okay it works now. I was such a tool when it came to the config programs as they didn't seem to work at all. I went through a few extra kernel compiles for nothing too :p

Anyways, here's how you do it:

1. Go to that link I posted in the first post.

2. Where it says there are "currently 4 drivers" get the 2nd one. That's the <A HREF="http://opensource.creative.com/" target="_new">Open Source GPL developed driver</A>

3. Untar/zip the driver download and read the /docs/README file. Pay particular attention to what you can have enabled in your kernel. You should just have sound support enabled in the kernel, and NOTHING ELSE, not even compiled as a module. Yes, that's right, no emu10k1/etc support.

4. Reboot to your new kernel if you had to compile a new one

5. Follow the simple compile instructions for the driver. It's just "make" "make" "make install" "make tools" "make install-tools" IIRC. Simple.

I got all that just fine, but I had major problems from here on in all due to my stupidity.

I tried running emu-config but nothing seemed to happen. This config isn't a separate program that pops up and lets you make changes, it's a console driven thing. In the readme file it tells you the options you have to pass to it.

emu-config -d

at the console sets digital output on. The other options are listed there too.

w00t! It works :)

Kinda sucks for me cause I somehow managed to lose my mixer support (which was working before), and now I want it back lol. Ah well, that'll be for tomorrow.

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
Nice. I hope you get that mixer working though...

Just think, now you're the resident expert on digital audio under Linux. :smile:

<i>SCO is to Linux what a flea is to a dog.</i>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I got the mixer working (last night too hehe). The gnome volume control/mixer said it couldn't find anything at /dev/sound/mixer, yet aumix worked fine. A simple reboot fixed that though. Okay, so I guess I didn't really do anything :)

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
" A simple reboot fixed that though. Okay, so I guess I didn't really do anything :)"

I know windoze admins who think that's work. :)

Nice you got this working. I'm seriously thinking about setting up a Linux knowledge base so people can search for problems like this and find other users descriptions of what they did to fix it. The only thing that stops me is I have too many projects going on right now. But damned if the community doesn't need something like that.

<i>SCO is to Linux what a flea is to a dog.</i>