Closed

Cannot open microsoft pages at all

Hello All

I cannot open any microsoft owned pages, such as www.msn.dk, www.msn.com,
www.microsoft.com, www.windowsupdate.com, www.windows.com or any other - on
my other pc.

I've had this problem for a few weeks and it persists even in firefox.
I just formatted my c: and reinstalled winxp, and still the problem persists.

This laptop from which i am posting now is behind the same router as the
other pc.
I really need some help, please?

PS: any other websites work fine.
16 answers Last reply
More about cannot open microsoft pages

    "Claus" <Claus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello All
    >
    > I cannot open any microsoft owned pages, such as www.msn.dk, www.msn.com,
    > www.microsoft.com, www.windowsupdate.com, www.windows.com or any other -
    > on
    > my other pc.
    >
    > I've had this problem for a few weeks and it persists even in firefox.
    > I just formatted my c: and reinstalled winxp, and still the problem
    > persists.
    >
    > This laptop from which i am posting now is behind the same router as the
    > other pc.
    > I really need some help, please?
    >
    > PS: any other websites work fine.

    I have noticed that some Microsoft sites have been intermittant for a couple
    of weeks. I have had many customers complain that their home page "msn.com"
    or "msn.ca" isn't working. If they click on refresh it sometimes comes up.
    It is only Microsoft sites. This is on many different computers. So far all
    the computers have been hooked up to Shaw Cable. I put it down to a problem
    with their DNS servers but if others are having problems maybe it is
    something deeper.

    Kerry

    On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 03:31:06 -0700, Claus wrote:

    > Hello All
    >
    > I cannot open any microsoft owned pages, such as www.msn.dk, www.msn.com,
    > www.microsoft.com, www.windowsupdate.com, www.windows.com or any other - on
    > my other pc.
    >
    > I've had this problem for a few weeks and it persists even in firefox.
    > I just formatted my c: and reinstalled winxp, and still the problem persists.
    >
    > This laptop from which i am posting now is behind the same router as the
    > other pc.
    > I really need some help, please?
    >
    > PS: any other websites work fine.

    HOSTS file?
    Use Notepad to check entries in that file.
    Path to file:
    ..\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

    Default contents of the file is an entry for the loopback IP only:
    127.0.0.1 localhost

    If the MS sites have been added here, they may have been added in a way
    that is blocking access to them.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Unfortunately it wasnt in the hosts file
    Theres only the 127 thingie there

    /Claus

    Claus wrote:
    > Hello All
    >
    > I cannot open any microsoft owned pages, such as www.msn.dk, www.msn.com,
    > www.microsoft.com, www.windowsupdate.com, www.windows.com or any other - on
    > my other pc.
    >
    > I've had this problem for a few weeks and it persists even in firefox.
    > I just formatted my c: and reinstalled winxp, and still the problem persists.
    >
    > This laptop from which i am posting now is behind the same router as the
    > other pc.
    > I really need some help, please?
    >
    > PS: any other websites work fine.

    Add the domains as trusted sites to your Firewall.

    "Gordon" wrote:

    > Claus wrote:
    > > Hello All
    > >
    > > I cannot open any microsoft owned pages, such as www.msn.dk, www.msn.com,
    > > www.microsoft.com, www.windowsupdate.com, www.windows.com or any other - on
    > > my other pc.
    > >
    > > I've had this problem for a few weeks and it persists even in firefox.
    > > I just formatted my c: and reinstalled winxp, and still the problem persists.
    > >
    > > This laptop from which i am posting now is behind the same router as the
    > > other pc.
    > > I really need some help, please?
    > >
    > > PS: any other websites work fine.
    >
    >Gordon: Add the domains as trusted sites to your Firewall.

    Claus: Didnt help any to add the sites to my trusted sites in my windows
    firewall. I have no other firewall.

    "Gordon" wrote:

    > Claus wrote:
    > > Hello All
    > >
    > > I cannot open any microsoft owned pages, such as www.msn.dk, www.msn.com,
    > > www.microsoft.com, www.windowsupdate.com, www.windows.com or any other - on
    > > my other pc.
    > >
    > > I've had this problem for a few weeks and it persists even in firefox.
    > > I just formatted my c: and reinstalled winxp, and still the problem persists.
    > >
    > > This laptop from which i am posting now is behind the same router as the
    > > other pc.
    > > I really need some help, please?
    > >
    > > PS: any other websites work fine.
    >
    > Add the domains as trusted sites to your Firewall.

    Claus: thanks but no succes - adding them to my windows firewall didnt help

    Persists even in Firefox? Does that mean you have tried to access them via
    I.E.?
    My guess is that it's spyware. If you don't have Ad-Aware S.E. or Spybot
    Search and Destroy, you should download and install them. Once installed,
    check for updates, then run both programs..they are very similar programs
    and will do much the same thing, but I have found that at times Ad-Aware
    will find something that Spybot doesn't, and visa-versa.
    You can find freeware versions here,
    http://majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

    > "Gordon" wrote:
    >
    >> Claus wrote:
    >> > Hello All
    >> >
    >> > I cannot open any microsoft owned pages, such as www.msn.dk,
    >> > www.msn.com,
    >> > www.microsoft.com, www.windowsupdate.com, www.windows.com or any
    >> > other - on
    >> > my other pc.
    >> >
    >> > I've had this problem for a few weeks and it persists even in firefox.
    >> > I just formatted my c: and reinstalled winxp, and still the problem
    >> > persists.
    >> >
    >> > This laptop from which i am posting now is behind the same router as
    >> > the
    >> > other pc.
    >> > I really need some help, please?
    >> >
    >> > PS: any other websites work fine.
    >>
    >>Gordon: Add the domains as trusted sites to your Firewall.
    >>
    > Claus: Didnt help any to add the sites to my trusted sites in my windows
    > firewall. I have no other firewall.

    Tried all hijack this, adaware, and so on spyremovers.

    Didnt find anything malicious at all - after all I just reformatted before
    posting this problem.

    Then yesterday my father-in-law came visiting and we hooked his laptop up to
    my Linksys WAG-54 router and his laptop has exactly the same problem.

    So im thinking maybe the problem is router-related instead of OS related -
    the problem is exactly identical on 2 different pc's.

    What do others think?
    Any idea what it can be?

    "Claus" wrote:

    > Hello All
    >
    > I cannot open any microsoft owned pages, such as www.msn.dk, www.msn.com,
    > www.microsoft.com, www.windowsupdate.com, www.windows.com or any other - on
    > my other pc.
    >
    > I've had this problem for a few weeks and it persists even in firefox.
    > I just formatted my c: and reinstalled winxp, and still the problem persists.
    >
    > This laptop from which i am posting now is behind the same router as the
    > other pc.
    > I really need some help, please?
    >
    > PS: any other websites work fine.
  9. Hi ,

    I exactly had the same problem from the past 2 years !

    You have to either reduce the size of MTU packet in your computer or your router

    Find out how to reduce MTU size in other forums

    This works perfectly .
  10. I just started to experience this problem, and now i'm kinda clueless.

    I reinstalled the Windows XP, installed manufacturer drivers, then a mobile internet stick, and still no microsoft pages at all, but all the rest works.

    -theres no router, so no mtu problem
    -i tried the notebook with a WiFi network as well, the problem still persist.
    -checked for viruses, and spywares with avast and Spybot S&D, not any
    -checked the HOST file, its empty
    -checked lmhosts, empty
    -checked image hijacks and autoruns with Sysinternals' auturons and Process Explorer, nothing

    -its surely some url blocking problem, i was trying to access windowsupdate, its error 404. I checked the ip of windowsupdate.microsoft.com with nslookup, and tried the windowsupdate url with IP, and it working! Tho it cannot install the active-X and so on, because all the redirects point to urls, not IP-s.

    So where else could there be URL blocking, if not in hosts, router, image hijack, url hijack? Any solutions so far?
  11. sainthog said:
[...]

    I HAVE THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM I HAVE FORMATED REINSTALLED ONLY DRIVER NOT OTHER SOFTWARE AND THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE I CANT GO ON MICROSOFT SITE MALWARBYTES.COM AND OTHER ANTIMALWARE SITES .... SO I THINK THIS IS NOT PROBLEM WITH WINDOWS FILE SYSTEM I THINK IS BETWEEN THE THE WIRELESS CARD AND THE ROUTER ... I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO SAY THAT I HAVE 1 PC 1 LAPTOP AND IM CONNECTING TO 3 DIFFERENT WIFI CONNECTION THAT HAVE 3 DIFFERENT ROUTER AND THE PROBLEM IS ON MY PC MY LAPTOP WORK VERRY GOOD I CAN SURF ON MICROSOFT SITE AND ALL OTHER SITES ITS ONLY MY PC THE PROBLEM EVEN IF I CHANGE MY CONNECTION TO ONOTHER ROUTER I GET THE SAME PROBLEM
    MICROSOFT OR INTERNET PROVIDER SHOULD DO SOMETHING VERRY QUICK ITS DOSENT MAKE SENCE ALLOT OF PEOPLE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM ..... SO..... MICRO$OFT FIX THIS PROBLEM PLZ ..... YOU JUST HAVE TO HIRE SOME MORE PEOPLE TO YOUR MONOPOLE TO FIX THIS PROBLEM ;) CYA
  12. I have the same problem with WIFI router BELKIN. I got that if enable the security WPA or WPA2 I cannot navigate to any GOOGLE websites.

    This is REALLY STRANGE.
  13. Hello folks,

    Have just found this site searching on my lap-top, as my PC is suffering the symptoms you guys list above.

    It started with MSN Messenger which could not access my e-mails quoting some port setting problem, so I decided to remove the programme and download fresh software, but that is where the problems started. I can not access any microsoft pages and MSN to download Live/mesenger??

    I am using a Netgear Router for Wi-Fi connection but this has worked fine for a few months, until just recently.

    I can go to most web pages in favourites, but not through Google search, and none that are assigned to Microsoft!

    Any other pointers? I have run spy-ware ad-ware scans and its all clear. I agree that something (some setting) must be prohibiting some sites - but what? :-(

    Any pointers gratefully received.

    Rgds
    Simon
    Wiltshire, UK
  14. Hi Simon !!

    Just disable the Windows DNS Client Service

    Regards

    Quote:
[...]

  15. None of these fixes work at all.

    Clean pc, completely clean, down to a .01% fragmentation level. Jesus.

    I am also a user of shaw cable's internet service in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

    There are a considerable amount of pages I cannot visit but all related to downloading anti spyware or online virus checking sites/software. Among the rest are all microsoft sites.

    The only thing I haven't tried is calling my ISP and asking why the hell they are stopping me from accessing these sites.

    I am now directly connected to my modem, got rid of my wireless card as well as the router. This problem continues to occur wireless or hardwired, firewall on or not.

    I've also tried custom defining my dns servers thru my ISP, and this is not working at all. I was unable to find any way to turn off my dns client service.

    Thank you for your help.

    Michael.

MSN Support Microsoft Windows XP