d-link DI524 seems to block outside access

installed a d-link DI-524.
thought all was well till i asked someone to hit my website.
no go.
no ping, no ftp, no http outside of my network.
all was working fine with linksys router before.
i spoke with 6 different tech support guys from d-link and no answers other
than to verify (6 times!) that my setup was correct.
anyone have a clue?

UH
you could mention other things, such as if your router's firewall is enabled
or not............etc.

I will ASSuME that you are hosting a website that is not allowing anyone
else to see it but you.

I am only a newbie, but am trying to learn things myself so please include
more of the router's settings. :)
And what about the Demilitarized Zone? Maybe this needs to be activated????
later,
dave
Also with a DI-524

"dave AKA vwdoc1" <NO_vwdoc1_SPAM_@hotmail.com_PLEASE> wrote in message news:<zeRvc.1059$884.369@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>...
> UH
> you could mention other things, such as if your router's firewall is enabled
> or not............etc.
>
> I will ASSuME that you are hosting a website that is not allowing anyone
> else to see it but you.
>
> I am only a newbie, but am trying to learn things myself so please include
> more of the router's settings. :)
> And what about the Demilitarized Zone? Maybe this needs to be activated????
> later,
> dave
> Also with a DI-524
>
> "mcnews" <mcourter@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > installed a d-link DI-524.
> > thought all was well till i asked someone to hit my website.
> > no go.
> > no ping, no ftp, no http outside of my network.
> > all was working fine with linksys router before.
> > i spoke with 6 different tech support guys from d-link and no answers
> other
> > than to verify (6 times!) that my setup was correct.
> > anyone have a clue?

i had hoped that it would be obvious that all settings had been
checked over by the 6 help desk techs i spoke with.

It may be obvious that tech support checked over your settings, but you're
asking US for help. To help you, we need the facts.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

> "dave AKA vwdoc1" <NO_vwdoc1_SPAM_@hotmail.com_PLEASE> wrote in message
> > UH
> > you could mention other things, such as if your router's firewall is
enabled
> > or not............etc.
> >
> > I will ASSuME that you are hosting a website that is not allowing anyone
> > else to see it but you.
> >
> > I am only a newbie, but am trying to learn things myself so please
include
> > more of the router's settings. :)
> > And what about the Demilitarized Zone? Maybe this needs to be
activated????
> > later,
> > dave
> > Also with a DI-524
> >
> > "mcnews" <mcourter@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > > installed a d-link DI-524.
> > > thought all was well till i asked someone to hit my website.
> > > no go.
> > > no ping, no ftp, no http outside of my network.
> > > all was working fine with linksys router before.
> > > i spoke with 6 different tech support guys from d-link and no answers
> > other
> > > than to verify (6 times!) that my setup was correct.
> > > anyone have a clue?
> > >

> i had hoped that it would be obvious that all settings had been
> checked over by the 6 help desk techs i spoke with.

> It may be obvious that tech support checked over your settings, but you're
> asking US for help. To help you, we need the facts.

with all due respect - not trying to invite flames here.
i just guessing that anyone who new routers and wireless would know what
would typically be checked by a tech's script. point being that if i went
over the config script 4 times that all obvious things like firewall, DMZ
tec would have been looked at. just trying to save time and get to the
point. i was hoping someone would have encoutered this exact problem and
know what to do.

remember - this is usenet...

True that the techs have checked "everything" out, but sometimes we like to
ask the simple questions too.
I have accidently solved DSL connect problems that the Ameritech DSL techs
had given up on, or could not solve. Of course they said it was my computer
causing problems and I needed to reload Windows and all other programs so I
could regain internet access...........NOT!

I have seen autos towed into shops and many "techs" could not solve the
problem quickly as to why the engine stalled out and would not restart. But
with NO GAS in the tank I guess the engine would not start. lol
Sometimes the simple things need to be checked and rechecked! <g>
So you could post your router settings for a better understanding of what is
going on.
I am wondering if you have a firewall on that computer. I believe you said
that your old Linksys worked fine, so maybe I am asking the wrong questions,
unless the Linksys could bypass the firewall.

I am trying to learn about my router also and will keep the important and
informative posts for future reference! ;-)
I guess I don't know what to ask, so good luck with solving your DI-524
problem.
Maybe it is a ISP problem or option!
later,
dave

> > It may be obvious that tech support checked over your settings, but
you're
> > asking US for help. To help you, we need the facts.
> >

> with all due respect - not trying to invite flames here.
> i just guessing that anyone who new routers and wireless would know what
> would typically be checked by a tech's script. point being that if i went
> over the config script 4 times that all obvious things like firewall, DMZ
> tec would have been looked at. just trying to save time and get to the
> point. i was hoping someone would have encoutered this exact problem and
> know what to do.
>
> remember - this is usenet...

> True that the techs have checked "everything" out, but sometimes we like
> ask the simple questions too.
> I have accidently solved DSL connect problems that the Ameritech DSL techs
> had given up on, or could not solve. Of course they said it was my
computer
> causing problems and I needed to reload Windows and all other programs so
> could regain internet access...........NOT!
>
> I have seen autos towed into shops and many "techs" could not solve the
> problem quickly as to why the engine stalled out and would not restart.
But
> with NO GAS in the tank I guess the engine would not start. lol
> Sometimes the simple things need to be checked and rechecked! <g>
> So you could post your router settings for a better understanding of what
is
> going on.
> I am wondering if you have a firewall on that computer. I believe you
said
> that your old Linksys worked fine, so maybe I am asking the wrong
questions,
> unless the Linksys could bypass the firewall.
>
> I am trying to learn about my router also and will keep the important and
> informative posts for future reference! ;-)
> I guess I don't know what to ask, so good luck with solving your DI-524
> problem.
> Maybe it is a ISP problem or option!

you sound like a nice guy dave and your point is well taken.
but yours is the kind of response i was hoping to avoid - long with no
answers or
even good questions. also, i didn't say i have a problem with a computer, i
said computers
outside my private network can not HTTP, FTP, VNC, VPN or even ping to my
static IP address, but all machines on my private network can.
i also stated that my windows 2000 IIS webserver has been running fine
with current ISP for over a year using a LinkSys wired router - and it still
works fine.
i am not trying to be rude or appear "smarter than thou" or anything - just
trying
to get to the point.
i would think that a person who knew the drill would be able to determine
from
the information that i provided that certain issues have been addressed.
like:
- HTTP, FTP, and VNC virtual server has been addressed to the IP of the
webserver and is enabled
- DMZ has been enabled (but really shouldn't need to be)
- VPN has been enabled
- 3 ports were opened for VNC (56xx, 58xx, and 59xx.)
- my static IP address is valid and shows up on the status page of the
router's configuration application
- the router's firmware has been upgraded to lastest version.
- tried opening another port with assumption that 80 was blocked by ISP even
though port 80 works fine with LinkSys router
- tried to set webserver IP to one within the router's DHCP range.
- verified that router firewall is enabled and that no software firewall is
running.

i hope i didn't leave anything off.
most of things things were patiently checked 4 times.
i am not posting this to enjoy friendly chat or make friends or enemies.
just hoping for some good advice.
that is why i came to the "experts."
i will and have provided the same in other user groups.

"mcnewsxp" <mcourter@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> i am not trying to be rude or appear "smarter than thou" or anything -
just
> trying
> to get to the point.
> i would think that a person who knew the drill would be able to determine
> from
> the information that i provided that certain issues have been addressed.
> most of things things were patiently checked 4 times.

But they didn't find the problem. So not only can't we be sure that they
checked it correctly, we may need the information anyway just to understand
the whole situation.

> i am not posting this to enjoy friendly chat or make friends or enemies.

That doesn't mean you can't be friendly. We're all volunteers here.

> just hoping for some good advice.
> that is why i came to the "experts."

Why did you put "experts" in quotes (again)?

> i will and have provided the same in other user groups.
> remember - this is usenet...

I'm missing your point that "this is usenet." Does that mean to remember
that this is an impersonal medium? If so, does that mean we should
intentionally be impersonal, or maybe we should go out of our way to
counteract the impersonal nature of the medium?

many people on usenet read into simple plain words things that are not
there. usenet doesn't apply rules of conversation unless you subscribe to
moderated groups.

i was trying to arouse the attention of an expert who had experienced my
probelm and avoid dialog like this.

best,
mcnewsxp

I guess I usually use a flowchart to check things wrong with a vehicle.
Darn those logic classes at IIT!
Usually if another tech has a problem with solving a problem with a vehicle
and they call me, I ask "What did you check?" Then I can ask relevant
questions about the results and also what they didn't check. It seems to
make the repairs go quicker, unless I just need to see the vehicle. <g>
I thought that most intelligent problem solving is done this way, and
especially here so all can learn.
Maybe you have a defective DI-524 router!

I am sorry if I have given you no solutions to your problem and wish you
success in finding the solution.
I hope you post your solution when you do! :)

listening mode and no response necessary! ;-)
dave
Oh and BTW you could try lowering your MTU, but maybe the techs already told
you to do this, or maybe they didn't. I just don't know!

> many people on usenet read into simple plain words things that are not
> there. usenet doesn't apply rules of conversation unless you subscribe to
> moderated groups.
>
> i was trying to arouse the attention of an expert who had experienced my
> probelm and avoid dialog like this.
>
> best,
> mcnewsxp

Try clicking on the Advanced Tab then click on the DMZ button.
Enable DMZ and type in the last digits of the IP Address of the computer you
want to access from the outside.
Hope this works

--
check my web sites http://edward.heins.com
http://home.socal.rr.com/edheins/, and http://www.edheins.us

> [...]
> - the router's firmware has been upgraded to lastest version.
> - tried opening another port with assumption that 80 was blocked by ISP
even
> though port 80 works fine with LinkSys router
> - tried to set webserver IP to one within the router's DHCP range.
> - verified that router firewall is enabled and that no software firewall
is
> running.
>
> i hope i didn't leave anything off.
> most of things things were patiently checked 4 times.
> i am not posting this to enjoy friendly chat or make friends or enemies.
> just hoping for some good advice.
> that is why i came to the "experts."
> i will and have provided the same in other user groups.

> Try clicking on the Advanced Tab then click on the DMZ button.
> Enable DMZ and type in the last digits of the IP Address of the computer

i run a website so this solution isn't practicle.
i solved problem by using my old linksys router for gateway and using the
dlink for wireless switch only.
i like this solution because the DI524 only needs to be on when using the
laptop. this is good because the dlink runs a little hot and security is
better this way too.